KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove the airbox on this thing? I can't even find a video or discussion for removal on the 790.
Help please!
Thanks,
Lonny

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no service manual for the 890 yet, and the only info I can find for the 790 is for the adventure,, and it's different than the Duke.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R, 2008 KTM EXC-R, 1959 Harley-Davidson Panhead, 1981 Yamaha XS650
10 Posts
This vid shows the process of removing the air filter but not the entire air box.
M5 screws with 3Nm (2.2 lb ft) torque

If you look carefully on this site you can find the 2018 790 duke service manual where I pulled this from:

Though maybe you meant literally how to REMOVE THE BOX. I have no idea then...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Removing the filter box - AFAIK - is a real serious operation.

You will need to split the rear subframe as there is a brace that runs side to side through a special triangular tube in the airbox.
As well as the manual - which is comprehensive - I would suggest you study the parts fiche - easily visible online.

So far the evidence suggests no real advantage - the Helmholz effect of the airbox is well developed esp at higher rpms.
I have seen an airbox elimination kit - but the guy in Austria who developed it seems to have dropped off the map.
But he proffered it was more a gain at midrange. And he confessed that stock fuelling did not cope.

I would suggest that you will need also to look at a PCV (fuel and ignition) or COOBER as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When installing the PC V, it states to remove the seat, tank and airbox. I'm sure this is to get better access too the throttle bodies. A link to the Duke service manual would be great. I have found and downloaded the manual from KTM, but it is the adventure manual, not the Duke as indicated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R, 2008 KTM EXC-R, 1959 Harley-Davidson Panhead, 1981 Yamaha XS650
10 Posts
790dukeforum.com/threads/790-duke-workshop-manual.1142/

·
Registered
65 Posts
When installing the PC V, it states to remove the seat, tank and airbox. I'm sure this is to get better access too the throttle bodies. A link to the Duke service manual would be great. I have found and downloaded the manual from KTM, but it is the adventure manual, not the Duke as indicated. Thanks.
When I installed my PCV I just took the seat and tank off ,not the air box .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My big hands didn't fit. If you loosen the 4 large subframe bolts and remove the top 2, the whole subframe tilts away and down to rest on the back tire. That creates some good work space. Getting the throttle body boots back into the air box was easy too. The right cylinder coil connecting was a *****. Is all back together with the Akropovic full Ti exhaust, PCV and the charcoal canister delete. Looks good, sounds good, it's lighter and I can't wait to do some ripping tomorrow after work.
Thanks for the help and the link.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My big hands didn't fit. If you loosen the 4 large subframe bolts and remove the top 2, the whole subframe tilts away and down to rest on the back tire. That creates some good work space. Getting the throttle body boots back into the air box was easy too. The right cylinder coil connecting was a *. Is all back together with the Akropovic full Ti exhaust, PCV and the charcoal canister delete. Looks good, sounds good, it's lighter and I can't wait to do some ripping tomorrow after work.
Thanks for the help and the link. Let’s see pics of the RG 500 Gamma👀
View attachment 4541 View attachment 4542 View attachment 4543

1 - 11 of 11 Posts