KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I was looking at the Meta DefComT, it's a plug and play option for the DUKE 790 and probably many bikes as they have this universal plug under the seat or at least I am lead to believe that.

KTM do offer this alarm specifically for the DUKE790 - 60112035000 £250-£300

You can buy the alarm for £110 and the reed switch for £20, so what's the catch?
There's even a fitting kit that comes with the reed switch for £45 - 64112938044

£130 vs £250+

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have bought stuff from KTM that they did not even bother to put into their own box (connectivity control unit). Could not buy from original supplier though 'cause it was that outdated (bluetooth 2.0).
Fluid Rectangle Font Box Packaging and labeling

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
In the EU there are obligations regarding stock/replacement/repairs etc on OEM parts.

Some mfrs seem to take this VERY seriously and others can be a bit more "Hap hazard". Oddly some of KTM's parts are remarkably cheap. Others do seem to be expensive - and my guess it's to cover long term stocking costs or pay for extended production runs of "obsolete" stuff from suppliers. Saw an interesting Video yesterday on why "Fluke" multimeters cost so much more - similar reasoning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In July, I bought a Meta DefCom3.1b + B9.5 Tag (Bluetooth Fob/Tag) + reed switch + led kit for £170.00 . The KTM fitting kit was £45??
Abacus Alarms gave comprehensive instructions for wiring the LED & everything works perfectly.
Rob

·
Registered
53 Posts
I fitted the meta alarm to my 790 and most recently last week to my 890 Duke, I went for the cheaper option and bought the alarm from the ebay seller for £110 and the fitting kit from KTM, it plugs straight in to the plug under the KTM seat and works perfectly along with the reed switch that comes in the KTM kit.

The only issue I have is that it doesn't light up the LED on the dash, the 790 Duke didn't either, which does make altering any settings in the alarm a bit difficult and doesn't give any indication that the alarm is set, I presume if you buy the alarm from KTM it doesn't flash the dash LED either?

The alarm does come with a separate LED, I assume the Abacus instructions show how to wire this into the KTM plug?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The alarm does come with a separate LED, I assume the Abacus instructions show how to wire this into the KTM plug?
[/QUOTE

Cable Electronic device Wire Electric blue Electrical wiring

This is the Meta loom NOT the KTM loom which has different colours. Locate the equivalent of the White wire and cut it( the LED won't work if you simply tap it). Connect the Black/Red wire to this and cover with heat shrink. The solid black LED wire needs an unswitched earth- I connected it to the battery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks, that look's good, do you just connect the LED wires into the alarm plug?

When I fitted the alarm to my 790 I played around with connecting up the LED, however when it flashed you could hardly see it, how bright is your one?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks, when I last played around with it I just pushed the LED wires into the back of the plug and left the existing wires in place, probably the reason the LED was so dim:)

When I have time I'll have another go following your instructions.

Matt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,

Connected it up this afternoon, the LED works perfectly, just need to find a location to mount it, I've got a new tail tidy coming this week, so can't really drill any holes until that's fitted.

One thing I did realise now I have an LED is that the alarm is passively arming, however what I don't quite understand is that even when it is passively armed and the LED is flashing you can still start the bike and with the engine running the LED still flashes.

Have you noticed this with yours?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi mps711, nothing like that with mine. Sounds like a problem with the immobiliser circuit. The wires in the Meta loom for this circuit are DARK BLUE and GREY - don't know what the KTM colours are, but they are immediately adjacent to the white wire, to the left as you're looking at the back of the plug. The light blue wires to the right are the Direction Indicators....
Good luck
Rob

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a feeling that as the bike has its own immobiliser, the one in the meta alarm isn't actually connected up, there are a few missing wires in the KTM plug.
It would explain why the bike can still be started without disarming the alarm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got my def com t.

Hopefully I can get the LED to work. I would like to know that the alarm is armed correctly, even if its the external LED. 🤞 Do the indicators not flash when you arm/disarm? Most alarms I have had, disarm 2 flashes of indicator 1 when armed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts