KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KTM 790 Duke
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm posting some info and pics about what I did here in case anyone else is considering something similar.

I just wanted a smallish bag that was low profile and easy to swap in and out.

Contrary to what the SW-Motech Seat-Rack installation instructions indicate, you do not need to remove the stock pillion grab-handle to insert nor remove the seat-rack assembly.

As you can see the KTM small tail-bag fits perfectly over the seat-rack and having the stock grab-handle in place does not interfere in any way.

I also purchased the KTM Ergo pillion seat to match the main seat. The Ergo seat pad comes as the pad only, you need to have a seat base to install it on. Although considering how often I will have the pillion seat on the bike , this was probably waste of $.

Considering I planned on dedicating my original pillion seat base to the Seat-Rack, I had also purchased a used complete pillion seat assembly on eBay for a low price just to get the base. This way I can have two complete assemblies and swap out the seat-rack with the Ergo pillion seat in seconds.

Even though I could have simply strapped the tail-bag to the 2nd rear-pillion seat (i.e., not installed the seat-rack) I wanted this bag to sit as low as possible on the bike. The Seat-Rack's low flat profile probably lowers the tail-bag by approx 1.5" compared to strapping it on top of the stock pillion seat pad.

Of course this setup costs a bit of extra $ for the seat-rack and the 2nd (used) seat assembly to get the quickly swappable seat vs rack capability, but I like the seat-rack idea also for possible future larger bag options if I ever need it. I'm thinking about putting SW-Motech's evo ring on it tbh - I believe the seat rack is pre-drilled for that option.

2nd full assembly with Ergo pillion.

·
Registered
2020 KTM 790 Duke
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The bag is the KTM tail-bag part 61712978000

It expand slightly if needed from 10 to 16 litres.

I had originally ordered the original 61312978000 tail-bag that expands 300% (10 to 30 litre) up to a point of being able to carry a spare helmet, but apparently it has been replaced by this newer 617... bag that only expands vertically by 60% more.

At first I was disappointed, but then I came to feel that I will never have a need to carry a spare helmet anyway and the vertical 60% expansion of this new design is probably more useful to me than the previous flip open expansion helmet-carrier design. Whatever.

This bag seems very sturdily attached with the two front clips and the single rear velcro strap.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I like the low profile. Could you have just removed the pillion seat cushion and not install the rack and still strapped on the bag?

·
Registered
2020 KTM 790 Duke
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the low profile. Could you have just removed the pillion seat cushion and not install the rack and still strapped on the bag?
I considered that too, but if you remove the cushion from the base it leaves many holes (some quite large) on the plastic base and it would be a concern for water ingress into the area under the pillion.
Also if you removed the bag to carry it somewhere and left the plastic base exposed there would be a lot of exposed openings.

Of course if you know you will never replace the seat cushion on this base then I suppose you could plug/patch the holes to eliminate this concern, so perhaps it's an option for some.

Although thinking about it a bit more it could be a bit challenging to find appropriate points for the velcro rear strap and the front clip strap to fasten onto.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I considered that too, but if you remove the cushion from the base it leaves many holes (some quite large) on the plastic base and it would be a concern for water ingress into the area under the pillion.
Also if you removed the bag to carry it somewhere and left the plastic base exposed there would be a lot of exposed openings.

Of course if you know you will never replace the seat cushion on this base then I suppose you could plug/patch the holes to eliminate this concern, so perhaps it's an option for some.

Although thinking about it a bit more it could be a bit challenging to find appropriate points for the velcro rear strap and the front clip strap to fasten onto.
Thank you. So the rack takes care of all that. Got it. :)

You need a nice KTM sticker on the rack to dress it up a bit when the bag is removed. :)

·
Registered
2020 KTM 790 Duke
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Something important I forgot to mention here. You cannot simply remove the seat cushion because it is the cushion part that has the latching pin integrated into it. Without the cushion on top the base part as nothing to latch/lock it in place with.

The Seat-Rack cushion replacement comes with the latching/locking pin integrated into Seat-Rack to go through the appropriate hole in the base and lock in place.

Sorry, it was a few months ago I was doing this so I just remembered this late last night - but obviously this is the main reason you can't simply use the base on its own.

Finally, one other thing to point out is that of course the Seat-Rack's forward angle is much more sloped than the pillion seat's cushion because the Seat-Rack sits flat and flush on the sloped base of the pillion seat assembly. The effect of this is that any bag attached to the Seat-Rack will be sloped fwd quite a bit more than it would be if it were simply strapped on top of the pillion seat cushion. For me overall low profile of the bag was most important, so I accept the angled look - but for others a more "level" look might be desirable. Something to consider.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm posting some info and pics about what I did here in case anyone else is considering something similar.

I just wanted a smallish bag that was low profile and easy to swap in and out.

Contrary to what the SW-Motech Seat-Rack installation instructions indicate, you do not need to remove the stock pillion grab-handle to insert nor remove the seat-rack assembly.

As you can see the KTM small tail-bag fits perfectly over the seat-rack and having the stock grab-handle in place does not interfere in any way.

I also purchased the KTM Ergo pillion seat to match the main seat. The Ergo seat pad comes as the pad only, you need to have a seat base to install it on. Although considering how often I will have the pillion seat on the bike , this was probably waste of $.

Considering I planned on dedicating my original pillion seat base to the Seat-Rack, I had also purchased a used complete pillion seat assembly on eBay for a low price just to get the base. This way I can have two complete assemblies and swap out the seat-rack with the Ergo pillion seat in seconds.

Even though I could have simply strapped the tail-bag to the 2nd rear-pillion seat (i.e., not installed the seat-rack) I wanted this bag to sit as low as possible on the bike. The Seat-Rack's low flat profile probably lowers the tail-bag by approx 1.5" compared to strapping it on top of the stock pillion seat pad.

Of course this setup costs a bit of extra $ for the seat-rack and the 2nd (used) seat assembly to get the quickly swappable seat vs rack capability, but I like the seat-rack idea also for possible future larger bag options if I ever need it. I'm thinking about putting SW-Motech's evo ring on it tbh - I believe the seat rack is pre-drilled for that option.

View attachment 6827

View attachment 6828

View attachment 6829
View attachment 6830

View attachment 6831 View attachment 6836

View attachment 6832

View attachment 6833

View attachment 6834

2nd full assembly with Ergo pillion.
View attachment 6837
I did the same not long after I got my bike in 2019 - I did add a Givi tank ring to hold a small "Tanklocked" bag. Still working well after almost two years - really like how I can just push the red retaining catch and lift the bag off.

I noticed some water drops under the rack one time when I washed the bike so you might want to block those - I just used some small strips of duck tape and it's properly waterproof now.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I keep toying with the idea of finding a tatty rear seat on ebay and using a bit of carbon fibre trickery from my mate Rafa to have a seat rack. Basically wrap the seat foam in C/F or maybe just G/F. But it's way down on my list of things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts