KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update
Got a call from my dealer this morning - he asked me to bring the bike in for an oil and filter change as soon as possible. I asked for background but he said that the technician should be able to explain at the time of service.

·
Registered
'20 890R
19 Posts
Update
Got a call from my dealer this morning - he asked me to bring the bike in for an oil and filter change as soon as possible. I asked for background but he said that the technician should be able to explain at the time of service.
Strange! Is your bike "new", or have you already done your 1000 km service? When did you buy it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Took my bike to the dealer this morning. They changed the oil and filter (screens). The lead technician said that KTM's "TI" was not very specific and simply asked that dealers change the oil as soon as possible. The background seemed to be that oil of the incorrect viscosity may have been put in the bikes when new.
The dealer's advice was that I should still bring the bike back at 1000 kms for the first service and the oil would be changed again.

The lack of specific information directed at the customer makes KTM look squirrelly and shabby in the way that they handled this. I would be interested in the following;
  • What is the potential effect of the wrong oil?
  • At what mileage is it OK to remove the oil that still contains break-in additives?
  • Since some bikes are still in break-in, should the oil change have included replacement additives?
  • Will KTM extend the engine warranty for those affected by this?

·
Registered
'20 890R
19 Posts
Took my bike to the dealer this morning. They changed the oil and filter (screens). The lead technician said that KTM's "TI" was not very specific and simply asked that dealers change the oil as soon as possible. The background seemed to be that oil of the incorrect viscosity may have been put in the bikes when new.
The dealer's advice was that I should still bring the bike back at 1000 kms for the first service and the oil would be changed again.

The lack of specific information directed at the customer makes KTM look squirrelly and shabby in the way that they handled this. I would be interested in the following;
  • At what mileage is it OK to remove the oil that still contains break-in additives?
  • Since some bikes are still in break-in, should the oil change have included replacement additives?
Talked to my dealer this morning, they said the same thing. KTM are worried they put the wrong oil in at the factory. Fortunately this came out on the day I was supposed to pick my bike up, so KTM hadn't unlocked it yet.

Not sure about extended warranty, but I'm sure that any problems would/will be seen within the first two years and be covered ny the standard warranty.

Can you feel any difference with the new, correct oil?

·
a d m i n .
151,084 Posts
FYI: KTM doesn't offer an extended factory warranty, here in the USA.

Excellent talking points!

·
Registered
'20 890R
42 Posts
Talked to my dealer this morning, they said the same thing. KTM are worried they put the wrong oil in at the factory. Fortunately this came out on the day I was supposed to pick my bike up, so KTM hadn't unlocked it yet.

Not sure about extended warranty, but I'm sure that any problems would/will be seen within the first two years and be covered ny the standard warranty.

Maybe this is what Coober's findings about oil level on post Covid-19 890's indicates?

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
540 Posts

Standard warranty on the 890R is 12 months not 24 - unless Europe is different than North America?

Can others please confirm from around the globe - SA, Aus/NZ, Asia, India, etc ???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Guys,
In response to various questions;
  • Bike feels the same after the service
  • Warranty in South Africa is 12 months
  • My oil was already quite dark at only 460 kms but that may be normal because of additives, debris, etc.
  • My oil level from new until today was normal - was not delivered with low oil
I think the best move for customer goodwill on this premium priced product would be to extend the warranty on the engine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can confirm this as well. I was supposed to get my bike this last Tuesday, but when I came to the dealer, KTM had "locked" my bikes software. The dealer called them wanting to know why, and got the answer that the bike needed an oil change and proof of the oil change with the vin# in a picture. So I didn't get to pick my bike up that day (this was late afternoon).

The dealer had no idea about the required oil change, this was the first 890 that needed this. KTM haven't released any info yet, which is why my dealer had no clue and my bike got delayed.
Very smart way for the factory to ensure it's done! I guess it was a different team who completely missed my non working steering lock lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
My dealer contacted me as well. He said the factory might have put 10w60 in by mistake and they will do the oil change for free. I am going to do an oil analysis just to satisfy my curiosity.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
540 Posts
They cut the warranty in half for the 890R? That's not exactly confidence inspiring.
Here in Canada:

• any non R bike is 2 years
  • R bikes are 1 year (except for some reason the 790ADV R which is 2 years.
Makes no sense to me - top spec bike gets half the warranty coverage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think you all are overthinking this entire thing. Once your bike is delivered it’s entered in KTM’s system. Everything that is done by the dealer is entered into the system. EVERYTHING! You don’t need any paper copies of anything fir the dealer to know your bike. If you have your bike serviced at any KTM dealer anywhere in the world it’ll show on their system. The dealer won’t do anything without first plugging the bike into the software.

Relax. If there’s an issue with oil or anything else either you bring it to the dealer or wait for him to contact you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice subtle cast. Let's see if you get any bites.
I call BS in this. If your owners manual says Motorex “ recommenced “ like mine I doubt you’re going hear Motul is superior. As one dealer told me Ive never seen an engine fail that had oil in it.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts