KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Got around to listing all the warranty work since KTMA came on board. It's looking pretty discouraging.
So, in the last 11 months, here is the work done so far under warranty:

Keys recoded
Fuses replaced
ECU values reset x2
Injectors
Plugs
Battery
New ECU
Throttle bodies
Clutch switch
Coolant hose clips
Worm clamps for main coolant hoses
Head gasket
And KTMA picking up the tab for the recent service (except the oil, which we paid for because the dealership doesn't use Motul), for my patience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Viv!
Oh wow, your issues were resolved? How?
Sorry to hear about the knockover. I'd be livid!
Fingers croseed you're allowed out soon to ride. Are you in NSW or Vic?
Hi again Essie,
Resolved via the KTM dealership where I made the purchase.
I actually suspect it wasn’t a ECU reset, more likely a software update during her first service.
My cut outs were not as frequent as yours, & I presumed for a while that it was just my novice lack of riding skills that were causing them to occur.
I mentioned it on the 3 visits to the dealership ( coolant leak x 2 & rear brake pad worn out) prior to the first service but it wasn’t resolved until the software update & apparent reset.
Since then it has been sweet, except when the random citizen knocked her over (still waiting on a replacement brake pedal).
NSW, so the Putty Rd, 10 Mile & Macquarie Pass are all calling out for some attention.
Fingers crossed it won’t be long now! 👍

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
@Viv Glad the problem was addressed and fixed🙂 I hope you have a new brake pedal by now and can get out again.

Quick update on Ugga:
Been in touch with KTMA, who have a couple more ideas. Just waiting for parts to hit Oz.
The plan now is to replace the fuel pump, as well as the lean angle sensor.
The thermostat housing, seals and LH rad hose will be replaced.
With all the hassles and shotfockery, KTMA have been helpful. While they're working with me, I'll work with them.

The last few weeks of riding have been interesting. The engine has been doing a new weird thing. Instead of cutting right out approaching an intersection, a couple of times it has threatened to, giving a bit of a sigh, then a polite little cough before roaring back to life.
However in the last couple of weeks he has also cut right out, including today. Warm conditions, warm engine etc, so as was the case when the bike was new, cold starts aren't the commonality.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Viv Glad the problem was addressed and fixed🙂 I hope you have a new brake pedal by now and can get out again.

Quick update on Ugga:
Been in touch with KTMA, who have a couple more ideas. Just waiting for parts to hit Oz.
The plan now is to replace the fuel pump, as well as the lean angle sensor.
The thermostat housing, seals and LH rad hose will be replaced.
With all the hassles and shotfockery, KTMA have been helpful. While they're working with me, I'll work with them.

The last few weeks of riding have been interesting. The engine has been doing a new weird thing. Instead of cutting right out approaching an intersection, a couple of times it has threatened to, giving a bit of a sigh, then a polite little cough before roaring back to life.
However in the last couple of weeks he has also cut right out, including today. Warm conditions, warm engine etc, so as was the case when the bike was new, cold starts aren't the commonality.
@Essie
Still waiting on the pedal...it is rideable as it is, having been bent back into usable shape, but not perfect & feasibly compromised in terms of strength integrity.
Took advantage of the weather yesterday & had a ride up to the Colo River.
First time she has cut out in 2nd gear!
Definitely not a cold engine issue, had been on the road for around 3hrs.
I was approaching a hairpin going down a decline & dropped from 3rd to 2nd, using the rear brake & relying on engine braking as well, she surged very briefly twice then cut out completely. I was unnerved & very lucky i was going downhill, as I negotiated the corner on brakes alone then hit the start switch on the exit & she behaved as though nothing had happened.
My first thought was that it was of my own fault.
However I am stumped, as it was medium revs in 2nd & nowhere near stalling.
She is due for a service soon & I hope it is all smooth sailing afterwards.
Likewise for yourself Essie, KTMs are a beautiful machine, when they are working!
My riding mates all asked me during our pre ride coffee……
’So…..how’s the bike……is it working now?’ ;);)
I hope your parts are available soon Essie!

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's good. Mine stopped doing that after the new ECU. Odo was always ok thankfully
Trip Meter is ok.
But…..last night on the way home from work I noticed that the headlight is now cutting out & re lighting very rapidly, I actually thought at first that I had gone through a red light camera.
Oh the joys of dying by a thousand cuts! 🤣🤣

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
😮 Yikes! In the dark? I know mine changes strength when I ride into the garage during daylight hours, but I'd be worried if it did it on the road without changing light conditions.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
13 to 30c at the moment, Barbagris. Give or take a couple either side of either side over a week.
Oh and two cutouts in one trip to work yesterday.
Strangely, this time the gear lever felt clunky both times.
Chain was adjusted on Monday, but all feels fine except for those cutout instances.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Was just interested as LED's can suddenly "gate down" if they get really hot. I have a cheap tail/brake light (in the R&D box) that does it. 30°C is not that hot.
😮 Yikes! In the dark? I know mine changes strength when I ride into the garage during daylight hours, but I'd be worried if it did it on the road without changing light conditions.
Esiie that's probably just the light switching from DRL (Daylight Riding Light) to dipped beam. It's sensor driven and (I think) uses the light sensor on the dash panel. You can try turning DRL off in which case it's always on Dip (should be) - You can easily see if you drop your gloves over the dash covering up the sensor. I had a couple of WTF moments until I realised it was me.

I like DRL mode BUT find the KTM switches over way too often if there are many overpasses about - can see it in the paintwork of cars in front. I'm toying with turning DRL mode off. Tell you waht - when it comes home after it's service - I'll test!.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What is your ambient temperature at the moment? - Out of mere interest!
Fair call.
No idea TBH,
I surmise around 16C - 24C.
I will observe over the next few trips & let you know.
It is only noticeable on my very short trips home after work late in the evening, around midnight usually. Only the headlights, not the dash screen afaik.
No major issue…..but far from perfect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah I hope it's not a drama for Viv.
Sorry I missed her quote in your question. Oops ☺
No problemo yet……for me anyways!
I am more concerned about the folk in front of me that may be susceptible to fits or strobe light effect…..that is how it appears to me from my perspective.
The dash works perfectly…..it just seems that the main headlight is not working on a constant pattern & firing on & off extremely rapidly from time to time.
Just another bone to pick.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Fair call.
No idea TBH,
I surmise around 16C - 24C.
I will observe over the next few trips & let you know.
It is only noticeable on my very short trips home after work late in the evening, around midnight usually. Only the headlights, not the dash screen afaik.
No major issue…..but far from perfect.
At 16-24°C - I doubt it's heat. Check the wiring plug.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts