KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
679 Posts
Interesting the the R version are 1 and not 2 years warranty. Goes to a point that was made here before that if you take a pretty advanced engine and push an additional 20% out of it, you might be looking at lower reliability in the long run.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My dealer contacted me as well. He said the factory might have put 10w60 in by mistake and they will do the oil change for free. I am going to do an oil analysis just to satisfy my curiosity.
Are there any additional confirmations from the group on this specific point? My dealer re-filled my bike with 10W60 because he didn't have anything else on hand. Was this a regional or seasonal concern? A break-in concern? The owners manual spec oil is 10W50.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yikes - that ain't pretty.
One of Coober's pics...

I guess, ideally, this would have happened at the 13th month.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the issue is oil of the incorrect viscosity rating (ie, 10W-60 vs 10W-50) filled at the initial fill, what's the problem, especially if the "correct" viscosity oil is filled at the 1000KM/600mile break-in service? BFD.

Now, if they filled it with sewing machine oil, then I might lose a little sleep.

In my younger years I used to agonize at bit about things like this. Now, it's highly more likely that "my" motor will fail than my new 890's. One of the many blessings of old age.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good perspective, wallycycle. I would usually be more sanguine but why did KTM care enough to start this process? Manufacturers often give this kind of thing the slow roll...

·
Registered
31 Posts
FYI - the CAN and US site seems to be working now with my VIN, so far so good, as well the dealer did not see anything.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
540 Posts
FYI - the CAN and US site seems to be working now with my VIN, so far so good, as well the dealer did not see anything.
I tried on the Canadian site and it still says "The entered VIN is not found" - damn...

·
Registered
2018 KTM Duke 790
13 Posts
Standard warranty on the 890R is 12 months not 24 - unless Europe is different than North America?

Can others please confirm from around the globe - SA, Aus/NZ, Asia, India, etc ???
In EU the warranty always there're 24 months and you can choose to extend 24 more, knowing KTM, is almost an obligation.

·
Registered
171 Posts
How are extended warranties in EU? Over here they're basically a scam.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How are extended warranties in EU? Over here they're basically a scam.
They don’t cover consumables and you have to stick to dealer servicing and their schedule, but with the 890s reputation for reliability I will definitely be extending mine to 6 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
what are the costs? @jaydeeCDN
I've yet to speak with the broker after receiving the quote - and haven't really dove into what the coverage entails (for this broker specifically), HOWEVER from what I've seen in the glaze-over is it's going to cost approximately $1750 CDN for 5 years coverage.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
In EU the warranty always there're 24 months and you can choose to extend 24 more, knowing KTM, is almost an obligation.
I knew the 24 months (that's a pan EU legal requirement on ALL consumer goods) - Afterwards I thought is was renewable yearly if you have a dealer service done. And tbh - with my dealer pricing so far, I will probably have them do it anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
RECALL CONFIRMED. Just got back from the dealer and they didn’t know about it yet but I had them run my VIN to check.

KTM will warranty the oil change as long as it’s on or before the first service at 620 miles. Mine is at 550 miles so they are taking care of it.

Signed up for this forum just to tell you that, might stay and poke around.

64 YDS7
83 Z50
94 VFR750
KX 85 (MiniMoto)
KX 110 (MiniMoto)
2020 Duke 890R

·
a d m i n .
151,084 Posts
RECALL CONFIRMED. Just got back from the dealer and they didn’t know about it yet but I had them run my VIN to check.

KTM will warranty the oil change as long as it’s on or before the first service at 620 miles. Mine is at 550 miles so they are taking care of it.

Signed up for this forum just to tell you that, might stay and poke around.

64 YDS7
83 Z50
94 VFR750
KX 85 (MiniMoto)
KX 110 (MiniMoto)
2020 Duke 890R
Welcome! Strong first post... :LOL:

·
Registered
'20 890R
19 Posts
My bike was one of the first ones (was supposed to pick it up on July 7th) that got the mandatory oil change (at the dealer) before KTM would "unlock" the bike. I've checked my bike with the "Service & Safety Check" at KTMs website, and my bike comes out as clear: "No recalls / safety warnings for your VBK number"

I signed all the paperwork on Friday July 3rd and the dealer said that KTM needed to fix all the administrative work regarding ownership, the electronic safety features and what not. Since it was late afternoon (GMT+1) KTM was closed and the dealer said that it would be ready for me on Tuesday July 7th. When I arrived on Tuesday, the dealer noticed that KTM had not unlocked my bike yet. They called KTMs head office and was told that "Oh, you haven't done the required oil change. You need to change the oil and send proof with a photo containing the new oil and the vin-number before we can unlock it". Since it was late afternoon the people doing the unlocking at KTM had gone home for the day, but they would unlock it first thing in the morning Wednesday provided the dealer had changed the oil. They had my oil changed right away and KTM finally unlocked my bike Wednesday morning.

This means that bikes bought after Monday July 6th SHOULD be "safe" and aren't included in the recall. Do we have any purchase dates from people who are included in the recall?

I'm dropping my bike of for the 1000km service tomorrow morning, I'll talk to my dealer and see what they know about it. It didn't look very good on Coobers facebook group.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts