KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • Is it normal to hear high pitched whine from the fuel pump over the noise of the engine, while sitting at a light?
  • Has anybody tried to add a front preload adjuster, or possibly added some preload spacers? -
  • Cruise control doesn't always turn on. Anyone else have this?
  • The front brake pads seems a little rough on the rotors, but I'm guessing this will go away after the bed in fully
The first thing I did, as per other discussions, was to toss the stock chain. The bike was delivered with 6 miles, and there was already a huge wad of grease inside the sprocket cover. I can see how this would get messy. I installed a new DID, after degreasing with solvent. So there won't be any confusing oil leaks with melted grease.

I also changed out the bar mounts for a set with 15mm more rise, and installed them with the bars in the most forward position. The stock setting seemed a little awkward, a little low, and a little too close. For me, it seems a lot more comfortable, and natural now.

Overall, the bike is great! It steers well, and the motor is pretty impressive as well. It makes my Speed Twin feel like a truck, despite having similar power, weight, and geometry. The roads feel a good bit wider on the 890.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My CC has been flawless. I too would like preload adjustment. Would be awesome if I didn't have to totally take apart the forks but that looks unlikely.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My CC has been flawless. I too would like preload adjustment. Would be awesome if I didn't have to totally take apart the forks but that looks unlikely.
I wonder if adding preload spacers is easy, like WP open-chamber dirt bike forks? I'd like to get rid of that initial dive, when you touch the brakes. It does seem that the springs are maybe one rate too soft for me at 200 lbs. Rear seems OK

·
Registered
141 Posts
It would be awesome if that easy. I am bigger than you and experience what you are talking all too often. I cranked up the compression a bit to compromise but that hurts ride quality as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The first time i braked moderately hard to set up for the corner I was like "Hey where'd my front end go?!" lol! I went one click up in compression and it helped alot. Gonna get through the break in mileage and then seek out a suspension guru to help me fine tune

·
Registered
194 Posts
The first time i braked moderately hard to set up for the corner I was like "Hey where'd my front end go?!" lol! I went one click up in compression and it helped alot. Gonna get through the break in mileage and then seek out a suspension guru to help me fine tune
I highly recommend Dave Moss, he's a legend in the suspension field. We used to work together and helped get my bikes setup for 1-armed riding/racing. He even did a video interview with me after we initially got things sorted to get back on the track.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I highly recommend Dave Moss, he's a legend in the suspension field. We used to work together and helped get my bikes setup for 1-armed riding/racing. He even did a video interview with me after we initially got things sorted to get back on the track.

Ive known Dave for years up in the PNW. He set up my GSXR 1000 in 2018. He is likely my first call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.