KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Soopa-Mod
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Congratulations!
You're the owner of a very sweet ride!

Not that the 890 needs much updating, (aside from tidy tail, 'zorst, and a lil' personalization), but clue us in:

Is there anything you don't love about it? (other than temporary, easy-to-fix snafu's).

This thread isn't meant to be a comparison to our beloved 790D, we all, (mostly all?), know the improvements that were carried over to this new 890.

Everyday, there are new 890 owners joining up, we want to hear from You. 馃榿

Likes?
Dislikes?
We want to know.

Registered
I know that this won't help much, but here goes!
Dislikes: Nothing.
The engine is being stronger as break in continues.

Registered
It's truly a phenomenal bike. Performance-wise it's even more than I had hoped for. There are a few minor gripes I have - but they are very minor and less than I've had on just about any other bike.

• I don't love the color scheme - I don't hate it, but it's a bit too bright and flashy for me.
  • I think the factory decals are rather cheaply done, and not clear coated over like on my 1190 Adventure.
  • This may be due to U.S. DOT regulations, but I wish KTM would have gone with LED signals with a self-canceling option.
  • Stock exhaust is pretty ugly. Again, not a huge issue, mine was already changed out by the 300 mile mark.
That's about it really. The performance of the bike in all aspects so far has been so amazing that these issues are really insignificant to me, but since you asked...

Registered
Turn Signals
Stock Exhaust
Stock tires are TOO soft.. I'm guessing I'll get 1500 miles out of them. A 90% track tire is a bit much.. I will probably replace the Cup 2's with GP's if I can find them, otherwise Power 5's
Needs more steering dampening.

Registered
More steering dampening? I have been looking at adjustable dampers so I can use LESS. ??
Everyone's different.

Registered
Not really a huge issue and something I can definitely get used to, but the shifter has a really short throw
No led signals, and they are rather big and ugly imo
Exhaust is way too quiet
Brakes are almost too good, which isn't a bad thing at all, just nitpicking
Seat cowl is gloss black while all the other black on the bike is matte
Kinda wish it had a bigger fuel tank

With all that said though, the pros definitely outweigh the cons with this bike. I'm really struggling to come up with things that I don't like, most of these things are personal preference and not really dislikes

Registered
More steering dampening? I have been looking at adjustable dampers so I can use LESS. ??
Everyone's different.
Very twitchy at WOT with AWM off.. Front lifts slightly in 2nd and 3rd gear. More dampener would calm that down for me.

Registered
Dislikes :
  • Gloss rear cowl - It should be matte like the rest of the bike
  • Color scheme - Just a bit too orange for me. The wheels show every spec of dust
  • Front fender - With tires being so sticky the front hammers the engine case with road debris. I will be fitting a fender extender.
  • Tech pack - I can understand the reasoning for keeping track mode, quickshifter, and launch control as an option but I cannot get behind having to spend $$$ just to turn off anti-wheelie mode.
  • Fueling - the low speed fueling is loads better than other bikes I have owned. I feel almost zero surging.
  • Blinkers - I know the US ones are very ugly, but the ability to swap to the EU led blinkers and enable LED mode is awesome. I hate messing with resisters.
  • Seat height - I'm 6'2" and love tho additional height compared to the 790. With the addition of the lower bars, I am very comfortable.
  • Gear box - shift throw is very short and precise.
  • Mirrors - I usually swap to bar ends right away, but I have found myself liking the look of the stock mirrors.
  • Tires - I live very close to US129 the dragon, so I prefer a sticky tire. The amount of grip available has been very confidence inspiring.
  • Suspension - adjustable suspension is always nice but the ability to adjust preload with just an allen is fantastic.

Registered
I see your point about the damper with out the AWM.
As far as a bigger fuel tank, with 450 miles on the engine, I am getting 58.9 mpg now, with VERY spirited riding. That's a 200 + mile range, which is pretty damn good for a sport bike. One more ride this weekend, then back to the dealer for the break in service...and access to TRACK mode!

Registered
I see your point about the damper with out the AWM.
As far as a bigger fuel tank, with 450 miles on the engine, I am getting 58.9 mpg now, with VERY spirited riding. That's a 200 + mile range, which is pretty damn good for a sport bike. One more ride this weekend, then back to the dealer for the break in service...and access to TRACK mode!
Did you turn AWM off and experience the twitch? Lol.
The 890 DOES get better mileage than the 790.
Why can't you access track mode before your 600 mile unlock?

Registered
I don't know. i assumed it was part of the non accessible modes that either turn on after the break in period, or have to be turned on by the dealer, to assure that you get your initial oil change. Either way, I can see the 'track mode' button, but it doesn't open anything yet. I'll know more next week.

Registered
Did you turn AWM off and experience the twitch? Lol.
The 890 DOES get better mileage than the 790.
Why can't you access track mode before your 600 mile unlock?
2 Stupid questions
  • Was AWM turned off in your vids when the front wheel was lifting?
  • Can you turn AWM off ONLY if you're in Track mode? - I haven't bought that add-on...

Super-Moderator
'20 890R
Not a lot of original thoughts here as the others have done a great job summarizing the bike but here goes:

Dislikes:

• pegs - they are well placed and comfortable but not grippy enough - I'll be swapping out the rubber mounted ones for knurled ones once I can find a decent set. Tired of my feet slipping off under hard riding or unexpected bumps.
  • rear cowl - super cheesy plastic that shows all scratches and blemishes. Looks okay from 6' away I guess.
  • Wish it came with the PP Flyscreen as standard - needs something to protect the instrument cluster
  • Instrument cluster face - its SO soft - I scratched the heck out of it with my palm side of my gloves - aka Kangaroo leather while wiping off pollen. How can KTM not make sure this never makes it to production - yeesh.
That's really it so far - the bike is seriously amazing and the above gripes are easily fixed or super mild annoyances at worst. The typical "first world problem" so to speak.

Took her ("Betsy") out today for a 140 mile doddle - ideal conditions - 18 degrees (65F) and empty backroads - great for a mental recharge.

Attachments

Registered
  • Instrument cluster face - its SO soft - I scratched the heck out of it with my palm side of my gloves - aka Kangaroo leather while wiping off pollen. How can KTM not make sure this never makes it to production - yeesh.
I bought a screen protector for that very reason. I have a few scratches that I'm gonna polish out and then apply the protector. I bought a Speed Angels brand, the listing stated glass which is what I wanted however when I received it, it doesn't seem like glass. I'll apply it regardless, I just wanted some protection.

Super-Moderator
'20 890R
I bought a screen protector for that very reason. I have a few scratches that I'm gonna polish out and then apply the protector. I bought a Speed Angels brand, the listing stated glass which is what I wanted however when I received it, it doesn't seem like glass. I'll apply it regardless, I just wanted some protection.
If you can post up a "How to polish out scratches for Dummies" tutorial for me that'd be frickin awesome - specifically if there's a certain polish to use. I'll want to get rid of mine as well before applying my protector (my buddy ordered em up for us last week, no clue what brand or style he bought as of yet).

Registered
If you can post up a "How to polish out scratches for Dummies" tutorial for me that'd be frickin awesome - specifically if there's a certain polish to use. I'll want to get rid of mine as well before applying my protector (my buddy ordered em up for us last week, no clue what brand or style he bought as of yet).
Sure, no problem. I have some ScratchX brand plastics polisher, I'll probably start with that. My go to is Meguiar's compound (for paint) though, I've done many a headlight with it with fantastic results. Give me a couple days to get it done and recorded.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts