KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my Nitron shock and attended my 1st track day of the year on my 790. Met up with a guy that was pitted 2 spots down from me that
had an 890. We were the only orange out there. I told him I would try and get some GoPro video, while trying to keep up from behind and the result is the Youtube vid below. Sorry about the wind noise and quality, but I am a Gopro rookie. Be kind.

His was stock, with the exception of an Akra can, I believe. Mine is modded with the major bits being a decat and ChiCom can, PCV mapped by Rotty, Andreani, Nitron, HH pads and Brembo M/C. He was running the stock Mich with warmers and I was on S22 at 30F 28R cold. (Thanks Young Lion) Rear wear pic below.

It was our 2nd session of the day. I waited a couple laps to get some heat in the tires and got by him on a corner exit (T12) under power, We were both older gents and had a blast out there. We weren't the fastest, but definitely not the slowest, in our group. He was a former racer, as am I, so it was a pretty even match. Highest indicated speed in a later session, for me anyway, was 123 and that was 5th gear topped out with a 15T front sprocket. No room to get 6th. Some serious braking commenced right after..

2.1 mile track with 15 turns. They call it the Autobahn Country Club, just SW of Chicago in Joliet, IL. Instead of golf, it's 2 race tracks, that can
be combined into 1 that's 3.5 miles, and a kart track. You can join, build or rent a garage on the property to store your toys, and go and hot lap whenever you get the urge.
Lot's of exotic, high dollar street cars and race cars on the property. No way I could ever afford to join, but it's a cool concept I was there for the day with Sport Bike Track Time,
(Track layout below)

I am very happy with the way it handled, considering the track had some rough patches. My 1st time on the track with the Bridgestones and they stuck very well.
He could pull me on the straight sections, but not by that much, so also satisfied with the power mods. Brakes were fantastic, lots of stopping power and feel.

Mine weighed in at 370 lbs, after converting it to track set up, with 1/2 tank of fuel.

Next track day is scheduled for labor day. Can't wait!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I do think he was pulling you more on the straights than you think, which is understandable. Your exit speeds were typically higher than his but he would then gap you quite a bit by the end of the longer straights. Where it seemed a pretty even roll start looks to be about 2:28 in. There is no doubt that even given your HP deficit, you'd probably lap 3-4 seconds quicker than him at your current pace.

I really enjoyed the vid! No tracks open near me anywhere close so fun to live vicariously for a bit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I do think he was pulling you more on the straights than you think, which is understandable. Your exit speeds were typically higher than his but he would then gap you quite a bit by the end of the longer straights. Where it seemed a pretty even roll start looks to be about 2:28 in. There is no doubt that even given your HP deficit, you'd probably lap 3-4 seconds quicker than him at your current pace.

I really enjoyed the vid! No tracks open near me anywhere close so fun to live vicariously for a bit.
Its almost impossible to establish the why he was pulling on you - typically the lead bike will be on the brakes and on the gas a millisecond before you which puts him a few bikes lengths ahead - so much is about the rider and not the bike - overall though its a great video. I definitely appreciate the introduction - if you want to know more about the 890 read Kevin Cameron's article in Cycle World - its very detailed - the hp and torque differentials are relatively small considering the displacement differential

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks, I've read Cameron's article, quite informative. Also tells me there is potentially more power that can be unlocked from the 890 if someone were to do the cam work needed. Maybe just degreeing them could help but if the gains were enough, I'd invest in new cams. I am pretty happy that the bump in displacement got even a pretty close to corresponding bump in power. So often that isn't the case. Consider likely dealing with tighter emission controls, it is even more appreciated.

For the vid, the OPs bike is pretty modded 790 compared to a pretty stock 890 from a motor/intake/exhaust perspective. It looks like the 890 is still gapping the 790. It isn't as if the 890 has an initial gap and it is maintained, it looks like the 890 continues to pull the 790. More fun to watch bikes you own on the track than something you'll never ride. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From reading Cameron's article, it seems they did the redesign to meet Euro 5 standards primarily and getting the bump in HP and torque was a bonus. They must have some pretty savvy
design engineers to pull that off. I ran that same track on my modded '13 690 Duke a couple years ago and although that bike was lighter and could brake a bit better, this 790 was way more fun
overall. I got pulled by everything on the single, but this time I could stay with some folks and overtake on occasion. Handling was similar.

I think the guy on the 890 was a little tentative at first, but when I went by him and he then followed me, he gained some confidence and upped his pace. When we got back to the pits, he came over and was very excited, saying that he was glad I showed him my lines and pushed him a bit. "The most fun I've had on track in quite a while!" were his exact words. It was a great day as I feel I helped out a fellow rider, who just so happened to be riding on my favorite color bike and I had a blast as well.

So If you're thinking of a track day, do it. I turned 69 on Aug 1, the date of the track day, and it was a birthday present to myself. I may get too old someday, but not today...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was experimenting with different modes and having the exhaust restrictor installed or not. With the decat and DB killer out, it was god-awful loud and my butt dyno couldn't tell
much of a difference. The best combo was track mode and a "modified" restrictor in. I can ride it on the street like that as well, if I choose. I'm getting more used to the direct throttle
response now in track mode, so it's all good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.