KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Also the mods may want to move this to the exhaust / headers section, it鈥檚 an aftermarket accessory, but it probably fits better in there 馃檪 sorry my bad

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So, after a few days baffless I've decided to keep the Akra for the time being.

It's a huge improvement over the standard with a lot of popping and crackling and definitely noticed an improvement in peoples awareness in heavy traffic, actually moving out of my way again without having to ask :devil:

Reactions: J D

Wish You Were Here

It's a huge improvement over the standard with a lot of popping and crackling and definitely noticed an improvement in peoples awareness in heavy traffic, actually moving out of my way again without having to ask :devil:
Much wisdom :devil:

the only way to go

Reactions: owl

Registered
Resurrecting an older thread.. Just ordered my Akra yesterday.

Wondering if anyone has tried drilling out the rivets that hold the end cap on to access the allen bolt? (Same as you might if you were doing a repack job.) I know it's slightly more labor intensive, and not everyone has a rivet tool, but it might be a nice alternative to cutting through the carbon. Any thoughts?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Resurrecting an older thread.. Just ordered my Akra yesterday.

Wondering if anyone has tried drilling out the rivets that hold the end cap on to access the allen bolt? (Same as you might if you were doing a repack job.) I know it's slightly more labor intensive, and not everyone has a rivet tool, but it might be a nice alternative to cutting through the carbon. Any thoughts?
Akra used to ship these with holes already cut in the carbon and a rubber insert for access to the bolt, exactly like below, I assume they stopped because of the euro law sh1te.

I did consider p1ssing about with the rivets but could not be 4rsed, seemed like way more hassle than it's worth. Also if you needed to replace the baffle for any reason, mot, trackday etc you can't unless you redo all the rivets again.

If you do attempt this, let us know how you get on.

Registered
Akra used to ship these with holes already cut in the carbon and a rubber insert for access to the bolt, exactly like below, I assume they stopped because of the euro law sh1te.

I did consider p1ssing about with the rivets but could not be 4rsed, seemed like way more hassle than it's worth. Also if you needed to replace the baffle for any reason, mot, trackday etc you can't unless you redo all the rivets again.

If you do attempt this, let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the reply. I should receive the exhaust in a few weeks (hopefully, no more than that..). If I give the rivets a try I'll definitely report back.

Registered

After being initially set on an SC Project pipe eventually i decided to just pull the baffle on the Akrapovic and see whats what.
That deep base and insane overrun-popping is just fantastic, i don麓t think i麓ll be spending any money on another exhaust.

Followed the measurements to the T from the video and it lined up perfectly with the bolt. I also felt the baffle itself came out real easy, just a small twist and pull and it was out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
After being initially set on an SC Project pipe eventually i decided to just pull the baffle on the Akrapovic and see whats what.
That deep base and insane overrun-popping is just fantastic, i don麓t think i麓ll be spending any money on another exhaust.

Followed the measurements to the T from the video and it lined up perfectly with the bolt. I also felt the baffle itself came out real easy, just a small twist and pull and it was out.
Good to hear it went well.

I'm still tempted looking at a few other pipes :grin:

Just going to throw these measurements up onto an image as well - just in case that video ever disappears for some reason.

Registered
Thanks for the reply. I should receive the exhaust in a few weeks (hopefully, no more than that..). If I give the rivets a try I'll definitely report back.

Well, it took long enough, but I finally gave it a go. (Drilling out the rivets rather than cutting the carbon.) Not sure I'd exactly recommend it. Drilling those suckers out was a real bear; it took a second drill bit and a lot of patience. The cap also isn't particularly easy to pull out once you've drilled through all the rivets. I ended up having to squirt some WD-40 into the seam before I could get it out.

The new rivets (Akrapovic; stainless steel and blind) to put it all back together are available from Revzilla. I think they were like $2.50 ea. You need six. They're hard to pull, but I managed to do it with a good quality, standard size hand riveter.

I've attached a couple photos of what it looks like apart - so, you can get an idea of what's on the other side of the rivets you're drilling - and a couple photos of the finished job.

Again, I'm not exactly sure I'd recommend it - there was a good amount of sweat and swearing (and anxiety) involved in drilling out those stainless rivets - but in the end, I'm happy with the results.

Muffler Automotive exhaust Auto part Exhaust system Pipe

Machine tool Wood Room Hardwood Tool accessory

Muffler Auto part Material property Room Carbon

Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Muffler Auto part Pipe

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Rim Wheel

Registered
Well, it took long enough, but I finally gave it a go. (Drilling out the rivets rather than cutting the carbon.) Not sure I'd exactly recommend it. Drilling those suckers out was a real bear; it took a second drill bit and a lot of patience. The cap also isn't particularly easy to pull out once you've drilled through all the rivets. I ended up having to squirt some WD-40 into the seam before I could get it out.

The new rivets (Akrapovic; stainless steel and blind) to put it all back together are available from Revzilla. I think they were like $2.50 ea. You need six. They're hard to pull, but I managed to do it with a good quality, standard size hand riveter.

I've attached a couple photos of what it looks like apart - so, you can get an idea of what's on the other side of the rivets you're drilling - and a couple photos of the finished job.

Again, I'm not exactly sure I'd recommend it - there was a good amount of sweat and swearing (and anxiety) involved in drilling out those stainless rivets - but in the end, I'm happy with the results.

View attachment 2166

View attachment 2168

View attachment 2170

View attachment 2172

View attachment 2174
Nice job, I drilled the carbon and used the akra rubber bung so I can use the baffle if need be as I鈥檝e de cated.

Registered
Guys, please don't drill your exhaust if you don't have the intention to remove/install the DB killer every day.

If you want to remove the DB killer forever you can do so by removing the carbon fiber holding rivets, remove the carbon fiber, unscrew the screw that holds the DB killer and install new rivets. This way you will not damage your exhaust and you can revert to factory spec one day without any visual marks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Guys, please don't drill your exhaust if you don't have the intention to remove/install the DB killer every day.

If you want to remove the DB killer forever you can do so by removing the carbon fiber holding rivets, remove the carbon fiber, unscrew the screw that holds the DB killer and install new rivets. This way you will not damage your exhaust and you can revert to factory spec one day without any visual marks.
Hi joaoelvas, would you be so kind as to post a detailed guide with pictures of you doing this please?

As mentioned previously, akra used to ship these with the keyhole already in the carbon and a rubber bung exactly as above.

Registered
Hi joaoelvas, would you be so kind as to post a detailed guide with pictures of you doing this please?

As mentioned previously, akra used to ship these with the keyhole already in the carbon and a rubber bung exactly as above.[/QUOTE
The bung I鈥檝e used is genuine Akrapovic I can鈥檛 see the point in keep taking the end cap off 馃し*鈾

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The bung I鈥檝e used is genuine Akrapovic I can鈥檛 see the point in keep taking the end cap off 馃し*鈾
I鈥檇 love to know how long it takes, I鈥檝e only just seen @OrangeAid 鈥榮 post above, sounds like a right PITA.

I鈥檝e messed about with drilling rivets before, it鈥檚 certainly not something I鈥檇 recommend, although that could just be my mechanical ineptitude 馃ぃ

I really don鈥檛 see the point either, I don鈥檛 think anyone has even noticed the bung as it faces in.

May help someone else brave enough to bother I guess.

Registered
Much easier to drill one hole, unbolt the baffle, and pop in a rubber plug. Looks clean and makes it easy to re-install the baffle if needed. Took me less than 15 minutes and most of that was making sure I got the measurements right.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts