KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A post ride inspection revealed a drop of coolant on my floor and a bunch on the oil cooler. Closer inspection revealed a leak near the water connection on the head.

The KTM dealer is booked until summertime so I'm on my own on this one gentlemen...
Easy fix: tighten/replace the hose clamp
Hard fix: Purchase #18 "Water connection" KTM 63535019100. From the fiche it does not appear that there is a separate gasket between the aluminum head and connection (I am assuming it's built in).

·
Registered
228 Posts
The hoses are tragically bad and leak through the layers, I went through 4 sets before giving up and buying Samco hoses. Tighten that clamp a bit, but don't overdo it as the plastic thermostat housing will crush. Some people have had their housings leak, but most have been hoses. Easy to tighten it a bit and see what happens. :)

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Rick.

I just ordered the hose kit from motowheels.com.... got charged $20 for USPS flat rate priority on the $90 hoses. I feel the same way about silicone hoses as I do the expensive $30 countershaft seal I purchased. If I never see another (coolant hose) leak again, it will be worth the cost many times over.

I'm taking off the tank this week to mess with a Magura clutch, I will have a chance to inspect the hose and clamp near the thermostat port.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the exact same coolant leak on my 890 R. Got rid of that terrible hose clamp and replaced it with a marine grade layered hose clamp. They are completely smooth to not tear the hose and have a wider band to created more clampable surface area. No leaks since.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had the exact same coolant leak on my 890 R. Got rid of that terrible hose clamp and replaced it with a marine grade layered hose clamp. They are completely smooth to not tear the hose and have a wider band to created more clampable surface area. No leaks since.
Can we see a picture of that and your source?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I work as an engineer at a boat factory so I was able to use a clamp that we stock. Link below is to a very similar clamp from Mcmaster-Carr that is intended for soft hoses. These are the type of clamps we run on all cooling, fuel, and ballast systems.

This matches factory clamp size range and has an extended tail acts as a liner to protect soft hose and tube, such as silicone, from being cut by the slots in the band

This style of clamp may be better, as it offers 360 degree seal by tightening from both sides and has rolled edges. However, the OD of the coolant hose would need to be measured ensure the correct clamp size is chosen. This style of clamp has a smaller range in diameter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My bike had the same leak. My dealer replaced the Water Connection (#18 in the parts photo above), the thermostat Housing. Maybe a month later, it started to leak again in the same place. This time the dealer got a new version of the Water Connection from KTM. He showed it to me. The base is .5mm's thicker compared to the original one. It's been a few months now, and so far, no leaks. If your bike has this leak, tell your dealer there's a new water connection that fixes this issue.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got lucky... straightened it out (you can see how it was installed cock-eyed in the pic with the old clean rubber line) and tightened it down, just over 100 miles down and not a drop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That hose looks damaged. Can see where coolant leaked through the fiber. Probably has internal damage from previous over tightening. Moving the clamp foreward has stopped it leaking externally but will still leak internally to outer rubber and possibly let go. Hose is designed with two layers and fiber in-between to withstand pressure. I would recommend replace.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Samco hoses are on a 6 week delay from the UK... hopefully it holds until then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts