KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Do you get a better deal being they are made in Spain?
That alone I doubt. But if I can persuade my mate with a bike shop to get them in for me I might well get them cheaper. Was going to pop and see him today, but I have had to put the ride off.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Easy pull clutch

[/URL]
Was thinking about going with aftermarket levers. Maybe a little shorter, maybe a little more "high-tech" looking. Any suggestions?
Hi,
from a user experience, a shorter clutch simply is easier to handle as the original longer one. Once you start using the shorter clutch it is kinda strange and uncomfortable when you ride a bike with the original longer clutch again.

We have tested different clutches and developed our own. While testing we have noticed that some riders are using one finger some rather two. Therefore we ended up with two solutions. :)
Short version: 10 cm (For one finger use).
Long version: 12 cm ( The two centimetres simply give you more space for using the clutch with two fingers). Easy pull clutch: http://bit.ly/378Yfru

Attachments

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Decided to give these a try (Amazon Cheapies).

Sadly not available all black via Prime. May add pivot bushings - we'll see how they look "in person".

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Decided to give these a try (Amazon Cheapies).

Sadly not available all black via Prime. May add pivot bushings - we'll see how they look "in person".
Hopefully you will have better luck then me. The first set came in with the wrong adapter they were clearly for another bike. Since i didn’t go with “prime” end up being a real pain to exchange it. So i went with evay(witch I’ve never had any problems) got the right one but i had to tighten the screws to the edge in oder don’t have too much loose since they have not been made with tight gap. It get to be ok!! not perfect So in my case was not so cheap but I’m still fine with it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Whatever you do be wary of breaking the clutch switch. I dont even know how I broke mine as I thought I was careful in the work but it got me ******

·
Registered
155 Posts
You are right, the tiny push pin on that switch seems really fragile and when I removed the lever it went out of the it’s socket. Manage to put it back in, seems ok. Can’t test since the bike is in pieces right now. 😁

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hopefully you will have better luck then me.
Over the last 3 months I have seen a marked change in the ad's. Most 790 lever ads were suggesting the seller thought 790ADV and 790D had the same levers. New ads say 790D only.

I always do a dry fit and if they are even slightly out - they won't go on. Those switch pins - easy to damage on any bike. Thankfully the clutch is feather light on the 790.

Depending on the bore tolerances I may get a pack of IGUS bushes. https://www.igus.eu/product/1

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
OK - So fitted the levers this AM.

I feel some bushes may be in order. There is evidence of wear on the OEM pins from the OEM levers. Not a lot - but enough for this old engineer to be fussy.

I can see how some may have damaged the clutch switch. Due to the heads-up this was avoided.
I can also see (though I'd guessed) why some cheap levers can cause the front brakes to lock on. This set has an adjuster, but needs a lock screw (or thread lock) adding.

So :

A decision to be made. Make/buy some 8mmOD to 6mmID bushes and simply drop an M6 bolt through or ream out the levers to 9 or 10mm - make/buy bushes with 8mmID and use original pins.

They're also a bit longer than I'd hoped. But there we are. But it means I can hide the OEM ones away safely.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Whilst hunting for soemthing else entirely - I stumbled on the MFW levers. I don't recall having seen them on theMotoacc site before

Will ask MFW for photos on bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Easy pull clutch

[/URL]

Hi,
from a user experience, a shorter clutch simply is easier to handle as the original longer one. Once you start using the shorter clutch it is kinda strange and uncomfortable when you ride a bike with the original longer clutch again.

We have tested different clutches and developed our own. While testing we have noticed that some riders are using one finger some rather two. Therefore we ended up with two solutions. :)
Short version: 10 cm (For one finger use).
Long version: 12 cm ( The two centimetres simply give you more space for using the clutch with two fingers). Easy pull clutch: |RokOn| Rok Bagoros universal easy-pull CLUTCH LEVER
Do these levers work on 790 Duke? On the Website, it appears these are only for 200 / 390 / etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
A buddy bought MSV Chinese levers from AliExpress 3 months ago and it ate his clutch cable in under 2 months of riding (brand new Yamaha MT-10) and then there's this from Brian Van at STG:
Very true. You get what you pay for. I worked at a motorcycle shop in Vancouver for 8yrs and in that time we had many riders bring in their "Chazzo" levers for install and several came back a few months later with broken clutch cables. Some a year or 2 after. Depends on how much you ride. The big manufacturers adjust to every change each year to a specific bike so each perch is exact. The knock off companies put a lever on a new model and if it works...sorta......they call it. The big companies also use much better quality material. I put 101,000kms on a Ducati 848 I used to own and in that time I went through 1pr of LighTech levers, 1pr of Pazzo levers and 5pr of "Chazzo" levers. I sold the LighTech still in great condition as bushings and push pins can be replaced on them. The Pazzo I sold for a change of bike colour. Both set had approx 25,000kms on them. Decided to try the "Chazzo" and got approx 10,000kms before each set wore out the pivot points.

·
MotoGP Moderator
910 Posts
I have been riding with eBay levers, rearsets, etc. for years. Never had any issues. I am probably doing something wrong...

Reactions: Geoff

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I have been riding with eBay levers, rearsets, etc. for years. Never had any issues. I am probably doing something wrong...
Ditto - no problems at all. Tooling and materials in China have improved dramatically in many instances over the years, whether it relates to motorcycles or not. There are still "lemons" but that's not just restricted to Asia :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
That would make 2 of us. I've had Chai-knees levers on the R3 for a decade and that is a heavy frikken clutch. Little or no wear.

·
MotoGP Moderator
910 Posts
That would make 2 of us. I've had Chai-knees levers on the R3 for a decade and that is a heavy frikken clutch. Little or no wear.
I watched the STG video. I have also experienced that eBay lever tolerances are a bit wider (up or down). That can cause both problems Brian is discussing. Too tight or too loose. I think it boils down to the less than perfect manufacturers' QA. I had to ask for a replacement on levers, once. The vendor sent me another set, free of charge, without even bothering with a return. Worked for me.

My experience is that you need to test off the bike, test after install and only then take out for a riding test. In most cases (and definitely the two Brian shows in the video) testing in the garage would have revealed the issues. One more thing I do is use loctite on all rearset bolts. Never had one get loose.

There is no doubt that CRG products are more solid, higher quality, etc. They are also 2-4 times more expensive. In most cases, I have a problem paying this difference on CNC aluminium parts.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts