KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Last Father's Day I took the 890R on a 14 hour day ride from Berkeley - Yosemite - lower Tahoe and back, I think it was 674 miles of beautiful backroads. This year I decided to add an overnight stay and head north instead. I delayed the trip until late July when both my kids were at camp and me being gone wouldn't be a problem. The goal was the same - can I tour on the 890R using almost exclusively 2 lane backroads and small highways. Turns out you can!

In preparation this year I added a Hepco Becker luggage plate to along with the PowerParts left side case. I prefer the HB version over the SW Motech because it's a bit taller - just enough so that the Givi V47 monokey case clears the side case lock mechanism. To the luggage plate I bolted a universal Givi monokey mounting plate using the pre-drilled holes in the luggage plate. It's a super slick setup as long as you're not riding with a passenger. I also love the Givi V47 - it can hold a complete commuting gear set when I get to the office, but for this trip I used it to carry tools, repair kit, change of clothes and such.

I left Berkeley around 5:30am and took the freeway to a coffeeshop in Fairfield for breakfast, and from there on it was almost nonstop twisties until 8pm at night! I'd mapped a more convoluted route than the links below show, but I had to backtrack 3 times cause the roads turns to gravel fire roads and I wasn't interested in trying my luck, and one time I had to aim for a gas station in a different direction or I definitely would've been stranded in the middle of nowhere without cell coverage. The big lesson gas wise from last year was - GAS UP EVERY TIME YOU PASS A STATION! The only time I didn't was if I'd gone less than 20 miles since the last one. It added a few minutes to stretch my legs and a measure of reassurance that I was giving myself maximum range in case things went pear shaped.

I stayed overnight in Shady Cove which is indeed very shady - I had 3 random people either walking or in cars give me the finger and tell me to F off just for walking past them on the sidewalk. I felt like I was gonna get jumped any second.

The next morning I left at 7am for Crater Lake, which is simply spectacular and a place you really should get to. From there I took the most complicated route I could find out to Avenue of the Giants (choose it over 101 as long as there's no traffic). My favorite stretch the whole trip was the insane twisties on Highway 3 and 36, it was pure joy on the 890.

To cap things off I decided to ride through the Chandelier redwood tree, where I promptly dropped the bike inside the tree while slipping on the gravel. D'oh! I guess crashing at 1mph isn't the worst thing to happen. I'd hoped to keep the backroads going, but by this time it was almost dark and my knees were pretty much locked in a perma bend, so I ran 101 a couple hours straight home. It's actually really nice up north, it's like a fast 2 lane highway, much better than the disaster south of San Francisco.

Scrubbing all the bugs off took a solid hour the next day! Looking back at the photos, my favorite random photo op was riding by just as the hot air balloons were taking off - it looks like I staged it to juxtapose the quiet serene balloon ride with the loud and rowdy Duke. :)

I think this is about as far as I want to go on the Duke. Roughly 700 miles each day, 23 hours of actual in-the-saddle riding time in a 38 hour window. I want to go for a weeklong ride next time, but I think I'm gonna need a 1290GT or Multistrada (or that upcoming Moto Guzzi V100 looks really interesting). I'd definitely like better wind protection, lower pegs, and a better seat. The cruise control I barely used, but the factory heated grips were amazing. And a bigger tank! I'd love to have a 200+ range of spirited riding without having to worry where the next station is. I might also spring for a Garmin or similar to get nav and gas station locations even in areas of no cell coverage. And ideally I would have someone to ride with, it's obviously safer (there was one stretch of 3 with no guardrails and 1000+ foot drop just off the edge of the road that were super scary). Somehow I'm having a hard time convincing my friends to put 1,500 miles on their bike in less than 2 days!

Too many photos to share - here's the link to Google Photos:
If anyone is interested, this is the route I took from Berkeley to Crater Lake:
1. Starbucks in Fairfield - Elk Creek, CA: Starbucks to Elk Creek
2. Elk Creek, CA - Shady Cove, OR: Elk Creek to Shady Cove
3. Shady Cove, OR - Crater Lake, OR - Chandelier Tree, CA: Shady Cove to Chandelier Tree Drive Thru
From there I would've loved to have done a combination of 20/1/128/253, but it was getting dark and I was pretty wiped, so I just took 101 home to Berkeley.

I love that the day after I popped the luggage plate off and uninstalled the side case rack (took 5 minutes in total), removed the passenger pegs (I don't know why I had them in the first place) and swapped out my rear wheel for my Power Cup 2 mounted one, and now it's ready for the track! It's a chameleon bike. :)

The one fly in the ointment is that I had a bad missed shift at high speed and immediately after I had a weird droning vibration at certain speeds and engine revs. I'm hoping it's just a problem with the chain (replacing it tomorrow). If it's a transmission issue I'm not sure what I'm doing next...

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for he write up. Yes, 3 and 36 are the best roads around for these bikes.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
260 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey all,

Last Father's Day I took the 890R on a 14 hour day ride from Berkeley - Yosemite - lower Tahoe and back, I think it was 674 miles of beautiful backroads. This year I decided to add an overnight stay and head north instead. I delayed the trip until late July when both my kids were at camp and me being gone wouldn't be a problem. The goal was the same - can I tour on the 890R using almost exclusively 2 lane backroads and small highways. Turns out you can!

In preparation this year I added a Hepco Becker luggage plate to along with the PowerParts left side case. I prefer the HB version over the SW Motech because it's a bit taller - just enough so that the Givi V47 monokey case clears the side case lock mechanism. To the luggage plate I bolted a universal Givi monokey mounting plate using the pre-drilled holes in the luggage plate. It's a super slick setup as long as you're not riding with a passenger. I also love the Givi V47 - it can hold a complete commuting gear set when I get to the office, but for this trip I used it to carry tools, repair kit, change of clothes and such.

I left Berkeley around 5:30am and took the freeway to a coffeeshop in Fairfield for breakfast, and from there on it was almost nonstop twisties until 8pm at night! I'd mapped a more convoluted route than the links below show, but I had to backtrack 3 times cause the roads turns to gravel fire roads and I wasn't interested in trying my luck, and one time I had to aim for a gas station in a different direction or I definitely would've been stranded in the middle of nowhere without cell coverage. The big lesson gas wise from last year was - GAS UP EVERY TIME YOU PASS A STATION! The only time I didn't was if I'd gone less than 20 miles since the last one. It added a few minutes to stretch my legs and a measure of reassurance that I was giving myself maximum range in case things went pear shaped.

I stayed overnight in Shady Cove which is indeed very shady - I had 3 random people either walking or in cars give me the finger and tell me to F off just for walking past them on the sidewalk. I felt like I was gonna get jumped any second.

The next morning I left at 7am for Crater Lake, which is simply spectacular and a place you really should get to. From there I took the most complicated route I could find out to Avenue of the Giants (choose it over 101 as long as there's no traffic). My favorite stretch the whole trip was the insane twisties on Highway 3 and 36, it was pure joy on the 890.

To cap things off I decided to ride through the Chandelier redwood tree, where I promptly dropped the bike inside the tree while slipping on the gravel. D'oh! I guess crashing at 1mph isn't the worst thing to happen. I'd hoped to keep the backroads going, but by this time it was almost dark and my knees were pretty much locked in a perma bend, so I ran 101 a couple hours straight home. It's actually really nice up north, it's like a fast 2 lane highway, much better than the disaster south of San Francisco.

Scrubbing all the bugs off took a solid hour the next day! Looking back at the photos, my favorite random photo op was riding by just as the hot air balloons were taking off - it looks like I staged it to juxtapose the quiet serene balloon ride with the loud and rowdy Duke. :)

I think this is about as far as I want to go on the Duke. Roughly 700 miles each day, 23 hours of actual in-the-saddle riding time in a 38 hour window. I want to go for a weeklong ride next time, but I think I'm gonna need a 1290GT or Multistrada (or that upcoming Moto Guzzi V100 looks really interesting). I'd definitely like better wind protection, lower pegs, and a better seat. The cruise control I barely used, but the factory heated grips were amazing. And a bigger tank! I'd love to have a 200+ range of spirited riding without having to worry where the next station is. I might also spring for a Garmin or similar to get nav and gas station locations even in areas of no cell coverage. And ideally I would have someone to ride with, it's obviously safer (there was one stretch of 3 with no guardrails and 1000+ foot drop just off the edge of the road that were super scary). Somehow I'm having a hard time convincing my friends to put 1,500 miles on their bike in less than 2 days!

Too many photos to share - here's the link to Google Photos:
If anyone is interested, this is the route I took from Berkeley to Crater Lake:
1. Starbucks in Fairfield - Elk Creek, CA: Starbucks to Elk Creek
2. Elk Creek, CA - Shady Cove, OR: Elk Creek to Shady Cove
3. Shady Cove, OR - Crater Lake, OR - Chandelier Tree, CA: Shady Cove to Chandelier Tree Drive Thru
From there I would've loved to have done a combination of 20/1/128/253, but it was getting dark and I was pretty wiped, so I just took 101 home to Berkeley.

I love that the day after I popped the luggage plate off and uninstalled the side case rack (took 5 minutes in total), removed the passenger pegs (I don't know why I had them in the first place) and swapped out my rear wheel for my Power Cup 2 mounted one, and now it's ready for the track! It's a chameleon bike. :)

The one fly in the ointment is that I had a bad missed shift at high speed and immediately after I had a weird droning vibration at certain speeds and engine revs. I'm hoping it's just a problem with the chain (replacing it tomorrow). If it's a transmission issue I'm not sure what I'm doing next...

View attachment 9561
Looks good, nice trip! I’ve been using Harbor Freight water tight camera-type boxes on different bikes, drz400SM & BMW r1200rs. Now on the 790 Duke, I have the 2500 model attached to my passenger bar rear loop with 3 unbolts it’s very secure using the Ubolt plate and wide nuts inside the box. This is enough to carry my rain suit, straps, odd tools and fit glasses & gloves at stops. On the other bikes I used two sizes of boxes, 2500 & 3500, in three positions, BMW using factory brackets, drz using a purchased rack. I could mix differs size boxes as well, mounted left, right and rear. I’m pretty sure I can fit the 3500 size box on the 790 but haven’t bothered to try it yet. I don’t like riding with an empty backpack so I pack that into a stuff sack and strap it on the passenger seat. The 3500 would accommodate the backpack with everything else. I think with a little homemade bracketry I could put either box on the left side using the hand grab bolts, longer bolts. The HB camera boxes are very sturdy, cheap and easy to fool around with Ubolts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts