KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes! Would love to see an RC890! Aprilia has the RS660 now, so maybe not such a stretch for KTM....
Aprilia has sent out emails to Ape buyers that the RS660 is now "on it's way" to American dealers.

I'm curious what Aprilia was able to squeeze from the 1/2 Tuono engine they tossed in there. HP/cc ratio compared to KTM will be interesting. Early reports are 90+ which would be crazy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Another dick tease JD! No real release date yet. Just like the crap KTM pulled with releasing the 790 a year earlier in Europe.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From a racing standpoint, wouldn't you say this bike would be in the 600cc class, racing against CBR6, ZX6, R6, GSXR6 etc?
If so, seems like 80rwhp wouldn't really cut it compared to the above 6 hundies.
For MotoAmerica - it fits into the Twins Cup class for all of the technical rules which essentially is a middleweight twins class for SV650's, MT07's, Kawi EX650's, Ducati Monster 790, etc... but it would have to be tested and homologated which if it makes 90+ RWHP, I'm skeptical it will unless they give it a massive weight penalty. Stock it's a tick over 20lbs lighter than an SV650 and would make 20+ more ponies.

Up against 600cc I-4's it would get crushed - down 15+hp at least and those bikes all have 10 years of chassis development and technical know-how behind them. Top speeds alone would be 40kph difference (25mph) I'd guess.

MA tested the 790 Duke last year and immediately said NO CHANCE, I'm guessing it'll be the same for this Ape as it's the exact same weight on paper and has a claimed 5hp less (100 vs 105) so almost the same spec.

What a cool middleweight bike though - love it in black (minus the red seat and mis-matched wheel colors) and I bet it's gonna sound great.

·
A d m i n .
151,134 Posts
Yea, it really is a sweet ride. I agree about it getting crushed against the rr600’s, but man so cool that it can race up against sv650’s, which prolly pose little threat. 👵

·
Registered
82 Posts
Both the 660 and the 790 are great for the Lightweight, or Ultra lightweight club classes in CCS, FMRRA, WERA, ect...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts