KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hey Essie I just got off the phone with my ace mechanic buddy. He is pretty sure the dealership did not do the initialization process properly.

His remedy for the problem is as follows.

Delete and reset all the adaptation values

Reinstall factory map.

Now this is where most dealerships screw up the process. Start up the bike and do NOT touch the throttle until the engine temp sensor shows a minimum of 80 degrees C.

If the engine should die during this process just hit the start button to relight the motor, but whatever you do do NOT touch the throttle. Don't worry if you have to hit the start button multiple times during the process.

He said this should fix most problems guys are having.

He also said that when riding the bike and coming to a stop do NOT just pull in the clutch while rolling along say at 20 mph and hold it in until you are stopped. Doing this will cause the ecu to richen up the fuel map which can lead to other issues.

Like a said earlier, this ECU system is complex beyond our realization and if not setup and used correctly can lead to problems.

Good luck and let me know what happens.

I also sent this to you on a PM.
Thank you very much, HJ. Just thought acknowledgement was appropriate here as well as via PM.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
266 Posts
Hey thanks Fred. That stuff is fascinating but way above my pay grade.

I appreciate you posting it as it helps me wrap my peanut brain around what is going on. Kind of a picture is worth a thousand words moment.

Cheers mate.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey thanks Fred. That stuff is fascinating but way above my pay grade.

I appreciate you posting it as it helps me wrap my peanut brain around what is going on. Kind of a picture is worth a thousand words moment.

Cheers mate.
No problem and figured it might answer some questions about 'resetting' things in the bike.

I've been super annoyed with Texa and their lack of 790 support!!! Not a cheap tool either. Hopefully next week as there is meant to be an update coming

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Well it's all Greek to me, but much appreciated by me for future reference, so that's a thankyou from me, too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their input. Got the bike back from the dealer today and heading out for a ride tomorrow.
According to the dealer they needed to reset the adaption values which apparently relates to the sensor ranges. This is similar, if not the same remedy as outlined earlier in this thread by @Hawkerjet (thanks mate!).
Anyway after discussing with the dealer (and prompting them with the aforementioned post) they did the following under warranty:
Connect KTM diagnostic and read faults - no realted faults stored.
Reset adaption values and teach in base sensor readings with no throttle warm-up.

I also had them do an oil a filter changes as I've done 6.5k since I picked the bike up in August and noticed that they used 10W 60 oil which apparently KTM have advised them to use in our warmer climate. I have noticed that the my engine temp is pretyy consistent at 4 bars when running and the engine certainly throws of a bunch of radiant heat so this makes sense.

I'll be sure and repost if the issue isn't resolved.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Good news, F12.

My own update is happily uneventful. Apart from a bit of revving on startup on changing back to street mode from sport, all is good. He's still being a very good boy.

One niggle definitely not confined to KTM, is the tendency for the chain to unadjust itself on retightening. A good whack to the tyre before doing that fixed it. I was wondering why the left peg was vibrating at higher revs after downshifting... my partner had a squizz and sure enough... My SV did the same thing sometimes, but without the warning sign.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke, 2006 SV 650, 2008 Hot rodded KLR, 1991 Honda Hawk NT 650
50 Posts
Hiyas!
Week 4 of 790 ownership.
Absolutely loving the ride, despite the intermittent engine shutoffs while shifting gears. Took him back to the shop again today to get them to look harder after another instance with no luck pinpointing why at his 1000km service last week.
Fingers crossed it's an easy fix.
Here he is with his little bro.
View attachment 5575
I bet your problem is that fugly rack. ☻

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hiyas!
Week 4 of 790 ownership.
Absolutely loving the ride, despite the intermittent engine shutoffs while shifting gears. Took him back to the shop again today to get them to look harder after another instance with no luck pinpointing why at his 1000km service last week.
Fingers crossed it's an easy fix.
Here he is with his little bro.
View attachment 5575
G'day Essie from the left coast of Canada, Sounds like you got either a sensor issue or a connection or both? But as stated here, i'd get another opinion if your current shop is lost.
Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Thanks Gare.
Periodically the bike will still rev to 4k on a cold start.
Video sent to dealer of origin a week ago with no response.
A couple of questionable things with the 390's first service as well, meaning yes, no more dealings with this mob unless necessary or emergency-related.
The nearest one from them is an hour away but thesame business unfortunately. We're feeling a bit stuck to be honest.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts