KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experience with the Nitron R3 on the 790?

Looking at the Nitron site, prices are extremely competitive, especially if they ship to the US (and excluding VAT). Looks like the R3 is around $800 (exc. VAT and pre-shipping). That's a great price for a custom shock with fast/slow/rebound damping (US price for same shock is over $1,000).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had a Nitron on a cbr600rr few years back quality bit of kit, I’d look at the k-tech offering as well as they do a fork kit also.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at what K-Tech offers for the Duke 790 rear, it looks like the Nitron R3 is a higher spec shock.

That said, any experience out there with the K-Tech shock on the Duke 790?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Looking at what K-Tech offers for the Duke 790 rear, it looks like the Nitron R3 is a higher spec shock.

That said, any experience out there with the K-Tech shock on the Duke 790?
No experience on the 790 but k-tech is highly rated here in the uk.
Sorry not being much help regards 790 but when I spoke with the guy who does my suspension he said go for k-tech over Nitron and he supplies both.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked with Nitron in the UK. They will not ship to the US. They referred me to their distributor, Fast Bike Industries, which I already know (I just didn't know that it is their exclusive US distributor).

It seems that the Ohlins 790 is less expensive (apples to apples) than the NTR3. Makes me wonder if that is just the best way to go (Ohlins).

·
Registered
284 Posts
I checked with Nitron in the UK. They will not ship to the US. They referred me to their distributor, Fast Bike Industries, which I already know (I just didn't know that it is their exclusive US distributor).

It seems that the Ohlins 790 is less expensive (apples to apples) than the NTR3. Makes me wonder if that is just the best way to go (Ohlins).
I don’t think the ohlins for the masses is as good as some of the others, I had the more expensive ohlins on my last 790 and it has no ride height adjustment which lets it down somewhat

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ive just ordered a R2 Nitron, well they had it in stock but i left my wallet at home, and didn't take a back pack (was on bike) so tomorrow i will pick up and fit.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Waiting for impressions.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Waiting for impressions.
Its bloody awesome mate. Chatting with the suspension shop owner/head tech, he said with the Ohlins it still most often needs re-valving to suit NZs roads, where as the Nitron out of the box is very compliant suspension, and all thats needed is to pick the correct spring for your weight. He said only the TTX Ohlins with the right valving tops the Nitron. And he's an Ohlins distributor for NZ. PS I'm 76 kgs, and it came with a 800fp spring, and i got them to fit a 750. Id say the 800 is set between the stock 130-160nm spring. So it would suit a rider around 85kgs.

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
had nitron on the street triple r, great bit of kit

usually a pick between ktech, maxton, nitron, if I was looking for a upgrade on the D790 would probably be nitron again

·
Registered
843 Posts
had nitron on the street triple r, great bit of kit

usually a pick between ktech, maxton, nitron, if I was looking for a upgrade on the D790 would probably be nitron again
I'm a big Maxton fan. But I feel inclined to ask DMX down the road from me for some input. They do alot of KTM work - mainly crossers, but......

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please let us know what you find out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts