KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alot of suggestions say to place the shifter knuckle at a perfect 90degrees when its installed. Doing this doesnt align the 2 sensors in the middle (I dont think they line up in the middle from factory either?) But just wondering where the sensor starts/stop working during the travel - shown in red. The yellow is 1 sensor and green is the other, not sure which is sender/receiver etc. Or is it when the 2 sensors dont have any red overlapping each other?

stole the pic from @Rick

·
Registered
305 Posts
The magnet piece on the shaft is pushed over a straight pin, it has only one position and is held down with a spring washer and circlip behind the splined arm (moved independently of the magnet). The sensor pickup bolted to the case is just detecting movement in either direction, which is calibrated by the dealer's scanner. The actual movement it needs to do the throttle control is very slight.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice so your saying any movement triggers it, or any movement past a certain length say like 3mm triggers it?

Im looking to understand, then i want to realign my shifter and build up my knowledge myself of wtf its doing - how its working at this setting vs that setting etc

·
Registered
305 Posts
It has to be quite small for the timing to work, but I don't have a measurement. At most, it must know before the selector arm on the shift shaft touches the posts under the detent star to rotate the drum. Having had all that apart on mine, there's not a lot of free movment to speak of or else our foot would be unhappy.

Basically, the sensor is calibrated to a very specific signal window, with a little extra room for signal debouncing.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
My understanding is that the detection is magnetic in origin. And that the KTM tool calibrates the sensitivity of the individual sensor.

I have seen similar with Hall Effect timing sensors where as little as 2 seconds of angle (1/30 of a degree) makes all the difference.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Setting the arm makes no difference. I am running gp shift and simply flipped arm 180 from factory and away I go. I can flip back in just a few minutes and normal shift works fine. The sensor has calibration required by ktm dealer tool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts