KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Top Speed guru
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about going with aftermarket levers. Maybe a little shorter, maybe a little more "high-tech" looking. Any suggestions?

Reactions: J D

·
Premium Member
332 Posts

Attachments

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
300 Posts
I’m trying to wait for ASV to make a set but maybe a pair of china levers won’t hurt for that price.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’m trying to wait for ASV to make a set but maybe a pair of china levers won’t hurt for that price.
I had a standard lever breaking on a stupid fall from standing still that left me with no usable front brake.
Folding levers (Chinese) any day since then.
I guess I'll go China for the 790 too if the quality is decent.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
552 Posts
I'll cheap out on anything not safety related - sticker kits, rear seat cowls, even bar end mirrors but NEVER on anything that has a chance of failure that can result in a crash. Nothing fluid holding and nothing to do with the bikes controls.

A buddy bought MSV Chinese levers from AliExpress 3 months ago and it ate his clutch cable in under 2 months of riding (brand new Yamaha MT-10) and then there's this from Brian Van at STG:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not all the Chinese bits are built the same.
Some are decent, some are ugly, some went directly from the package into the trash.

·
Registered
141 Posts
@YoungLion

Thanks for the link, that's interesting.
I bought aftermarket levers and i did notice a looser tolerance but not large enough to worry me.
I was careful to ensure there was enough lube around (and mentioned it in the how to) The ktm levers are a very simple design, i can't think why you'd need a bearing on the angle cam, are people adjusting their lever for each bend!?

·
Registered
32 Posts
A buddy bought MSV Chinese levers from AliExpress 3 months ago and it ate his clutch cable in under 2 months of riding (brand new Yamaha MT-10) and then there's this from Brian Van at STG:
Problem with those levers could have been the nipple housing depth. Had the same thing with my KLX dirt bike. Clutch cable broke after a few months. Bought new cable, found that when fitting the cable run was not central and was slightly rubbing on the yoke. Fixed by grinding a fraction off the nipple to ensure the nipple sat well down in the cavity and the cable was central.

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
I have bee riding with Chinese CNC levers and rear-sets for years and on different bikes. Never had a problem.

Last set I ordered for the D790 didn't feel right and I am just not using them. I did not like the angle on both sides and the clutch lever had too much free play in its seat than I would care for.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a new brake lever.
Together with the Braking master cyinder :(
It looks ugly on the duke but I needed a brake to drive back home.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have a mate who builds race bikes here - Going to see if he can find alternative J.JUAN levers.

Apart from the PP lever price - I DO NOT WANT ORANGE!. I can put up with a bit of Titanium colour - But I want black.

I can understand the folding lever thing - but I really don't like them. Also not that sure I like the extendible thing - This is simply building in weakness.

What I am a fan of is the adjustment system on ASV and the V-Trec VX levers. Because it's infinite.

But I agree, who clicks levers to adjust routinely?

What I want to look at is whether shorties will work well. Need to sit with a ruler and think. I use shorties on my R3 - I have smallish hands and deformed "pinkies" - Thinking.

·
Super-Member
595 Posts
Ye I was debating the shorties for a long time. I still haven't made up my mind, but I am not really looking to swap the levers out at this point.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ye I was debating the shorties for a long time. I still haven't made up my mind, but I am not really looking to swap the levers out at this point.
I'm not PLANNING to really either - but I'd like to have my options clear in case I have to suddenly! replace them.:crying:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Right now im running black PUIG shortys which are nice and seems like quality products but the dream for me would be CRG carbon shortys, but i don´t think they exist for the 790 right now :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had the brake lever disintegrating when dropping the old bike from standing still: folding any day.
There is no guarantee that the ball will break away and save the rest of the lever and I'd rather go back home if I can at all.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
So - I've been looking about a bit and "stumbled" across PUIG levers. Not the cheapest but also not stoopid expensive. Difference is you buy the model specific adapter bits and then the lever style you like - And a plus for me - The colour you like. All Black in my case. The advantage being you just change the lever bit (which is universal) if you drop it.

https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/levers/levers

Note that whilst NOT on the web - their 2020 catalog (for download) shows a new range of levers 3.0.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts