KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This warning suddenly came up on the display a few days ago, a few minutes into a ride. Bike still runs, but without direct shift and, of course, no ABS or MTC. The warning goes away after restart but again reappears after a few min.

An additional oddity is that the headlight occasionally stays on after turning the ignition OFF. Flipping the ignition on and then off again turns the headlight off. Not sure if this is related or not. Also, starting seems more and more difficult. I did see posts on potential battery issues.

I saw multiple posts about failures that were similar but different enough for a separate thread. Any ideas...?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Took the bike to dealer. Updated electronics and ran diagnostics. They reassured me the error was fixed by the updates. Jumped on the bike and drove about 5 miles... and the error comes right back. What I really don't understand is how it disables the direct shift. Back to the dealer...

Has anyone seen this...?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would think it has to be something with the wheel-speed and or abs sensors? I believe the front wheel ABS works off the speed sensor right? Maybe check those out and see if anything is loose or chewed up? I would think that those are how the computer modulates and allows for the quick shifter

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would think it has to be something with the wheel-speed and or abs sensors? I believe the front wheel ABS works off the speed sensor right? Maybe check those out and see if anything is loose or chewed up? I would think that those are how the computer modulates and allows for the quick shifter
This turned out to be exactly the case! There was a small ding on the rear wheel speed sensor that caused the sensor to freak out and create cascading malfunctions with traction control and direct-shift. It makes sense that it would affect the traction control, but I still don't understand, and neither does the dealer, why and how it caused direct-shifting to stop working. Great lesson learned for me as well as the dealer.

·
a d m i n .
151,044 Posts
This turned out to be exactly the case! There was a small ding on the rear wheel speed sensor that caused the sensor to freak out and create cascading malfunctions with traction control and direct-shift. It makes sense that it would affect the traction control, but I still don't understand, and neither does the dealer, why and how it caused direct-shifting to stop working. Great lesson learned for me as well as the dealer.
I feel like I’ve heard this a few times, even on my CBR forum.

·
Registered
599 Posts
What is direct shift? You mean the quickshifter?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Bump this thread to see if anyone else has had this issue recently. I've getting the exact same errors as this image. I can't change rider modes b/c it says something along the lines of "release throttle to change modes" but I wasn't touching the throttle at all.

Dealer just shrugged and said "it's probably the aftermarket LED turn signals or tail light. There's no fix if adding inline resisters doesn't work". Lazy dealers are annoying!

What is direct shift? You mean the quickshifter?
I'm curious about this too

·
Registered
211 Posts
I never had an issue till a spill i took last year. Replaced everything the way I had it and am getting the same error as OP. Might need to try out some resistor to see if that fixes the issue. I get a similar issue on my Ram 1500 after replacing all the indicator/brake/interior lights with LED lights. Buying CANBUS LEDs didn't do anything, it's the drop in resistance that's causing the issue... so maybe same thing on the Duke.

If it is... that's just F-ing stupid - why does a blinker/brake light bulb cause my frickin traction control and ABS to turn off? Give me a warning, sure, but telling me something is wrong by reducing my safety seems.... asinine

·
Registered
5 Posts
check the cable !
happened to me and few others in the forum -

This warning suddenly came up on the display a few days ago, a few minutes into a ride. Bike still runs, but without direct shift and, of course, no ABS or MTC. The warning goes away after restart but again reappears after a few min.

An additional oddity is that the headlight occasionally stays on after turning the ignition OFF. Flipping the ignition on and then off again turns the headlight off. Not sure if this is related or not. Also, starting seems more and more difficult. I did see posts on potential battery issues.

I saw multiple posts about failures that were similar but different enough for a separate thread. Any ideas...?

View attachment 6569

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had this happen today as well after a tire change. Already checked that the sensors are installed correctly. No damage to the sensor ring that I can see either. It was working fine before removing and installing the wheels so I have to believe it’s tied to the wheel install but I can’t figure out what happened. Maybe the tire changer bent the sensor ring? I’m going to install my spare wheel tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this happen today as well after a tire change. Already checked that the sensors are installed correctly. No damage to the sensor ring that I can see either. It was working fine before removing and installing the wheels so I have to believe it’s tied to the wheel install but I can’t figure out what happened. Maybe the tire changer bent the sensor ring? I’m going to install my spare wheel tomorrow and see what happens.
I have the same issue after changing the rear tyre!! Did you find a solution ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts