KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals/mooses/meece,

I picked up my new 790 a month ago after cruising the forum here for any potential issues. I had been looking for a torquey upright bike to add to the stable, but nothing was really jumping out at me until the 790's showed up at the local dealer where my girlfriend works. I now have 1200km on it and loving it!

Few issues during break-in:
- Full throttle top of 2nd, try to shift to 3rd and it violently kicked back to 2nd. I didn't go that high of RPM often, it didn't do it in 3-4 shift.
- Once when trying to merge from an off-ramp in 1st the quickshifter found neutral instead of 2nd. Luckily the car slowed down for me so I had a chance to get it into gear without getting creamed.

It took 6 attempts to get the shift sensor alignment to work at the first service. When I rode it home after the first attempt I had no gear indicator and it would do a delayed shift up but wouldn't go down. Went back in the next day and after an hour of re-learns it finally worked. We were getting codes for shift shaft sensor faulty until the re-learn worked, then it was all clear. Hopefully my previous shifter issues will go away now. We noticed the shift rod was bent, but not binding anything, so there's a new one waiting for me.

Yesterday I had to ride it in the rain. I had heard of issues here with the fuel filler drain, so I checked it when the rain stopped when I was parked at the dealer. Big drink of water fell in, closed the cap as fast as I could. Tilted the bike up on the kickstand, opened the cap again and could see the huge puddle of water sitting over the drain hole and not moving. The bike was jerky riding home, I'll have to try and suck the puddle of water out from inside the tank. One of the mechanics was leaving for the day and saw me tilting the bike up, so I explained what happens and he says the Victory bikes were really bad for it too. I could unpinch or re-route the hose myself, but they get paid to do it and need to learn the issues for the future.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey guys/gals/mooses/meece,

I picked up my new 790 a month ago after cruising the forum here for any potential issues. I had been looking for a torquey upright bike to add to the stable, but nothing was really jumping out at me until the 790's showed up at the local dealer where my girlfriend works. I now have 1200km on it and loving it!

Few issues during break-in:
- Full throttle top of 2nd, try to shift to 3rd and it violently kicked back to 2nd. I didn't go that high of RPM often, it didn't do it in 3-4 shift.
- Once when trying to merge from an off-ramp in 1st the quickshifter found neutral instead of 2nd. Luckily the car slowed down for me so I had a chance to get it into gear without getting creamed.

It took 6 attempts to get the shift sensor alignment to work at the first service. When I rode it home after the first attempt I had no gear indicator and it would do a delayed shift up but wouldn't go down. Went back in the next day and after an hour of re-learns it finally worked. We were getting codes for shift shaft sensor faulty until the re-learn worked, then it was all clear. Hopefully my previous shifter issues will go away now. We noticed the shift rod was bent, but not binding anything, so there's a new one waiting for me.

Yesterday I had to ride it in the rain. I had heard of issues here with the fuel filler drain, so I checked it when the rain stopped when I was parked at the dealer. Big drink of water fell in, closed the cap as fast as I could. Tilted the bike up on the kickstand, opened the cap again and could see the huge puddle of water sitting over the drain hole and not moving. The bike was jerky riding home, I'll have to try and suck the puddle of water out from inside the tank. One of the mechanics was leaving for the day and saw me tilting the bike up, so I explained what happens and he says the Victory bikes were really bad for it too. I could unpinch or re-route the hose myself, but they get paid to do it and need to learn the issues for the future.

Welcome!

I had/have similar quickshifter issues, especially the 2nd to 3rd transition, but the dealer sorted it on the first maintenance (minus the occasional 2nd to 3rd issue). I'm just over 900 miles and either I'm getting better at avoiding the problem or the gearbox is getting better with age as the violent kickbacks to 2nd are decreasing. Not sure, but I'm still hoping it's an issue that will go away as the bike ages.

I have not heard about the fuel filler drain issue and appreciate the warning!

I guess the bottom line is that the skill of your dealer is really important when dealing with these bikes. That being said, mine is never getting sold. The issues we are having are pretty minor, IMHO, and the fun factor is way too high.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Rick ( BC ) - where you located in BC? If its anywhere east of Kelowna its where I ride much of the summer - I live in Spokane but head up to ride the Kootenais' - Creston, Nelson, Kaslo, New Denver etc over to the Monashees an occasional jaunt over to Revelstoke - Love it up there - as my buddy from Seattle says " its like having your own race track :"

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Victoria here. The roads in the interior are fantastic, I've not hit them on a bike yet. We have some excellently windy roads on the island here, the bumps keep the generic idiots away. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome!

I had/have similar quickshifter issues, especially the 2nd to 3rd transition, but the dealer sorted it on the first maintenance (minus the occasional 2nd to 3rd issue). I'm just over 900 miles and either I'm getting better at avoiding the problem or the gearbox is getting better with age as the violent kickbacks to 2nd are decreasing. Not sure, but I'm still hoping it's an issue that will go away as the bike ages.

I guess the bottom line is that the skill of your dealer is really important when dealing with these bikes. That being said, mine is never getting sold. The issues we are having are pretty minor, IMHO, and the fun factor is way too high.
I bought the bike just before we moved into our new place, so drywall repairs and paint have kept me from hitting the curves as much as I'd like. I haven't been out for a good rip since the first service, but it's going in this friday for the fuel filler drain and the bent shift rod. Saturday will be play day, hopefully the 2-3 shift calms down but I won't know until then. :)

I'm a journeyman automotive mechanic and the guy working on my bike is a top-notch apprentice like I was. He was born into dirt bikes like I was born into race cars. I bring up issues I've heard of here and they get checked into. It'll be fine, and they'll be prepared for the next one. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome!

The kinked hose for the filler cap is a common problem, lots of bikes have had this problem in Europe

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
It was highlighted in this thread quite some time ago, it's a bit of a monster so easily missed, but worth a read

https://www.790dukeforum.com/forum/712-ktm-790-duke-issues-problems/108-issues.html

actual post

https://www.790dukeforum.com/forum/712-ktm-790-duke-issues-problems/108-issues.html#post618

I've had the drain issue a few times, a quick blow with an air hose usually clears it out, but if it's been raining I'll always open the cap with the bike vertically upright just in case to avoid this happening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts