KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a source for alternative springs? I've checked the WP site, Racetech, and some others but haven't been able to find any. Maybe the bike is too new. Chris Fillmore got different springs for the Pikes Peak bike but that was a factory effort. I would like to try that option first before a new shock and fork inserts.

Additionally,does anyone have the shock spring's dimensions? If I had them, I could check the Eibach site.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Has anyone found a source for alternative springs? I've checked the WP site, Racetech, and some others but haven't been able to find any. Maybe the bike is too new. Chris Fillmore got different springs for the Pikes Peak bike but that was a factory effort. I would like to try that option first before a new shock and fork inserts.

Additionally,does anyone have the shock spring's dimensions? If I had them, I could check the Eibach site.

Hey friend, here you have it:

- Front Fork:
APEX PRO 6500

- Rear Shock:
APEX PRO 6746

I did not installed it yet, but I hope to do it in the future, let me know what is your feedback if you install it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
^^^ Im wondering how the compression and especially the rebound will be effected by heavier weight springs. Luckerly the rebound on the WP shock isn't too fast, so there may be some scope for a slightly heavier spring. Im picking WP won't make a higher rate spring for the 790 for the fact it has no Comp and Reb control.....I see Ohlins make two shocks for the 790, one budget and one expensive, both can come with a custom spring for your weight.

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, what I can get from the KTM parts diagram is that the shock spring is 185 mm long and has a progressive rate of 130-160 n/mm. I haven't been able to find the inner or outer diameter. That seems to be a very stout spring - 160n/mm =913 lb/in.

I currently have the preload maxed out and would like the replacement spring to allow minimum preload.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
If decide to replace shock and fork internals Ohlins setup is big improvement over stock. I went with O shock with remote reservoir as it was not much more. The O cartridges are easy swap. For me it was more about having rebound and compression options as well as being able to balance bike and set proper sag. Not much option with stock setup. Good luck. PS if in USA PM me and I'll give you dealer name that gave me discount on O hardware.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Just springs or complete units (i.e. forks or cartridges, rear shock)?

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the lead. They look pretty good but I'm in the US and don't speak Spanish. I'll keep looking here.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thanks for the lead. They look pretty good but I'm in the US and don't speak Spanish. I'll keep looking here.
If it were me - I would swap out the hydraulics as well - not just the spring. The 790D (for my weight, shape etc) is pretty much spot on, both front and rear. But if I ever upgrade - I'd want damping adjustment.

I've seen the WP upgrade parts at about 800€ each end somewhere on the net.

I like Maxton's stuff, but I know they don't send to the US.

In the US - https://traxxion.com/ ?

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If decide to replace shock and fork internals Ohlins setup is big improvement over stock. I went with O shock with remote reservoir as it was not much more. The O cartridges are easy swap. For me it was more about having rebound and compression options as well as being able to balance bike and set proper sag. Not much option with stock setup. Good luck. PS if in USA PM me and I'll give you dealer name that gave me discount on O hardware.
PM sent.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it were me - I would swap out the hydraulics as well - not just the spring. The 790D (for my weight, shape etc) is pretty much spot on, both front and rear. But if I ever upgrade - I'd want damping adjustment.

In the US - https://traxxion.com/ ?
I may end up there but I'd like to try just a heavier spring for the shock first. Thanks for mentioning Traxxion.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I had Traxxion stuff on the CBR1000RR. They will tailor to whatever you need. Great guys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why do you want to change the springs? Have you checked the static and rider sag front and back? Are you riding the bike to the limit? Just interested. Best to take the springs out, measure them and use one of the many free internet calculators to see what you need based on riding style body weight etc.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts