KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question to those of you who have installed adjustable rearsets ; KTM, Woodcraft, ... :
Is there a model that offers at least one position which pushes the peg further back while maintaining stock height ?
The Gilles rearset may achieve this but I am not sure.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think the Gilles is the close from my reading there is some debate over if the numbers reported on their website reflect difference from the lower 790 pegs, or if it reflects the difference for either...

·
Registered
8 Posts
A question to those of you who have installed adjustable rearsets ; KTM, Woodcraft, ... :
Is there a model that offers at least one position which pushes the peg further back while maintaining stock height ?
The Gilles rearset may achieve this but I am not sure.
Yes, the KTM ones offer 3 positions back and 3 positions up. Separately.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wet plus dirt runoff from the hills thanks to the insane rains we’ve had in NorCal. Wasn’t leaned over hard or pushing and as soon as I gassed it mid corner both wheels stepped out and went into a nasty tank slapper that dumped me hard. No bueno.
On further inspection it was the bolt that snapped. The peg is a little ground down but structurally intact. Weak hardware.

·
Registered
506 Posts
And probably deliberately so.
Would you rather replace a cheap bolt or precision machined ground away peg?
Or worse still have all that stress transferred into the frame!.
Funnily enough I just watched the woodcraft video on their rearsets and they purposely make a weak point in the pegs so they snap in the event of a crash so hopefully you can carry on riding all be it with a shorter peg.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Wet plus dirt runoff from the hills thanks to the insane rains we’ve had in NorCal. Wasn’t leaned over hard or pushing and as soon as I gassed it mid corner both wheels stepped out and went into a nasty tank slapper that dumped me hard. No bueno.
On further inspection it was the bolt that snapped. The peg is a little ground down but structurally intact. Weak hardware.
Erm what?? You crashed and the foot peg broke = weak hardware? There is nothing wrong with the quality, or strength, or Gilles products. The foot pegs are sacrificial by design....hence why they are replaceable.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
And probably deliberately so.
Would you rather replace a cheap bolt or precision machined ground away peg?
Or worse still have all that stress transferred into the frame!.
Funnily enough I just watched the woodcraft video on their rearsets and they purposely make a weak point in the pegs so they snap in the event of a crash so hopefully you can carry on riding all be it with a shorter peg.
Erm what?? You crashed and the foot peg broke = weak hardware? There is nothing wrong with the quality, or strength, or Gilles products. The foot pegs are sacrificial by design....hence why they are replaceable.
Tough crowd. ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don’t think my comment makes me ignorant. I’ve raced and crashed bikes with a variety of rearsets. In all cases the footpeg has acted as a frame slider of sorts, grinding or bending a bit or (as mentioned) having ends designed to snap off so you can keep riding with a shorter peg. This is generally why I run rearsets on the street too - folding pegs makes frame damage more likely if you tip over.

In my crash on Friday I was going maybe 45 and lost traction on a dirty corner, the bike didn’t slide very far, not a hard crash by any means. But the bolt securing the footpeg to the rearset snapped and I was left with a perfectly good footpeg on the ground with half a bolt in it. That makes it easily repairable once I’m back home, but it certainly doesn’t help much at the time as the bike is unrideable for now. All I’m saying is I would’ve preferred an outcome more like what Woodcraft offers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

I agree the pegs are replaceable by design, but to me that means they should mean the overall rearset is structurally sound to survive a crash and still be functioning afterwards, with a deformed peg that is rideable but can be replaced later to make it new again. I don’t think this outcome counts as a designed failure.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
View attachment 8533
I agree the pegs are replaceable by design, but to me that means they should mean the overall rearset is structurally sound to survive a crash and still be functioning afterwards, with a deformed peg that is rideable but can be replaced later to make it new again. I don’t think this outcome counts as a designed failure.
Do you have a real close-up of that bolt? - be interesting to see any markings on the head etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Insect Automotive tire Road surface Finger Asphalt

Finger Automotive tire Nail Thumb Art

Automotive tire Font Automotive wheel system Rim Circle

A2 - 70 THE

Sounds like it’s an ok grade bolt but weaker than a 8.8 alloy steel bolt.

It seems like the peg spun as it hit the ground (as the tip is worn almost all the way around the knurled surface) and a piece broke off at the base (I suspect when the bolt broke and the peg was forced off the rearset mount), but the peg held up fine overall. If that bolt hadn’t snapped I’m sure the rearset would’ve been fine to keep riding on (I wasn’t thanks to my injuries but that’s not Gilles’ fault). So again, no issues with Gilles parts themselves, just the mounting hardware they included.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
A2-70 is fine for that use. An 8.8 would be overkill.
If the footrest did in fact spin, this MAY have loosened the bolt in which case tensile strength makes no difference.
If it loosened enough it could have chattered and this is worse for high tensile alloys than malleable ones.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Got it, that makes sense. I was using blue loctite for the bolt, but perhaps the impact of the bike slamming on its side from rather high up (it was caused by a tank slapper with the bike not leaned over very far) was too much direct force, vs. a low side from a steep lean angle when it’s more of a lateral sliding force.

Now I just need to find a U.S. distributor to sell me just one peg rather than a whole rearset. Does anyone know of one?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts