KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Got a question.

I’m currently trying to secure an 890 with my local KTM dealer but I have a few questions I’d like to ask before I actually pull the trigger when one finally arrives. I won’t have the opportunity to ride on one, let alone sit on one, as dealerships here in Canada are closed due to Covid. Pick-up and curbside delivery only.

As for me, I’m a noob as I haven’t ridden a motorbike in about 15 years. I’ve had five previous bikes, last being an R1. I had an R6 before that and another R6 before that (which I wrote off). My first sportbike was a CBR 600 and had an RM-80 when I was a kid. I also did several track-days on my 6’s.

I guess I’ll just get to the point. Based on my riding experience and never having ridden a naked, do you think the 890R will be enough bike for me, power-wise? I’m quite sure I’m done with race bikes as I’m older now and want something more comfortable, yet I still want something that’s agile and has lots of torque. The raised handlebars and upright seating position look attractive but knowing me I’ll definitely want to want to lay this bike down and drag my knees when given the opportunity.

Will the 890 be a nice compromise between race bike and comfort? I'll be buying this bike without ever seeing or riding it so that is why I am asking. Any comments from riders with similar backgrounds would esp be appreciated. I'll also be riding this bike all summer until I find a suitable car, so any reviews on the Michelin Power Cup 2 tyres are welcome.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
431 Posts
1. Welcome to the site!
2. Your profile say you are in the US but your post says you are buying from a Canadian dealer? Where are you exactly?
3. Yes - the 890 is everything you hope it will be and then some.
4. Power Cup Michelins are apparently the top spec rubber right now - every rider and tester has raved about them (except for the obvious that they'll wear out quickly)

·
Registered
140 Posts
only thing i might add is you may be disappointed with the reliability. They aren't built like the japanese bikes. Don't get me wrong; i love my 790. But its back in for another warranty fix on Tuesday. That makes 4 visits in less than 8 months. One of them was a total rebuild and the bike was in the dealer for two months.
Still, they've never grumbled, everything got done on warranty with little fuss and i'm still happy with the bike; but 'bulletproof' they ain't.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would say this is a very good bike for “restarters” or even a “starter” with extreme precaution advices etc for very mature lvl headed people. Lot of safety net, narrow small, (but tall) can be tame and timid if you set it up right. And as you get more comfortable and miles rack up “unsheathe” the scalpel :)

regarding power, it’s what kind of riding you do that determine if it’s right. For corner carving twisty riding whole day back road touring sobs like me this has been god gift made right from the rib of superMoto angel and mixed with some street wine. But for city bombing power wheeling embarrassing yellow wrapped hellcats etc .... naaaaaaah don’t get this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
only thing i might add is you may be disappointed with the reliability. They aren't built like the japanese bikes. Don't get me wrong; i love my 790. But its back in for another warranty fix on Tuesday. That makes 4 visits in less than 8 months. One of them was a total rebuild and the bike was in the dealer for two months.
Still, they've never grumbled, everything got done on warranty with little fuss and i'm still happy with the bike; but 'bulletproof' they ain't.
What actually failed when it needed a rebuild?
I wont lecture you on buying demos😜

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, thanks for all the replies. OK, sounds like it will be a good fit. As one of you mentioned above regarding reliability, I am a little concerned but the 890 checks off so many boxes it's hard to say no to. Plus all the new tech that has come out since I last rode is just mindboggling - I'll definitely be getting the Tech Package.
As a side note, check out youtube, someone crashed their 890 already. Apparently he's not sure what happened. I'm hoping it wasn't a bike malfunction.

Your profile say you are in the US but your post says you are buying from a Canadian dealer? Where are you exactly?
That was probably my VPN. I'm in southern Ontario.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What actually failed when it needed a rebuild?
I wont lecture you on buying demos😜
Aye, nothing gets thrashed like a demo. I'd only had Japanese bike previously so did int' really think it was an issue.
You know what though, i've been really impressed with my dealer in sydney (pro cycles st peters). They're always busy but they are also fairly priced and good.

hmm warranty things

Entire top end replaced, valves, cams, piston heads etc. Due to bent valve on one piston which they think was due to uneven cam wear. I think running them in gently makes a big difference.
It was leaking oil from EVERYWHERE. in the end they replaced the sump case to stop the lower leaks. New seals and used BMW sealants rather than KTM ones.
usual rough electronics fixed with a firmware upgrade.
And on Tuesday it goes back in for the dash replace due to thermal expansion cracking.
i'm going to get a screen protector and may get a dash cosy just to slow down expansion and contraction as it goes from a warm bike to a cold shed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey, thanks for all the replies. OK, sounds like it will be a good fit. As one of you mentioned above regarding reliability, I am a little concerned but the 890 checks off so many boxes it's hard to say no to. Plus all the new tech that has come out since I last rode is just mindboggling - I'll definitely be getting the Tech Package.
As a side note, check out youtube, someone crashed their 890 already. Apparently he's not sure what happened. I'm hoping it wasn't a bike malfunction.

That was probably my VPN. I'm in southern Ontario.
Do you have a link to the youtube video? I searched and couldn't find anything about a crashed 890

·
Registered
16 Posts
Apparently he crashes the fz10 totaled it and bought this, and crashed it, and still plan to keep going. Some folks have balls of steel I suppose, I would be very wary of getting back in bike after back to back crashes like those :( but Then again I am extra paranoid precautious after I became a father.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking at the damage, it kind of makes me wonder if he was hit from the rear
I think he tried to wheelie the bike and went too far. That's why the back end might be destroyed and his exhaust pipe is bent - you can see the kink in the pipe at the 5:01 and 5:40 mark. Then at the 12:56 mark, he mentions how he ‘hit and impacted” which I think means he recovered and slammed the front end down hard, and went over. At the 4:00 mark, he says how he endoed and flipped over.

He also doesn’t sound like he’s too upset or confused about a possible hit and run. He seems to sound like someone who f’d up with a bike he didn’t expect to be so light and torquey. Just my 2 cents and probably wrong, mind you :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey There
Well I am lucky to have had a quite a few bikes and my current collection is a Bimota DB8, 790Duke, 701 Vitpilen, BMW RnineT, Grom, 125 Monkey.
Would I buy an 890 hmmm I would by a 790 and put tyres on it if you can find someone running out a 790. The tyres on a 790 really let down (I put Michelin RS on mine) what is probably the best real world bike. I have owned a 1098 Streetfighter and it was awesome but useless around town. I bought this bike basically for my girlfriend to be on the back of after being hit on my Bimota DB9s (which she loved). She finds it (with the power part seat) very comfortable so if you want to pillion this is a good bike for the job.
I now find I prefer the 790 when riding with my quick mates as it is more versatile than any other of my bikes. MT10s and s1000Rs don’t get away from me and it is a lot friendlier in traffic than a litre bike. It has a lot of physical room (I’m 180cm tall) for such a capable bike. The only mods I’ve done is a seat, exhaust (just for looks), tail tidy and the Galfer brakes which is a good upgrade.
A 790 for its money is exceptional value. I have had no warranty issues as most have as you can see been attributed to running in. I think it really requires to be run in correctly like all KTM bikes. Japanese makers say to ride them in but don’t seem to have the problems that European bikes do when they are not. This is probably because they are not trying to eek out every last bhp. If you buy any European bike the advice I would give is it has a racing engine in it and if you paid someone to build you a Japanese racing engine you’d take the time to run it in properly as you know everything is at a higher level of stress.
I have owned 4 Ducatis and 2 bimotas they are loved and not coddled I’ve seen over 250kmph on all of them. I have never had a reliability issue.
They are regularly serviced with only the best oils (why not it usually is only $40 more) and checked before every ride and garaged as clean as the day I bought them. That’s where reliability comes from. If your not one for cleaning your bike and see it as transport and occasional fun I would buy Japanese.
The best analogy is the lady one.
A Japanese bike is like a English/US/Australian lady, you can mistreat them but with the occasional pampering have a happy relationship. A European bike is like a European lady, they will require a very specific manner to be treated and if you deviate look out there will be an explosion that will cost you dearly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts