KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Start-ups have been good since that hiccup, and no dramas at all with cutouts until 3 weeks ago. One a week now.
Bike is still running beautifully though.

Then today we found this during a blat up the mountain. Of course LOL
We're booked for a service next week with 11K km on the clock.
They will look into it then.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Start-ups have been good since that hiccup, and no dramas at all with cutouts until 3 weeks ago. One a week now.
Bike is still running beautifully though.

Then today we found this during a blat up the mountain. Of course LOL
We're booked for a service next week with 11K km on the clock.
They will look into it then.
Essie,
I've had a similar issue, only not quite as much seepage. Because I'm 160 km away from my service centre, I cleaned off the oil and applied a black flexible compound with a fine brush to the joint. No further leaks and what was a temporary measure has been on for over 6 months. I understand that a slightly modified rubber seal is available and I'll get it fitted when a service requires the cover to be removed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Yeah, I'm not too concerned only because he's booked in anyway.
I also reminded them of the dodgy coolant clip and asked (again) for worm clamps.
Apparently KTM is in hard lockdown, so my email a couple of weeks ago, feeding back how the throttle bodies replacement has worked, remains unanswered.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
570 Posts
You have been incredible patient. I suspect you might be nearing the time to go legal. KTM need to urgently throw some weight behind this and either try another ECU or offer you another bike. You could not have been more obliging and they should be grateful in having such a tolerant customer as yourself. But you are legally entitled to a bike that works and one that does not put your life at risk. If they are unable to solve this issue then there is no other option - they have to replace the complete bike. A lawyer would love this case!
Here in the states we have what is called a "Lemon Law." California where I live probably has the strongest one. It was crafted for just such issues.

In a nut shell:
• Your motorcycle has been in the shop for repairs under the warranty
• Your motorcycle has defects that significantly affect its value, its safety, or your ability to use it
• The manufacturer hasn’t been able to fix it after a “reasonable” number of tries.

Essie you certainly are a patient man. Sure hope you are able to get satisfaction.

Cheers.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Here in the states we have what is called a "Lemon Law." California where I live probably has the strongest one. It was crafted for just such issues.

In a nut shell:
• Your motorcycle has been in the shop for repairs under the warranty
• Your motorcycle has defects that significantly affect its value, its safety, or your ability to use it
• The manufacturer hasn’t been able to fix it after a “reasonable” number of tries.

Essie you certainly are a patient man. Sure hope you are able to get satisfaction.

Cheers.
Sometimes I sure do wish I was a man....

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
282 Posts
Ugh, that's not cool at all. I had a small leak from the oil pan. When I brought it in for service they brushed on a gasket sealant and it's been dry ever since, fingers crossed. Good luck with yours, Essie.
Bottoms Up!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 · (Edited)
After a week and a half without my bike, waiting for the clutch switch to be delivered, I got it back with high hopes.
My experience with the dealer's service department has never been smooth, and as always, expectations were fulfilled.

Doing the service should have been simple. They had the oil, etc, so I could have had it back while waiting for the clutch switch. Postal is very dicey ATM with lockdowns and backlogs, so I would have been very happy to have got the bike back and returned it for the fitting when it came in. But noooo. Even trying to suggest this was fruitless, with unreturned calls etc late in the first week. Par for the course, unfortunately.
To be fair, they also had to replace the head gasket which takes some time, even when booked in.

When we did get him home last week, we found the oil grossly overfilled. Trying to undo a screen bung also proved difficult, having been severely overtightened. Do they not know what o-rings are for? We purchased Motul from them to be used, and we knew straight away that it was overfilled by the amount of oil left in our bottle. Sure enough, way too much was put in.
The coolant level was also too low and needed topping up.
Remember that KTM Australia was springing for this 11K km service. All we paid for was the oil.

Moving on, I happily rode the bike, went up the mountain, and commuted. All was good.
Until this week.
Returning home on Monday arvo, there was the familiar smell of burning coolant, but none to be seen. I didn't ride yesterday, but this morning the smell was back on startup, with vapour, although we still couldn't see a leak. .
This would intermittently happen before, too.
Ok, no need to panic. Just see how it goes.
Also this morning, the bike CUT OUT.

We've all run out of ideas. Now I'm getting testy. My patience is running out fast. Nobody involved is going to want to know about this development, so I'm also getting very nervous about how I'm to deal with possible denials and arguments.
Above all, I'm getting sad 🙁

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
We've all run out of ideas. Now I'm getting testy. My patience is running out fast. Nobody involved is going to want to know about this development, so I'm also getting very nervous about how I'm to deal with possible denials and arguments.
How are your consumer protection laws?. Here they'd have to take the bike back and fix it AGAIN - and I'm sure a loaner would have to be offered.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
My next step is of course to be looking into consumer laws and exactly what I can expect should relationships go to custard.
The warranty period is halfway gone, with all ideas for repair exhausted. I can't say nothing has been done up to now, rather, quite the opposite in terms of action, not counting the first main hurdle being the dealership.
My thoughts are going to selling time and losses possible in the next bike exchange/upgrade.

Insurance and rego are renewed for another year, too much of which has been squandered by time in said dealership's workshop. So the whole thing has been more costly than lost riding time and convenience .
Speaking of which, the thousands you sign yourself up for should something go wrong on a loaner is not something I'd commit to if there's a 390 in the shed as well.

Oh and I forgot to mention that the dash cover was presented to us in a bag in a few pieces. That's the second time it's been broken there. This time, they "had" to do that in order to remove it. They couldn't work out how without breaking it. Hell, all they had to do was call us. My partner, who did the first repair could have got it off in seconds with no damage.
They have said they'd pay to replace it, but my creative man again saved them some money by fixing it himself.
They can't say we're not trying our hardest to work with them here.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Speaking of which, the thousands you sign yourself up for should something go wrong on a loaner is not something I'd commit to if there's a 390 in the shed as well.
If it's a loaner due to a lemon bike - the loaner would be free and clear and covered on KTM's insurance - Here anyway.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I'm not sure it works that way here. If I got a loaner though, I could use my old bike which, as it turns out, is on their used bike line-up. 🤣

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Essie
I sincerely hope it is all good news for you from here on in, whatever the direction that that is.
I purchased my new duke 790 about a year back.
Had numerous cut outs, coolant leak, over revs on start up, ECU reset as well, yadda yadda.
Being my first bike I was far from impressed to begin with, but after multiple visits to the dealer all things were eventually resolved.
Then some prick knocks her over on the one night I had to leave her out in the street whilst moving house!
Since then….lockdown, so not much riding at all.
Having said all of that I am champing at the bit to throw a leg over as soon as the restrictions are lifted, because she is an absolute joy to ride, damage & all.
You might wish to enquire about your consumer rights & ponder the lemon clause Essie.
You are certainly within the realm of that blowing over into different territory now, as you have been a very patient & compliant lady.
Good luck on all fronts Essie! 🍺🍺

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
@Essie
I sincerely hope it is all good news for you from here on in, whatever the direction that that is.
I purchased my new duke 790 about a year back.
Had numerous cut outs, coolant leak, over revs on start up, ECU reset as well, yadda yadda.
Being my first bike I was far from impressed to begin with, but after multiple visits to the dealer all things were eventually resolved.
Then some prick knocks her over on the one night I had to leave her out in the street whilst moving house!
Since then….lockdown, so not much riding at all.
Having said all of that I am champing at the bit to throw a leg over as soon as the restrictions are lifted, because she is an absolute joy to ride, damage & all.
You might wish to enquire about your consumer rights & ponder the lemon clause Essie.
You are certainly within the realm of that blowing over into different territory now, as you have been a very patient & compliant lady.
Good luck on all fronts Essie! 🍺🍺
Hi Viv!
Oh wow, your issues were resolved? How?
Sorry to hear about the knockover. I'd be livid!
Fingers croseed you're allowed out soon to ride. Are you in NSW or Vic?

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
570 Posts
Aaaaaand, just for good measure, we found the source of the leak. Thermostat housing.
We've checked. None in stock in Australia, apparently.
Essie your patience is legendary.

I'm afraid I would have gone postal by now if it was my bike.

I promise to never complain that I had to change my counter shaft seal twice. Small potatoes compared to your troubles.

Sure hope someday soon you can get relief from the madness.

Cheers and hang in there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Oh, I fully intend to go postal. The trick will be deciding when, and how to go about it with a cool head, in a process of securing a satisfactory outcome.
Communicating with KTMA has already invoked the phrase, 'fit for purpose'.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts