KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Thought i would throw my two cents in here about my new Austin racing exhaust to give more information to the curious about adding to their bikes.

I just got my 790 duke a little over a month ago. I was not happy with how quiet it was, so i broke down and bought the Austin Racing GPR1 with decat and the ATOM programming device (A wallet shattering 2000 US dollars, OUCH!). All i have to say is, it is INSANELY loud. I love loud exhausts, but it is just almost too much and you will need ear plugs if you value your long-term hearing. I know there aren't many videos of it on youtube, and for the ones that are on there, the cameras microphone just does not do any justice for how loud it actually it. My friend has a straight piped 1290 Super Duke and it is almost just as loud, but with a slightly higher-pitched tone to it. They do provide a DB killer along with your purchase, so i will definitely be installing it to help with the noise, and give it a little more back-pressure. Even with the ATOM installed, it seems a little sputtery when trying to keep it under 25 MPH for school zones and residential areas.

With the negativity aside, it does sound absolutely amazing. It sounds like a FZ-07 on steroids. I'll be uploading a detailed video to youtube in the next day or so and post the link here. With the ATOM device, the mid-range power gains are very noticeable compared to stock. Overall, i am satisfied with my purchase. Since the 790 is so new (especially here in the states) aftermarket parts are still limited. I think the Austin looks the best out of all of the options out there thus far, I just wish it didn't cost so **** much.

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
^^ Cheers Alex. The Austin price put it out of my reach, plus i don't think id want my bike to be that loud. Putting the baffle in may help with your low speed fueling.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The (European) stock silencer is already much louder than my former TRX and CBR600, or at least has a much more distinctive noise fingerprint.
When I moved to the Duke my wife started mentioning she heard me arriving and it never happened before.

·
a d m i n .
151,148 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Alex..! Thank you for your insight on your AR exhaust.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the AR slip-on on mine and considered the mid-pipe but after watching a few clips... it's just too bloody loud.

I have two other bikes with AR exhaust straight through (one with an open dry clutch) and they are really loud, this bike is my commuter and it barks even with the cat. I'd love to save the weight but no, not gonna do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello all. Thought i would throw my two cents in here about my new Austin racing exhaust to give more information to the curious about adding to their bikes.

I just got my 790 duke a little over
a month ago. I was not happy with how quiet it was, so i broke down and bought the Austin Racing GPR1 with decat and the ATOM programming device (A wallet shattering 2000 US dollars, OUCH!). All i have to say is, it is INSANELY loud. I love loud exhausts, but it is just almost too much and you will need ear plugs if you value your long-term hearing. I know there aren't many videos of it on youtube, and for the ones that are on there, the cameras microphone just does not do any justice for how loud it actually it. My friend has a straight piped 1290 Super Duke and it is almost just as loud, but with a slightly higher-pitched tone to it. They do provide a DB killer along with your purchase, so i will definitely be installing it to help with the noise, and give it a little more back-pressure. Even with the ATOM installed, it seems a little sputtery when trying to keep it under 25 MPH for school zones and residential areas.

With the negativity aside, it does sound absolutely amazing. It sounds like a FZ-07 on steroids. I'll be uploading a detailed video to youtube in the next day or so and post the link here. With the ATOM device, the mid-range power gains are very noticeable compared to stock. Overall, i am satisfied with my purchase. Since the 790 is so new (especially here in the states) aftermarket parts are still limited. I think the Austin looks the best out of all of the options out there thus far, I just wish it didn't cost so **** much.

So I bought the rs22 with the headers and atom unit. Installed the exhaust..... fairly easy. Went to install the atom and it won’t start. Contacted Austin racing, the had me send it back and sent me a new one, put that one on and it still don’t start. I think I’m hooking every thing up right but I’m not 100% sure. Is there any way you could send me a video or pictures of how u have it plugged in. I know it’s a pain in the a** to get to it but it would really help me out. Ty

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
So I bought the rs22 with the headers and atom unit. Installed the exhaust..... fairly easy. Went to install the atom and it won’t start. Contacted Austin racing, the had me send it back and sent me a new one, put that one on and it still don’t start. I think I’m hooking every thing up right but I’m not 100% sure. Is there any way you could send me a video or pictures of how u have it plugged in. I know it’s a pain in the a** to get to it but it would really help me out. Ty
If you plug it all back together as KTM ship it - does it start still? Did you send the ATOM CABLE back to AR as well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you plug it all back together as KTM ship it - does it start still? Did you send the ATOM CABLE back to AR as well?
Yes to both.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
KTM's seem to be a bit fussy. Saw issues yesterday with a 1290 at a main dealer. Another multi-marque workshop had bought it in as they could not get it to start.

If the parts were not all reconnected in a certain order it simply would not work. What order? - no idea but in 10mins the KTM guy had it working.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts