KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Ah, no luck with the screw extractor. Would not get a bite on it. Think I have to use a last resort tactic. Should I drill through the bolt?
Hold up, are you trying to remove it with a hex key (inside) or socket (outer)?

I could be mistaken but I seem to remember using an 8mm socket, it had a small spot weld so took a bit of muscle to crack it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hold up, are you trying to remove it with a hex key (inside) or socket (outer)?

I could be mistaken but I seem to remember using an 8mm socket, it had a small spot weld so took a bit of muscle to crack it.
Tried removing with a hex key, failed with flying colors. Trying outer with a socket tonight to see if that will do the trick. Really hoping it works, I made this whole process way harder than it needs to be.

·
Super-Member
668 Posts
I stripped the bolt. I'm a stripper. Taking recos on how to remove a stripped hex bolt.
LOL, with a bigger hex! You can always try to slice the head with a grinding wheel and then use a flat head screw driver on it. Or last resort, drill it and try an easy out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That definitely would be the easier way but my OCD self rather pull the carbon end cap off. I have no interest in ever putting the baffle back in. Just not sure what size rivets are needed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You lot are a bad influence....of course i had to remove the DB killer ( i should know better at 58! ) i had to use a 8mm socket as the allen key just wouldnt budge the holding bolt but all done...sounds luurvely..:p

·
Registered
40 Posts
You lot are a bad influence....of course i had to remove the DB killer ( i should know better at 58! ) i had to use a 8mm socket as the allen key just wouldnt budge the holding bolt but all done...sounds luurvely..:p
they got me too, went the rivet method, followed @EvansB2 (thanks) and wrestled with both the rivets and trying to take off the end cap. Happy with the results!

·
Registered
92 Posts
they got me too, went the rivet method, followed @EvansB2 (thanks) and wrestled with both the rivets and trying to take off the end cap. Happy with the results!
also just went with the rivet method. Drilling them out was a bugger (seemed to be a pretty quality rivet that akra used), and getting the end cap off took a ton of wiggling and pulling and a few beers while really hoping not to damage the carbon, but it came out. once the cap was off the baffle came right out and everything else slid right back on. i used just standard short 3/16" stainless rivets and a rivet gun that took about every ounce of grip strength you could possibly give it, but in the end the install was very clean and sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm about to do this on my 890, does anyone know the size of the bolt/hole left once the baffle is removed? I'd like to plug it with another bolt before closing it with the rivets..

41 - 57 of 57 Posts