KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Got him back on Friday. No issues over the weekend. Yay.

This morning however, he did it all again.
Aaaaaaarrrgh!
I still get the occasional cold start rev. Because it's intermittent, it doesn't drive me crazy and as my dealer is 160 km away, I haven't pushed it with them. It didn't do it at all for the first 12 months of ownership. I'll just quietly note each occurrence for a pattern but so far, I haven't picked up on any common factors. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Does yours cut out when it does rev?
Mine has only just started doing that on the Revvy start. What's interesting is that whenever he does cut out on startup, the tripmeter goes out then, too as if it's the usual downshift cut out.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Does yours cut out when it does rev?
Mine has only just started doing that on the Revvy start. What's interesting is that whenever he does cut out on startup, the tripmeter goes out then, too as if it's the usual downshift cut out.
It would do if I left it that long but I normally hit the kill switch before the revs build significantly and the restart is always fine. No problems with the trip meter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Ugga's back in the shop for the night.

I got a call from KTM Australia today regarding the issues. Much appreciated.

New ECU going in. At last.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
New ECU fitted, plus the keys re-coded.
Uneventful ride home, as usual 😛
Will put him to the test on the coming mornings.
I will say though that he sounds much thumpy-er 😁
The KTM Australia rep has been fantastic, as has the dealer, albeit belatedly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
Setting off on my roadie in the morning.
Bike is as good as he can be, considering.
I'll be away for 3- 4 weeks, so throttle bodies should be in by then. As soon as I can, he'll be booked in to have a them fitted.
The KTM rep did say that changing just the ECU would be an experiment without the TBs at the same time.

The bike is still hard revving and cutting out on cold start, but hasn't cut out on the move yet. The tripmeter hasn't wiped itself yet either.
He's running beautifully on the road, so it should be a lovely trip.

Oh and the pickup before the last one, I went to hop on to take the bike home, and found the dash cover (bought at great expense) on the ground beside the bike, ripped from its mounting.
We managed to fix it, and the dealer offered to replace it if it couln't be fixed. Unfortunately nobody had owned up to it.
The next pickup, however, a person known to me who has previously behaved aggressively and threateningly towards (in my workplace) me rocked up to pick up a bike. The penny dropped. I couldn't prove it, but I suspect if he was picking up a bike, he would have been in sooner to drop it off... while mine was parked in the dealer's yard. He knows my bike, so I reckon the opportunity to do something shitty was too hard to resist.
Oh well. He resigned last week, ahead of being likely dismissed for more violent behaviour towards another co-worker. He had form before his incident with me last year, including interfering with other people's vehicles, so it wasn't looking good for him. I was also the first to report his behaviour, so everything since is my fault, apparently.
But it does make me a lttle nervous, that another customer at that dealer could do that stuff to other people's babies. Enough to either go elsewhere, or alert the dealer to my suspicions. The latter would probably not be in my interests, however. How does a business choose between customers without proof? I'd come off looking like a paranoid loony. Either way it doesn't sit well at all.

See yas on the road 😁😁

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
No need.
Collective strategy - not really the right term - was 'enough rope', most effective for certain mentalitiies.

Yes, she will indeed be right. A good night's sleep and the packing sorted last night, we're away!

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
114 Posts
You have been incredible patient. I suspect you might be nearing the time to go legal. KTM need to urgently throw some weight behind this and either try another ECU or offer you another bike. You could not have been more obliging and they should be grateful in having such a tolerant customer as yourself. But you are legally entitled to a bike that works and one that does not put your life at risk. If they are unable to solve this issue then there is no other option - they have to replace the complete bike. A lawyer would love this case!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
You have been incredible patient. I suspect you might be nearing the time to go legal. KTM need to urgently throw some weight behind this and either try another ECU or offer you another bike. You could not have been more obliging and they should be grateful in having such a tolerant customer as yourself. But you are legally entitled to a bike that works and one that does not put your life at risk. If they are unable to solve this issue then there is no other option - they have to replace the complete bike. A lawyer would love this case!
That's the interesting bit.. the KTMA rep said he has been trying to get Austria to acknowledge that this problem, while not prevalent, is common enough to look a bit harder at at their end.
Really, since the Aussie rep has come on board, the help level has increased significantly, despite his own frustrations with Austria on this issue. We're definitely not out of the woods yet, so while throttle bodies are in the offing, I'll be accepting with alacrity!
Better still, all that has meant the dealer has had to pull finger and start looking a bit lively.

BTW, the last 3 startups on the interstate trip were perfectly normal, with no cutouts on the move at all.
I took photos of the dash each evening in case the tripmeter zeroed again on dodgy startups. Losing that info would have totally pissed me off.

I'm having a couple of days rest from riding so it will be interesting to see how he starts up next time.

I reached Melbourne after 2117 kms riding over 5 days. Not too bad for an old duck.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts