KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 790 duke in Sydney Australia about a month ago, and just finding the average fuel consumption way too optimistic. so last fill up it averaged 3.7L/100KM, but in fact I've used just over 5L/100KM. Does anyone have similar issues? the Firmware version is 00.17. the Range hovers between 300 to 400KM just after fill up, which is kind of impossible to achieve.

One other strange thing that was happening the fuel gauge will be full everytime I start the bike, then it will go into its proper level in 5mins. But after the last fill up it seems to be behaving normally again. Very bizarre.

·
A d m i n .
151,125 Posts
I bought the 790 duke in Sydney Australia about a month ago, and just finding the average fuel consumption way too optimistic. so last fill up it averaged 3.7L/100KM, but in fact I've used just over 5L/100KM. Does anyone have similar issues? the Firmware version is 00.17. the Range hovers between 300 to 400KM just after fill up, which is kind of impossible to achieve.

One other strange thing that was happening the fuel gauge will be full everytime I start the bike, then it will go into its proper level in 5mins. But after the last fill up it seems to be behaving normally again. Very bizarre.
Hi Davo,

Welcome to our Group of 790 Dukers!

Fuel mpg/Km will vary wildly between all of us here, depending on if you're super-mellow with the gas/shifting/commuting, or if you're out rippin' on the daily romp. How many Km's are on your bike now?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Davo

They all appear overly optimistic. I’m certain after 5000 km that my actual average is 4.5 but trip computer reads 3.4 to 3.7. This causes the remaining range to be out by the same percentage

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hi Davo,

Welcome to our Group of 790 Dukers!

Fuel mpg/Km will vary wildly between all of us here, depending on if you're super-mellow with the gas/shifting/commuting, or if you're out rippin' on the daily romp. How many Km's are on your bike now?
Thanks for the reply JD. It's hard not to give it the beans time to time, although I'm still in the break in period so I try to restrain myself a bit. The bike has done about 700km so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Davo,

I was curious about fuel consumption, accuracy of speedo and odometer a while back. Did some comparisons against my gps. I ought to repeat the exercise to see if the results remain valid but here's a link to the original work I did: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2019/05/one-for-engineers-or-techos-amongst-us.html .

Cheers,

Geoff
Wow Geoff, awesome review. I checked my speedo vs gps and they are around 2 to 3 percent difference, so in that regard it's pretty accurate. Much better than my old mt03 which was 10 percent off. But the fuel calculation on the Duke is rubbish... LoL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Davo

They all appear overly optimistic. I’m certain after 5000 km that my actual average is 4.5 but trip computer reads 3.4 to 3.7. This causes the remaining range to be out by the same percentage
Hey Magoo. Looks like your consumption figure is out by roughly the same as mine. So I reckon this is a standard Duke issue

·
Registered
832 Posts
Mine seems to be pretty close to real. Usually filling up with about 300km on the trip and takes about 12L. Varies a bit depending on my riding - but seems fine to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine seems to be pretty close to real. Usually filling up with about 300km on the trip and takes about 12L. Varies a bit depending on my riding - but seems fine to me.
Hey Barbagris, which firmware version do yo have? Mine is 00.17

·
Registered
832 Posts
If I understand the dash correctly I'm on 1.02.

If you are on 00.17 then it is also very possible that the ECU maps are outdated. My 790 was second hand so I took it to KTM and had it brought up to date. There were 3 upgrades DASH, ECU and HEADLIGHT. The DASH clock was not working so the DASH was replaced anyway 14 days later.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Wow Geoff, awesome review. I checked my speedo vs gps and they are around 2 to 3 percent difference, so in that regard it's pretty accurate. Much better than my old mt03 which was 10 percent off. But the fuel calculation on the Duke is rubbish... LoL
Thanks Davo,

Unfortunately, the second check of readings against my GPS is going to have to wait. I have a torn retina in one eye and found out today that I need urgent surgery in case it causes retinal detachment. Not the normal fast laser job either. Got to go in on Monday and if all goes well, won't be able to ride until early January. Missing a chunk of our summer. I must have done something bad in a past life, sigh.... :devil:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Davo,

Unfortunately, the second check of readings against my GPS is going to have to wait. I have a torn retina in one eye and found out today that I need urgent surgery in case it causes retinal detachment. Not the normal fast laser job either. Got to go in on Monday and if all goes well, won't be able to ride until early January. Missing a chunk of our summer. I must have done something bad in a past life, sigh....
Oh that doesn't sound pleasant Geoff. Best of luck with your surgery!Hope to see you on the saddle soon!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I understand the dash correctly I'm on 1.02.

If you are on 00.17 then it is also very possible that the ECU maps are outdated. My 790 was second hand so I took it to KTM and had it brought up to date. There were 3 upgrades DASH, ECU and HEADLIGHT. The DASH clock was not working so the DASH was replaced anyway 14 days later.
Yeah it looks like my software is a bit dated. Funnily I asked my dealer when I picked it up whether the software has been checked during the delivery check up. And he said it's all the latest! What a load of BS!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had. nice wether this Christmas so I have been able to go on a lot of mountain road rides. I fill up after every ride. My typical ride will be about 60 miles, it will take 1.5 gallons to fill it up and the bike will tell me that I got 67 miles/gallon. I'm not a math major, but I would say that is a bit optimistic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
With a full tank I can only get about 240km so around 17km per litre. When I fill it up it says 280km estimated, but then it sort of corrects itself after around 190km left and is normally only 10km off the reading, so when it says 0km left, I know I have about 10km to find a gas station before it runs out. When you first turn it on the gauge will be way off and say 80km or a few times 520km, only when the bike is properly heated up it will display semi-accurate figures. My dashboard hasn't ever been updated and I still have the service message from the 1k. I'm at 8km (dealership is like 800 miles away).

It's supposed to do 20-25km/l supposedly, but I would never expect 25, but if I could get 20km per litre that would be great.

I don't push it that hard, normally gear up at 5000 rpms so wouldn't think I'm causing so much stress on the engine.

KTM 790 Duke MPG - Actual MPG from 12 KTM 790 Duke owners not sure how accurate that is, but they're all average 21.7km/l on a 2018 model and 19.8 on a 2019. Mine is 2018.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts