KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

Akrapovic exhaust baffle

41K views 56 replies 17 participants last post by  shmod 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Ordered an Akrapovic exhaust for the 790, but have been reading the newer e4 compliant exhausts don’t give you the option to remove the baffle anymore?

Can anyone confirm if this is true for the 790?

Peace,
Owl

#2 ·
Hello Owl,

yes, you are right, due to the E4 norm it is not possible to remove the DB-killer.
The shop where I orderd my 790 came with an sollution. The DB-killer is mouned with small hexagon bolt. They will drill a small hole through the carbon end cap to access it. Remove the bolt and you can get the the DB-killer out. Place a little cap in the hole and it looks likes OEM.

Kind regards,

Herman

#6 ·
Hi
after seeing youtube video I removed the baffle in less than 30 minutes including removal and refitting exhaust
I spray wd40 to loosen the baffle and removed without any hammer just small pliers and gently wiggling the baffle up and down.

the allen headed bolt inside is welded on so it does take a firm twist and a good quality allen key to remove.

you have to drill a 10mm hole otherwise you cannot get the allen bolt out

#7 ·
Not sure if this is allowed, can't find a for sale section or anything in the rules, but would anyone UK based be interested in buying second hand Akra exhaust?
Not drilled yet btw.

#9 ·
I'm still undecided to be honest, I've purchased some new HSS bits and the step bit to drill out the baffle as it's definitely not loud enough. Now thinking maybe should just sell the Akra as is and buy something already baffle free. It's also quite large, and I do really like the look of the AR end pipe. I guess it depends if I can find a buyer, may end up just keeping it for the moment.

You posted above, audio file before and after but there is no file or link? Do you still have the audio?

#10 ·
Owl
the recording did not really work
It is easy to remove and replace the baffle on this akra and i used a rubber bung to fill the hole

I drilled a small 5mm hole to ensure correct alignment, then used a dremel with abrasive bit to enlarge the hole in the carbon very carefully to just the correct size to get the head of the baffle bolt out of the Akra
got some pictures if interested

#12 ·
The measurements given were about 4 mm out for me, so my hole was slightly wrong when i followed the previous mentioned instructions as i then found i had to enlarge the hole with a dremel bit to gain full access to the bolt, this left me with an oval hole. Which i ended up enlarging to bring it back to round , so in the end i have a slightly bigger hole than i needed and purchased a bigger bung to fill it up as required.
so this is why i would recommend drilling smaller hole, carefully checking the alignment of this hole to the bolt center then use dremel with abrasion bit to enlarge hole to exact size and correct position.
This way you will end up with the smallest hole correctly positioned over the bolt
Remember the hole has to be big enough to get the bolt head through.
You will not be able to use a socket set to unbolt this
you need a good quality torx and i used a box spanner on the end of the torx to get sufficient leverage

#15 ·
All done, went a lot smoother than expected

Removed rear pegs and exhaust

Hole drilled, looks spot on

Sprayed some gt85 and managed to wiggle out the baffle. The nut has a spot weld, so needs a bit of muscle

Down the pipe

This is a bit of an odd one, the clamp nut was positioned facing the other way and quite hard to get to, I’m now wondering if they did that intentionally to make it difficult to nick?

#20 ·
Yep, the hole drilled was directly over the nut fortunately. I used the measurements in the video but moved the horizontal measurement a few mm to the right. The hole size I ended up with was 13mm diameter, just enough to get the socket head through.

Baffle can now be put back in, rubber grommet removed and nut screwed back in if desired.

#22 ·
So, after a few days baffless I've decided to keep the Akra for the time being.

It's a huge improvement over the standard with a lot of popping and crackling and definitely noticed an improvement in peoples awareness in heavy traffic, actually moving out of my way again without having to ask :devil:

#27 ·
Resurrecting an older thread.. Just ordered my Akra yesterday.

Wondering if anyone has tried drilling out the rivets that hold the end cap on to access the allen bolt? (Same as you might if you were doing a repack job.) I know it's slightly more labor intensive, and not everyone has a rivet tool, but it might be a nice alternative to cutting through the carbon. Any thoughts?

#28 ·
Akra used to ship these with holes already cut in the carbon and a rubber insert for access to the bolt, exactly like below, I assume they stopped because of the euro law sh1te.

I did consider p1ssing about with the rivets but could not be 4rsed, seemed like way more hassle than it's worth. Also if you needed to replace the baffle for any reason, mot, trackday etc you can't unless you redo all the rivets again.

If you do attempt this, let us know how you get on.

#35 ·
Guys, please don't drill your exhaust if you don't have the intention to remove/install the DB killer every day.

If you want to remove the DB killer forever you can do so by removing the carbon fiber holding rivets, remove the carbon fiber, unscrew the screw that holds the DB killer and install new rivets. This way you will not damage your exhaust and you can revert to factory spec one day without any visual marks.

#36 · (Edited)
Hi joaoelvas, would you be so kind as to post a detailed guide with pictures of you doing this please?

As mentioned previously, akra used to ship these with the keyhole already in the carbon and a rubber bung exactly as above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.