KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Andreani Misano Evo kit in my 890R and it recently developed a very loud sucking noise on the rebound stroke. I know this is usually normal, the sound of the oil pushing through the valves, but the noise is way louder than normal, and even at max rebound the stroke seems very (too) fast. I shot a video of the fork with rebound set to full hard.

For anyone else with this kit, is your rebound also this fast at full hard? I’m worried something’s gone wrong inside where it’s not damping the stroke the way it should. The front feels pretty bumpy during normal riding but I don’t know if it’s just my mind playing tricks now.

This started after someone borrowed my bike and landed a couple good wheelies and the travel indicator showed the fork had compressed beyond max travel, but there are no leaks or external symptoms, so I don’t know if I’m just imagining things.

fork travel at full hard: Duke 890R Andreani fork kit noise

Fork travel at full soft: Duke 890R Andreani fork kit noise - full soft

Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive lighting Bicycle tire

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the Andreani Misano Evo kit in my 890R and it recently developed a very loud sucking noise on the rebound stroke. I know this is usually normal, the sound of the oil pushing through the valves, but the noise is way louder than normal, and even at max rebound the stroke seems very (too) fast. I shot a video of the fork with rebound set to full hard.

For anyone else with this kit, is your rebound also this fast at full hard? I’m worried something’s gone wrong inside where it’s not damping the stroke the way it should. The front feels pretty bumpy during normal riding but I don’t know if it’s just my mind playing tricks now.

This started after someone borrowed my bike and landed a couple good wheelies and the travel indicator showed the fork had compressed beyond max travel, but there are no leaks or external symptoms, so I don’t know if I’m just imagining things.

fork travel at full hard: Duke 890R Andreani fork kit noise

Fork travel at full soft: Duke 890R Andreani fork kit noise - full soft

View attachment 9771
Never lend your mower, motorcycle, tools (or wife). They all come back the same way.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Used and abused, I test rode the 890r that I bought a good 6 months before buying it from my friend.

Yes I rode the bike harder that very first time of riding it vs me owning it myself

Tbh, that's is a problem but I would take it completely apart to figure out what is making the noise

·
Super Moderator
1,906 Posts
I have the Andreani on the 790. Road and track use. No wheelies. Have none of the issues you described.

·
Super Moderator
1,906 Posts
There is noise, but not something I didn't hear before with other setups and on other bikes. The damping is significantly more controlled than in your video (both soft and hard).

If this happened after your bike was returned, I would definitely take everything apart and look for damage.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This time I wasn't crazy. The shim that's supposed to regulate blow-by flow when the fork is on the compression stroke (so the rebound valving doesn't interfere with the compression damping) by flexing open when the oil flows upward and closing when the fork rebounds, had bent permanently open. This happened because my friend landed the wheelie so hard that it pushed too much oil through too quickly that the shim deformed. They had to take the whole cartridge apart to replace that shim, but now it feels perfect again. That was an expensive lesson!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are very thin metal, meant to be stacked in different sizes and paired with the valves to fine tune the damping characteristics. They flex when oil flows through the valve orifices, but I’ve never seen one get permanently bent like this. We had it on the table and there was a noticeable wobble when lying on a flat surface, when obviously they should be totally flat to seal against the valve. The oil must’ve been forced through with quite some force to cause that.

It is pretty fascinating that such a small item can render the entire system useless.

·
Super Moderator
1,906 Posts
It is pretty fascinating that such a small item can render the entire system useless.
Suspension valving is a very interesting and precise mechanism. I guess no lending the bike to wheelie loving mates again. Right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts