KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Cry Baby
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumors flying around several German language FB and Forum groups that KTM started notifying dealers today of a recall for the 890. Apparently, KTM filled engines with the wrong oil, causing numerous engine failures. This was apparently discovered by Coober EU and reported to KTM.

I have no further details.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Coober-(the HQ in Austria) does most of the warranty engine tear down and analysis (esp the oil) for KTM and increasingly (I have heard) for BMW. The 890 seems to be tougher on oil, Sort of glad I stuck with the 790 now. - An 890 or 990 (Bitte Herr Trunkenpolz) ADV L8c motor might sway me though.

·
Cry Baby
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if the "wrong oil" story is true, my bike is way past that (changed it at about 700 miles and currently had 3300 miles). Question is, what if any damage was done to the engine during those 700 miles... is it waiting to bite me?

Of course we have no details yet. Don't know how many engines are affected, and in what markets. Maybe just a Euro problem. I do remember mine was a little over full when I took delivery. It's been at 1/2 way up the sight glass since I changed it (Castrol Power 1 10w50 full synthetic).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hard for me to believe that a "wrong" engine oil can cause engine failures, especially at low mileage/hours for a new bike. Aren't all KTMs running Motorex oil ex factory? Anyway, I'm a skeptical old geezer that hates Facebook/Forum bullshit that ignores common sense.

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat my hat or fall on my sword.

·
Cry Baby
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can't get a straight answer from KTM about anything, and same goes for Coober.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My friend just picked up a US 890 with a vin above 430, and the dealer changed the factory oil before they let him take the bike. That tells me that there is internal knowledge of an oil issue.

·
Registered
'20 890R
42 Posts
Rumors flying around several German language FB and Forum groups that KTM started notifying dealers today of a recall for the 890. Apparently, KTM filled engines with the wrong oil, causing numerous engine failures. This was apparently discovered by Coober EU and reported to KTM.

I have no further details.
Any links you want to share with us?

If KTM has actually issued a recall you should be able to check here: Service & Safety Check

·
Registered
'20 890R
19 Posts
My friend just picked up a US 890 with a vin above 430, and the dealer changed the factory oil before they let him take the bike. That tells me that there is internal knowledge of an oil issue.
I can confirm this as well. I was supposed to get my bike this last Tuesday, but when I came to the dealer, KTM had "locked" my bikes software. The dealer called them wanting to know why, and got the answer that the bike needed an oil change and proof of the oil change with the vin# in a picture. So I didn't get to pick my bike up that day (this was late afternoon).

The dealer had no idea about the required oil change, this was the first 890 that needed this. KTM haven't released any info yet, which is why my dealer had no clue and my bike got delayed.

·
Registered
'20 890R
42 Posts
I can confirm this as well. I was supposed to get my bike this last Tuesday, but when I came to the dealer, KTM had "locked" my bikes software. The dealer called them wanting to know why, and got the answer that the bike needed an oil change and proof of the oil change with the vin# in a picture. So I didn't get to pick my bike up that day (this was late afternoon).

The dealer had no idea about the required oil change, this was the first 890 that needed this. KTM haven't released any info yet, which is why my dealer had no clue and my bike got delayed.
Maybe this is related to Coober's findings about many 890's produced/delivered post Covid-19 factory shutdown being low on oil from factory?

·
Registered
'20 890R
42 Posts
Might be. My dealer had no clue, KTM wouldn't tell them the reason other than it had to be done.
Strange. But at least they are making shure that dealers can't deliver bikes without changing the oil.

I've had mine since march (pre covid bike) and haven't had any real issues.

·
Cry Baby
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if that is why my bike was overfilled upon delivery? Sloppy dealer oil change?

·
Cry Baby
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went to the KTM USA site to check my VIN and no Delivery Certificate Number is asked for there. But it rejected my VIN as invalid even though I have checked it there before successfully.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went to the KTM USA site to check my VIN and no Delivery Certificate Number is asked for there. But it rejected my VIN as invalid even though I have checked it there before successfully.
can you share a link to that site? i can only see the international one asking for the delivery cert. don’t know where to find that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My delivery certificate came with all the other documents. It is effectively the bikes checklist of things required by the dealer before delivery. It also has the engine #, etc. I am curious about comparing vin #'s to engine #'s. Should we start a thread for that too?

Reactions: s3lekta
1 - 20 of 77 Posts