KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Absolutely NOT in California! Can't even buy the full system here. Just gathering info in case I can manage to get my hands on a full system.
Actually, MANY of us in California have purchased the Full Ti system and had dealers load the map. You might want to find another dealer.
You also have the Power Commander V option for a map.
I have NOT run the full system without a map because it would be risky, so I can not help you with your original question.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Any KTM dealer can flash the map, order the exhaust and install for you, you may just need to explain to them this is not for on road use.

Like my 1st dealer - we can flash the Akro maps - but you need to tow it outta here

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that any dealer "can". I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and every dealer within 100 miles told me the same thing. "Regardless of what you tell us you're going to do with the bike, it is against California state law for us to sell anything that removes/modifies smog devices and/or modify the ECU in any way, shape or form."

I've tried purchasing a full system online "for racing use only" and every place told me the same thing at checkout: "This item is not available for sale in the state of California."

So, I'll try one last time. Can anyone please tell me WHERE they were able to purchase an Akra full system for an 890R in the state of California?

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
I would definitely not run the full system without remapping. Worst case, you will cause damage. Best case, it will run poorly.

PCV is a simple enough install. So are some of the other solutions. RW PCV + map will be your easiest and probably cheapest solution. Can you ride over state line and get this done in NV?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Buy it online click the box that says i acknowledge the on road use only - this is how I get items shipped to me that is not legal for on road use in cali, ask the seller if they don't have this clearly posted on the website? Get it shipped from a out of state dealer to you where they may not even ask? Ask your local dealer to flash map informing them since this is a non street bike. Have you told your Cali dealer that you fully acknowledge this is for off road use only but you still want to order?

It's not 100% illegal, just illegal for on road use, that's the loophole you should be explaining to your dealer - you will only use for off road to satisfy their inquiries.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, none of that works for any dealers anywhere near me. They all know this is how people try to get around the state laws plus apparently they get into a lot of trouble if they get caught.

Speaking of the PCV, do they still throw error codes and fvck up the cruise control? That's why I like the Coober, it's seemless and doesn't break anything.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yep, none of that works for any dealers anywhere near me. They all know this is how people try to get around the state laws plus apparently they get into a lot of trouble if they get caught.

Speaking of the PCV, do they still throw error codes and fvck up the cruise control? That's why I like the Coober, it's seemless and doesn't break anything.
You may consider the Rapid Bike unit, or a reflash by Openflash. I'm currently using both (on a 901 and 890R), and am satisfied with both

·
Registered
92 Posts

Sounds like they are not even listening to you, if you literally tell them its for off-road use only, how is it illegal? If they get caught - I would just show the fining agency that this person gave me some document written or informed or checked this box that its not for on road use (literally why sellers make you check that box). Have you even asked them if they will sell it, or is it just all caught up into its illegal for cali and your dealer is not listening to your reasoning?

Again its not illegal to purchase and install and get the map flash, its illegal for it to be used on public roads, plethora of bikes are purchased for track only, maybe you should try to explain that to the dealer?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like they are not even listening to you, if you literally tell them its for off-road use only, how is it illegal? If they get caught - I would just show the fining agency that this person gave me some document written or informed or checked this box that its not for on road use (literally why sellers make you check that box). Have you even asked them if they will sell it, or is it just all caught up into its illegal for cali and your dealer is not listening to your reasoning?

Again its not illegal to purchase and install and get the map flash, its illegal for it to be used on public roads, plethora of bikes are purchased for track only, maybe you should try to explain that to the dealer?
Were you able to buy a full system in Cali? Where?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I used to work with/as the exclusive N. America distributor for LeoVoince and Arrow Exhausts. It's a HUGE risk to distributors and resellers to sell in CA. Companies have been hit with fines in the MILLIONS of dollars for selling race systems to retail customers in CA. We stopped all retail sales of non-CARB certified pipes for this reason. The only way we'd sell the non-compliant systems to retail customers was if they signed a waiver saying that they would not use the system on the street in CA and that they were liable for our fines if they were caught doing so... that liability effectively negated 80% of customer interest (of those that inquired).

You CAN find dealers that will sell to you, especially if you have a good relationship/history with them. Mach 1 in Vallejo hasn't batted an eye at selling me exhausts, but that's mostly because we had a working relationship as one of their exhaust vendors... and I've bought 3 bikes from them.

A tactic that seems to work is to tell them that you're a racer that's building a dedicated track bike. Offer to show them pics of you on your bike at the track. The Akra full system was developed in conjunction with KTM and has a factory tuned map available - best part is, if you do it all at the dealer (purchase, install, map) it doesn't void any of your warranty.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts