KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a link to where I can get 890 mirrors?
Any Partzilla type places stocking these yet?

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
443 Posts
Noob question here. What's with the 890 mirrors?
Welcome Iron Head! Where in Canada are you from?

890/1290SD mirrors are slightly more attractive and functional than the OEM 790 mirrors so it's a common upgrade for owners who prefer traditionally placed mirrors but like the aesthetic of these more than the stockers.

I opted for bar end mirrors personally which I think adds 7hp according to my butt dyno. ;)

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
443 Posts
Those numbers aren't far off of an 890 duke r. I'd guess it's like 110 rwhp, 68 ft lbs and probably 375-380 lb wet
Agreed 100% on the power figures - I'd also say 110 and 68 however the weight is noticeably more - it's roughly 410 wet. KTM claims 366lbs dry and if you go by all of their other bikes figures including the 790 and compare claimed dry VS actual wet numbers it adds about 44lbs.

I think Fillmore got his Pikes Peak 790 down to 385 wet or something crazy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agreed 100% on the power figures - I'd also say 110 and 68 however the weight is noticeably more - it's roughly 410 wet. KTM claims 366lbs dry and if you go by all of their other bikes figures including the 790 and compare claimed dry VS actual wet numbers it adds about 44lbs.

I think Fillmore got his Pikes Peak 790 down to 385 wet or something crazy.
According to this, the 790 dry weight is 372.5 and the wet weight is 383.

I'm guessing at about the same for the 890, which is about 7lbs lighter than the 790, so 365 + 10 is 375. It may differ slightly but hopefully not too far off. I've never weighed it myself so I'm going purely off these figures, but I'd guess the wet weight is similar to the 790 (10-11lbs difference between dry and wet weight).

·
Registered
120 Posts
The 890 Mirrors DO vibrate Substantially more.. And I accidentally broke one off on the base trying to twist it over further. (that was my fault)

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
443 Posts
According to this, the 790 dry weight is 372.5 and the wet weight is 383.

I'm guessing at about the same for the 890, which is about 7lbs lighter than the 790, so 365 + 10 is 375. It may differ slightly but hopefully not too far off. I've never weighed it myself so I'm going purely off these figures, but I'd guess the wet weight is similar to the 790 (10-11lbs difference between dry and wet weight).
  • The 890 weight is listed as lighter than the 790 for a few reasons but mainly it's because that bike doesn't get sold with the rear seat, passenger pegs, and grab rail mounted (included but not mounted - they get handed to you in a bag with the bike) which saves over 4lbs and, the new 320mm rotors are 2lbs lighter than the 790's 300mm units - there's your roughly 7lb weight difference.
  • My friend and a member here, NewBusa, weighed his 790 last summer on a scale and it was 411lbs - his had pegs removed, rear seat swapped for a lighter cowl, etc... so likely at least 5lbs of weight dropped.
Consider wet weight vs dry for a minute - do you really think all fluids weigh just 10lbs total?

The gas tank alone holds 14L of fuel which at 1.6lbs/L is over 22lbs just in gas. Now add in over 3L engine oil, coolant, battery electrolyte, fork and shock oil, brake fluid, etc... and you have on average 40-45lbs on a modern motorcycle.

The guys at Cycleworld threw it on their calibrated scales as well - scroll down for the actual wet weight under "Tested Specs":

·
Registered
38 Posts
  • The 890 weight is listed as lighter than the 790 for a few reasons but mainly it's because that bike doesn't get sold with the rear seat, passenger pegs, and grab rail mounted (included but not mounted - they get handed to you in a bag with the bike) which saves over 4lbs and, the new 320mm rotors are 2lbs lighter than the 790's 300mm units - there's your roughly 7lb weight difference.
  • My friend and a member here, NewBusa, weighed his 790 last summer on a scale and it was 411lbs - his had pegs removed, rear seat swapped for a lighter cowl, etc... so likely at least 5lbs of weight dropped.
Consider wet weight vs dry for a minute - do you really think all fluids weigh just 10lbs total?

The gas tank alone holds 14L of fuel which at 1.6lbs/L is over 22lbs just in gas. Now add in over 3L engine oil, coolant, battery electrolyte, fork and shock oil, brake fluid, etc... and you have on average 40-45lbs on a modern motorcycle.

The guys at Cycleworld threw it on their calibrated scales as well - scroll down for the actual wet weight under "Tested Specs":

Ok that's more of a real world weight than what I've researched so far, so I'll go off that. I wasn't sure based off the research I've done so thanks for that info. I've rode my brothers 2010 honda vfr 1200 (according to the same site that I quoted, 613lb wet weight) and my other brothers 2013 zx10r (same website, 436 wet weight) and the 890 feels so much lighter so it's hard to tell. Even if the the true weight is 400 something lbs, it sure feels a lot lighter than it is compared to other bikes. Either way I'm more than happy with the weight as they've designed it because this 890 rips and handles phenomenally.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts