KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to run a softer front and harder rear for better mileage. I do commute to work.

I'm looking at the Bridgestone S22 for the front and T31 for the rear. I like to stay with the same tire manufacture.

I've currently running the Michelin RS front and Road 4 on the rear. I love the RS and the roads have been very good. But the RS seems to be wearing faster than I expected.

Opinions?

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
217 Posts
I have been running S-21's and S-22's on the last 3 bikes with great results. I average 3500 to 4000 miles out of a set.

Besides being a great tire they are one of the most affordable. I just got a set from Rocky Mountain ATV to my door for $235. A premium brand will cost you almost that much for just a rear tire.

No brainer in my book.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like to run a softer front and harder rear for better mileage. I do commute to work.

I'm looking at the Bridgestone S22 for the front and T31 for the rear. I like to stay with the same tire manufacture.

I've currently running the Michelin RS front and Road 4 on the rear. I love the RS and the roads have been very good. But the RS seems to be wearing faster than I expected.

Opinions?
oops I've currently running the Michelin RS front and Road 4 on the rear of my SV650. I have not gotten my 890 yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been running S-21's and S-22's on the last 3 bikes with great results. I average 3500 to 4000 miles out of a set.

Besides being a great tire they are one of the most affordable. I just got a set from Rocky Mountain ATV to my door for $235. A premium brand will cost you almost that much for just a rear tire.

No brainer in my book.
3500 to 4000 miles on the rear? What about the front?

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
217 Posts
Anyone running a mixed front and rear?
On my FZ09 I used to run a Pilot Power on the front (soft compound) and a Pilot Road 3 (dual compound) on the rear.

It worked well having a softer front and a harder rear center. This way they would both wear out about the same time.

·
a d m i n .
151,015 Posts
I only ride wt a matched set, figure the heat cycles are the same at the end of the day..

Just taking a set of Mich RS’s off my CBR SP, 4800 miles, most all of that were hard & twisty backroads.
Mich RS’s were replaced wt the Power 5’s, which should last a bit longer. Thankfully I have another set of RS’s ready to slap on, and Power Cup 2’s for TD’s come spring.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
217 Posts
I ran a couple of sets of the 9RR's predecessor the 7RR. It was a very nice tire but mileage was not what I had hoped for. They were good for about 2500 miles.

Then I switched to the Bridgestone S-21 and then the S-22. The first thing I noticed was the Bridgestone's had a better turn in and a more precise handling feel. Also less sidewall flex and squirmy feel than the M7's.

Mileage wise the S-22 left the M7RR's in the dust, getting around 4000 miles out of a set.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I don't like mixing tyres of different types because of differing profiles potentially affecting the handling. The sort of rubber you choose will very much depend on how you ride and the weather you ride in. After ditching the OEM Maxxis at around 3000 km because of poor grip in cold wet weather, I went for T31 sport touring tyres as I ride in all weathers and temperatures. They gripped well but the front tyre lost its profile very quickly from 6000 km. The same thing happened to a couple of friends with different bikes. I then fitted Road 5's and they have been outstanding in all conditions. The soft compound outer edges really grip when cranked over. I'm now up to 7000 km on them and they've retained their profile very well. They have a higher crown than the T31's and consequently, turn-in is a little faster. The grip of most major brand tyres exceed the talent of the average road rider. It's just a question of end use and the "feel" they give to the individual rider. Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I set out to Italy in the autumn, I swapped to Rosso 3, as I have really good experience with them on sporty-ish road use. After 9000 km (out of which a considerable portion on highway), and some burnouts they still have some life left, maybe a thou at max.
I intend to keep using PC2 on normal joyrides, as well as PR2 rear for stunt practice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts