KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Same, I ordered nano glass thinking it was actually made out of glass (like a glass screen protector for a phone).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in Japan. I was finally able to test ride the 890 Duke R, the only two things I noticed I didn't like was; my left knee and shin got roasted sitting at a light when the fan turns on, and using the quick shifter from first to second was very clunky compared to all the other gears. I absolutely love everything else about the bike. FYI, I had a 690 Duke R and presently have a 1290 Super Duke R. As soon as the bike is released here, I'm buying one for sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought mine back in April and have almost 1000 miles on it so far. Did the break in service at the dealer. The bike is amazing and has capabilities far beyond my own (hopefully some track days are in my near future so I can get learned lol).

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far, so I won't list everything:
  • Feels like it's on rails and loves to lean over in the corners
  • Smooth engine with torque everywhere
  • Breaks are almost TOO good
  • Seat could be better
  • Orange wheels show EVERYTHING
The one dislike I have that I haven't seen mentioned yet is surgy fueling at constant low speed, below ~45mph or ~4500rpm. In fact most people have said the fueling is pretty good, fixed from the 790. Even with cruse control on (to make sure it's not my shaky hands) I can feel it jerking a bit, though it's not enough to make the tach or the speedo jump around. Has anyone else experienced this on their 890?

Granted this is my first KTM (hence the username), coming from Hondas and Suzukis. Is this just a KTM thing? The fueling is great under any kind of acceleration or spirited riding, but it's a little annoying because I do do some commuting through town on the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am really digging my 890 and first KTM -

Likes -
  • I knew within a mile on the test ride that it was the one for me - easygoing nature and accommodating of bigger riders - I am 6'3", 240 lbs.
  • Sublime handling - my most recent benchmark is a 2015 Speed Triple R which felt top heavy at low speed and favored stability over dynamism. I agree with the comments about steering damping, at full boogie, the bike shakes its head a little.
  • Power is right where I need it and is sufficient to be exciting but not so much that you can't use it most of the time. I like the character of the motor - nice lopey sound and vibration and feels eager. I have not detected any fueling issues at all - could some owners be reading low rpm lugging as poor fueling?
  • The instrument panel is crisp and clear and I like the backlit handlebar switches.
Dislikes
  • This is a subjective area but to me, the color palette is more ski boot than mean machine and the quantity of orange (particularly the rims) is a bit too shouty. Would like to see more obviously metallic touch points or surface hardware (acknowledging that could bring weight). With that said, a lot of observers really like the looks of the bike.
  • The quality of the decals with their thickness and hard edges seem like a budget choice. However with KTM's background in dirt bikes, this may just be their thing and for many owners this will sit just fine.
  • The stock exhaust is too quiet for me but I understand KTM's constraints with Euro 4 etc.
  • I wish the signals self-cancelled
  • The rear brake pedal (not lever) is too short for me
  • The gloss black rear cowl, as others have noted, is not really a coherent color choice or finish and looks a little downmarket with its injection molded plastic. I love the shape of it, though, and intend to paint mine.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts