KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Picked up mine yesterday, bike number 54, Brisbane Australia. How does it go well it has Exceeded my expectations what a great all rounder, I have ridden a few 790's & they dont go like this 890, I said to myself yip I can live with this one, looking forward to see how the tuning goes, a little surgy at part throttles but not annoying & boy does it pull from everywhere I am comparing the 890 to to my MT09SP fully mapped. I am 6 foot 2 & fit this bike better for my height & weight then the MT09SP.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Picked up mine yesterday, bike number 54, Brisbane Australia. How does it go well it has Exceeded my expectations what a great all rounder, I have ridden a few 790's & they dont go like this 890, I said to myself yip I can live with this one, looking forward to see how the tuning goes, a little surgy at part throttles but not annoying & boy does it pull from everywhere I am comparing the 890 to to my MT09SP fully mapped. I am 6 foot 2 & fit this bike better then the 09SP.
View attachment 4727
I traded in an MT-09 for the 890 Duke.

Do you find the 890 is faster acceleration? My MT-09 felt faster to me, but had no soul... Plus the suspension was awful and too bouncy.

The 890 on the other hand, while not nearly as fast as my Ducati V4s, does have a very similar feeling while cornering. They both feel very sure and confidence inspiring. Amazing.

My MT-09, by comparison, felt sloppy and all over the place.

Over all no regrets on the trade, but I'd like to hear another person's perspective on the comparison between the two bikes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I traded in an MT-09 for the 890 Duke.

Do you find the 890 is faster acceleration? My MT-09 felt faster to me, but had no soul... Plus the suspension was awful and too bouncy.

The 890 on the other hand, while not nearly as fast as my Ducati V4s, does have a very similar feeling while cornering. They both feel very sure and confidence inspiring. Amazing.

My MT-09, by comparison, felt sloppy and all over the place.

Over all no regrets on the trade, but I'd like to hear another person's perspective on the comparison between the two bikes.
I have had 4 x MT09's 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 09SP, the 2014/16 had Andreani & ZXR rear shock 17 model had Matris front & rear shock, 2018 SP Ohlin's & YKD fully adjustable front suspension & none of them have come close to this 890. I built all my own custom Flash ECU maps for the 09's & yes the MT09 will out HP this bike but the 890 will be quicker to ride with great spread of torque, reduced weight & far better suspension. I chose this 890 over the MT10 same price, I have mapped many 10's & they to heavy & drink fuel, my main reason I have targeted these mid weight bikes over the past 10 years is all the fun at half the speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep
Check out Koso Apollo Heated Grips. That's what I'm installing on my 890 and have on other bikes. The controller is integrated into the left grip. 5 levels of heat. And cheaper than KTM's.
Yep - I've installed those on my last 2 naked bikes.

Cleanest heated grips I've found this far..

Only thing they are missing is a relay to power off with ignition. (I picked up a couple of relays on Amazon to do it right this time)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep

Yep - I've installed those on my last 2 naked bikes.

Cleanest heated grips I've found this far..

Only thing they are missing is a relay to power off with ignition. (I picked up a couple of relays on Amazon to do it right this time)
No need for the relay if you use ACC 2 supply behind the headlight. Powered only with ignition on and protected by a 15 A fuse. ACC 1 (10A) right next to it is always powered. I installed the Koso Apollo today. The left Grip comes off after loosening a T15 screw. The rubber grip over the throttle tube takes some elbow grease to remove as it’s glued/molded onto the tube and you have to also slice off some plastic anti-slip ridges on the tube as well. After, the throttle side Koso slips on nice and snug.

If you go on the KTM website and pull up the Heated Grip accessory page for the 790/890, you can download the install instructions which has the steps required to get to the power.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Each bike comes with it's own manual pouch. It's not like the dealer orders them in bulk and gives them out randomly. I am willing to bet you are wrong on that one.
I work at a dealership, this is exactly what we do. We bulk order the folders and put the manual and service books inside them.
The bikes themselves come in wooden or metal crates that you have to pull apart, and there's a plastic bag floating inside with the manual. Service books are bulk ordered separately as they're not model specific.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Each bike comes with it's own manual pouch. It's not like the dealer orders them in bulk and gives them out randomly. I am willing to bet you are wrong on that one.
Should have mentioned too we have a sister dealership 2 hours away that sell KTM/Kawasaki/Honda

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks, was hoping it was possible to avoid the extra controller.
Our KTM dealer have told me that you can apparently avoid this, however the grips are on backorder in Australia. They said that you can install the grips that go on the 1290 adventure and activate them through the menu. Yet to see if this works...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Our KTM dealer have told me that you can apparently avoid this, however the grips are on backorder in Australia. They said that you can install the grips that go on the 1290 adventure and activate them through the menu. Yet to see if this works...
Been there. Done that.. It doesn't work even though it should. Also, the 790 Heated grips are the SAME as the 1290 grips except it comes with an additional plug in controller. So, to make the 790 Grips 1290 grips, you just leave the controller out and plug directly in to the harness behind the headlight. This SHOULD work if KTM had their **** together. But it doesn't.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Been there. Done that.. It doesn't work even though it should. Also, the 790 Heated grips are the SAME as the 1290 grips except it comes with an additional plug in controller. So, to make the 790 Grips 1290 grips, you just leave the controller out and plug directly in to the harness behind the headlight. This SHOULD work if KTM had their **** together. But it doesn't.
Hmmm.. you have a 790? The dealer told me they weren't compatible with 790 but they were with the 890... Not sure if I should bite the bullet and give it a try, very expensive mistake if it doesn't work.. I refuse to fit the controller hahahaha

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Hmmm.. you have a 790? The dealer told me they weren't compatible with 790 but they were with the 890... Not sure if I should bite the bullet and give it a try, very expensive mistake if it doesn't work.. I refuse to fit the controller hahahaha
I own both A790 and 890 at the same time and my dealer gave me the heated grips for the 790 and 1290 at the same time period I promise you I'll know more about the crips than your dealer.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts