KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do a custom tune on their stock 790? I wonder if some of that surging at low RPM could be fixed.

Even better would be also if on a flash if that dead spot the first few degrees of throttle could be adjusted, eliminated.

I see there are replacement ECUs but local tuner would much cheaper and more specific

·
Super Moderator
'20 Street Triple 765
639 Posts
Can opened.

Worms running everywhere.

Simple answer is one of two options available but neither are likely to be what you want to hear.

#1. Coober - sooooo much info on here about that unit and it's effects/benefits.
#2. PCV + Tune - not a reflash, just a tune. It's pricey IMO and offers very small gains but if you're only looking for the emissions crap dealt with and a smoother riding experience it's an upgrade.

Both the Coober and PCV route help make the bike smoother and some of the electronics are improved apparently - the QS for example.

·
a d m i n .
151,032 Posts
That’s a good question wt regard to flashing, as most everyone on my CBR1K forum simply sends their ECU’s out to a super-long time forum vendor, who flashes & returns the ecu within a week or so, all for under $200. For the CBR, it’s night & day difference. For me and many others, absolutely the best bang for the buck.

There has to be someone that does the Dukes..

·
Registered
101 Posts
That’s a good question wt regard to flashing, as most everyone on my CBR1K forum simply sends their ECU’s out to a super-long time forum vendor, who flashes & returns the ecu within a week or so, all for under $200. For the CBR, it’s night & day difference. For me and many others, absolutely the best bang for the buck.

There has to be someone that does the Dukes..
Junction 33 in the UK has done a few 790s and the dyno results look impressive. The stock AFRs are abysmal and he seems to sort them out well.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
173 Posts
Junction 33 in the UK has done a few 790s and the dyno results look impressive. The stock AFRs are abysmal and he seems to sort them out well.

Regarding Junction-33 in the UK, here are copies of recent correspondence that I have had with the very helpful and informative Andy Martindale of Junction-33 :-

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding the remapping of your KTM 790 Duke. My company owns one of these machines for development work and I have to date produced several tunes for this model to suit various configurations of exhaust set ups, including the completely stock machine. I have ridden the stock bike and I know exactly what you refer to in terms of the not so rideability at slow speeds. This one however with the remap is totally smooth with plenty more grunt and is amazing to ride.
What this also means is, is that it is not necessary for you to bring your bike to me as I already have a perfect map which I can write into your ECU that you can send to me in the post. I have remapped many in this way with perfect results every time.

The cost for this service is £250.00 plus £10.00 postage.

The modes are still operational, I have enhanced the Street and Sport mode throttle strategy maps and left the Rain mode as Rain mode should be.
The O2 Sensors are still attached and need to be as such. They will however not function as per normal as I have reprogrammed the way in which they are requested. This is so that the newly recalibrated Air flow fuelling maps can behave the way that I want them to for a nice A/F ratio operation. The dealer cannot detect that the maps are changed in the ECU, however if the dealer conducted an ECU reprogram update then the map would be lost and would need to be re installed at no extra cost to you. It is highly unlikely that this would ever be the case though, as all updates are now no longer performed on this model as it superseded by the 890 now.

I have attached a number of dyno charts depicting before and after runs. Stock blue trace remapped red trace. The improvements are very apparent.
I have also attached the ECU removal procedure video.

Many Thanks

Andy Martindale

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

Rectangle Slope Font Line Plot

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot

Rectangle Slope Font Triangle Plot

Junction-33 have maps for 790's in various states of tune. My bike is totally stock, so Andy forwarded these graphs which are appropriate for my (stock) bike.

The Air/fuel ratios appear to be outstandingly good and there are gains in torque and power everywhere. More importantly for me is smoothing out the throttle response and releasing the potential of the engine. It is particularly refreshing to see maps at the smaller throttle openings, which is much more pertinent in the real world of public road riding than just displaying full throttle graphs.

I did a similar re-map on my Yamaha MT-07 and it completely transformed the response and made the bike a huge pleasure to ride. So I have decided to take this final step and get the Junction-33 upgrade for my 790.

For me this is a logical step forward from the improvements that I felt whilst using the Booster Plug.

Anybody want a genuine Booster Plug going cheap? 😄

·
Registered
9 Posts
Regarding Junction-33 in the UK, here are copies of recent correspondence that I have had with the very helpful and informative Andy Martindale of Junction-33 :-

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding the remapping of your KTM 790 Duke. My company owns one of these machines for development work and I have to date produced several tunes for this model to suit various configurations of exhaust set ups, including the completely stock machine. I have ridden the stock bike and I know exactly what you refer to in terms of the not so rideability at slow speeds. This one however with the remap is totally smooth with plenty more grunt and is amazing to ride.
What this also means is, is that it is not necessary for you to bring your bike to me as I already have a perfect map which I can write into your ECU that you can send to me in the post. I have remapped many in this way with perfect results every time.

The modes are still operational, I have enhanced the Street and Sport mode throttle strategy maps and left the Rain mode as Rain mode should be.
The O2 Sensors are still attached and need to be as such. They will however not function as per normal as I have reprogrammed the way in which they are requested. This is so that the newly recalibrated Air flow fuelling maps can behave the way that I want them to for a nice A/F ratio operation. The dealer cannot detect that the maps are changed in the ECU, however if the dealer conducted an ECU reprogram update then the map would be lost and would need to be re installed at no extra cost to you. It is highly unlikely that this would ever be the case though, as all updates are now no longer performed on this model as it superseded by the 890 now.

I have attached a number of dyno charts depicting before and after runs. Stock blue trace remapped red trace. The improvements are very apparent.

Many Thanks

Andy Martindale

View attachment 8616

View attachment 8617

View attachment 8618

View attachment 8619

View attachment 8620

Junction-33 have maps for 790's in various states of tune. My bike is totally stock, so Andy forwarded these graphs which are appropriate for my (stock) bike.

The Air/fuel ratios appear to be outstandingly good and there are gains in torque and power everywhere. More importantly for me is smoothing out the throttle response and releasing the potential of the engine. It is particularly refreshing to see maps at the smaller throttle openings, which is much more pertinent in the real world of public road riding than just displaying full throttle graphs.

I did a similar re-map on my Yamaha MT-07 and it completely transformed the response and made the bike a huge pleasure to ride. So I have decided to take this final step and get the Junction-33 upgrade for my 790.

For me this is a logical step forward from the improvements that I felt whilst using the Booster Plug.

Had mine done by Andy at J33.

100% worth the money.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts

Many Thanks

Andy Martindale

View attachment 8616

View attachment 8617

View attachment 8618

View attachment 8619

View attachment 8620

That is a PROPER remap too - Not just WOT. Excellent.

But if J33 is not too far - I'd take it there. Nothing beats SEEING your Dno results.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
173 Posts
That is a PROPER remap too - Not just WOT. Excellent.

But if J33 is not too far - I'd take it there. Nothing beats SEEING your Dno results.
Agreed. Sadly it’s a moronic 300 mile motorway run for me, so I’ll have to post the ECU.
I’ll report back in due course. 👍

·
Registered
81 Posts

Many Thanks

Andy Martindale

View attachment 8616

View attachment 8617

View attachment 8618

View attachment 8619

View attachment 8620

Many Thanks

Andy Martindale

View attachment 8616

View attachment 8617

View attachment 8618

View attachment 8619

View attachment 8620

How would you rate the booster plug for everyday riding ?
I’ve thought about this option (BP) as a first try with regards to an Arrow de-cat pipe and Competition Werks exhaust.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
173 Posts
How would you rate the booster plug for everyday riding ?
I’ve thought about this option (BP) as a first try with regards to an Arrow de-cat pipe and Competition Werks exhaust.
There are lots of posts and links on this forum relating to Booster Plug. The majority of us have all experienced an improvement in smoothness and a more secure idle. Low/mid throttle response is better and there is no loss of top end power. The BP website explains it very clearly. It is not a complete fix but it is a step in the right direction, in combatting excessively lean A/F ratios, which you will probably have exacerbated by your current exhaust mods. So the BP should help your engine even more than it would with a stock bike. Ideally you need a professional remap or Coober type ECU. But as a cheap reliable easy fix the BP might stop your engine melting!

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are lots of posts and links on this forum relating to Booster Plug. The majority of us have all experienced an improvement in smoothness and a more secure idle. Low/mid throttle response is better and there is no loss of top end power. The BP website explains it very clearly. It is not a complete fix but it is a step in the right direction, in combatting excessively lean A/F ratios, which you will probably have exacerbated by your current exhaust mods. So the BP should help your engine even more than it would with a stock bike. Ideally you need a professional remap or Coober type ECU. But as a cheap reliable easy fix the BP might stop your engine melting!
haha - I certainly do not want the engine to melt !
I haven't fitted all the parts yet, still looking at the BP to purchase. For my needs it may be the better choice - for now at least.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
There is anecdotal evidence that over time the ECU basically starts to adapt and tune out the effects of the BP.
This almost certainly depends how you ride - as well as how often and how much.
My guess is that this will be even more the case on the Euro5 mapped ECUs.

Without doubt a bespoke reflash is the best bet.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
173 Posts
Junction33 Developments update :-

I remove my ECU and sent it to Junction33 Developments on Thursday 13 Jan. It came back fully remapped two days later. Amazing service! I re-fitted the ECU and fired up the engine. It immediately sounded strong and steady, idling with a lovely deep exhaust note at a rock steady 1800rpm from stone cold (ambient was 3 deg C), no wavering around or hunting. The deeper exhaust note sounds as if its a bigger engine.

Today I did a 30 mile country-lane ride. Start up was again at the same reassuring steady 1800 rpm cold idle (8deg C) Our UK roads have remained damp everywhere today - even more slippery than usual - so I did not attempt anything heroic on the twisties.

The throttle response is different. It is now completely progressive and devoid of any jerkiness or instability. In Street mode it actually feels to have similar light-throttle sensitivity to the original Sport mode. It is linear and no longer demands occasional de-clutching during town crawling. Hot idle is around 1500 rpm.

The main revelation is the amount of smooth power and torque that has been released. The bike is like a missile! Every time I opened more throttle the engine pulled like a raging bull, and it does this on all throttle openings. The torque and power just keep piling on and on. It a total hoot. The low rev torque reminded me of a BMW 1200 engine, except that the 790 Duke keeps pulling your arms off right up to 9500 rpm. Wow!

Surprising to me is that engine braking feels marginally stronger, even though closed-throttle hot idle is 300 rpm higher.

The characteristics on the road tally with the graphs. Performance right across the rev and throttle range is markedly improved. Its almost like I've gone half way towards 890 performance but with far smoother transitions.

If you want to release the full performance that KTM have designed into this engine, then I can assure you that the Junction33 software is a fully-sorted way to achieve this. My face hurts with smiling.

Reactions: barbagris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Junction33 Developments update :-

I remove my ECU and sent it to Junction33 Developments on Thursday 13 Jan. It came back fully remapped two days later. Amazing service! I re-fitted the ECU and fired up the engine. It immediately sounded strong and steady, idling with a lovely deep exhaust note at a rock steady 1800rpm from stone cold (ambient was 3 deg C), no wavering around or hunting. The deeper exhaust note sounds as if its a bigger engine.

Today I did a 30 mile country-lane ride. Start up was again at the same reassuring steady 1800 rpm cold idle (8deg C) Our UK roads have remained damp everywhere today - even more slippery than usual - so I did not attempt anything heroic on the twisties.

The throttle response is different. It is now completely progressive and devoid of any jerkiness or instability. In Street mode it actually feels to have similar light-throttle sensitivity to the original Sport mode. It is linear and no longer demands occasional de-clutching during town crawling. Hot idle is around 1500 rpm.

The main revelation is the amount of smooth power and torque that has been released. The bike is like a missile! Every time I opened more throttle the engine pulled like a raging bull, and it does this on all throttle openings. The torque and power just keep piling on and on. It a total hoot. The low rev torque reminded me of a BMW 1200 engine, except that the 790 Duke keeps pulling your arms off right up to 9500 rpm. Wow!

Surprising to me is that engine braking feels marginally stronger, even though closed-throttle hot idle is 300 rpm higher.

The characteristics on the road tally with the graphs. Performance right across the rev and throttle range is markedly improved. Its almost like I've gone half way towards 890 performance but with far smoother transitions.

If you want to release the full performance that KTM have designed into this engine, then I can assure you that the Junction33 software is a fully-sorted way to achieve this. My face hurts with smiling.
Great write up, sure Andy will be please with the feedback.

The main thing I noticed after I had mine done was that I didn’t realise how tense I was riding the bike.

Like when pulling off I’d tense up anticipating the jerkyness. Took me a little while to get used to the smoothness after the remap.

I seen one he done on his FB page with 107hp after the map which is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I need to get mine done, it's too snatchy for our tight local track. I'm not sure if the base mapping is the same between Canada and UK though. You guys are saying that the Junction33 map is more throttle responsive, yet smooth and progressive, but more engine braking? In our tight corners I'm getting fed up managing the unstable bucky-bronco narrow window between aggressive engine braking and aggressive part-throttle response, I just want to be able to be smooth. Maybe this map will help, it's just hard to separate out if it's just mixture killing me or the on/off throttle as well. I do really like how Junction33 actually tests at low throttle though, there's too many all-or-nothing maps for other bikes out there.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
173 Posts
I need to get mine done, it's too snatchy for our tight local track. I'm not sure if the base mapping is the same between Canada and UK though. You guys are saying that the Junction33 map is more throttle responsive, yet smooth and progressive, but more engine braking? In our tight corners I'm getting fed up managing the unstable bucky-bronco narrow window between aggressive engine braking and aggressive part-throttle response, I just want to be able to be smooth. Maybe this map will help, it's just hard to separate out if it's just mixture killing me or the on/off throttle as well. I do really like how Junction33 actually tests at low throttle though, there's too many all-or-nothing maps for other bikes out there.
As we all know, the constraints of Euro5 emissions have forced the engine manufacturers into air/fuel ratios so rarified that the engine is sometimes scavenging for fuel, and this has made the throttle response jerky, particularly when riding slowly.

The Junction33 mapping has freed the engine to show its real potential. Inevitably this has introduced more immediacy to the throttle, so you just need to learn the characteristics and respect the new increased power. The response throughout all degrees of throttle openings is instantaneous, that's the nature of the engine - its an exciting charger. It is not unpredictable - its just different. It has unleashed so much more torque that you need to treat the throttle respectfully. It feels like a more powerful bike with a bigger gruntier engine. But it is smooth and progressive and does not snatch.

Sometimes bespoke maps remove the fuel-overrun cut-off and this often reduces the engine braking. Not a big issue but its something that you have be aware of. However, to my pleasant surprise I still have strong engine braking. I don't know whether its more or less than the original but it is very similar. I don't know whether Andy Martindale has altered the fuel overrun cutoff but he is a very capable guy and, whatever he has changed, it has made everything a LOT better. I am confident that he knows what he's doing. This remap has both smoothed and unleashed. Amazing.

It is a difficult call for you in Canada. For example, in the UK we do not routinely have exhaust emissions checked during bike MOT's, so I am not expecting any problems there. The A/F graphs speak for themselves. The postage and time duration will be a sting for you in Canada.

Andy Martindale has a KTM 790 Duke at his business premises and has designed maps to suit several different states of tune, dependant on exhausts and other factors.

Drop him a line. He is very approachable, quick to respond and will discuss anything and everything that you are concerned about with this re-map.

[email protected]

(Usual disclaimers)

Reactions: Rick
1 - 20 of 26 Posts