KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you 890 owners,

Has KTM improved their engine build quality compared to the 790?

Particularly
Countersprocket seal oil leak
cam cover oil leak
leaky thermostat housing

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure yet. I'm continuously getting some oil seepage. Granted I only have 340 miles (at least 10 rides) on the bike, but by now the chain lube/gunk has already heated off and slung off (I think). What I'm seeing is thin oil. Possibly from the countersprocket seal, but I'm just guessing at this point. I'm going to hit break-in, change oil, clean and lube the chain, take off sprocket cover and clean...look at what I see. If I still get the thin oil leak I'll let everyone know. It will be going to the dealership at that point.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not sure yet. I'm continuously getting some oil seepage. Granted I only have 340 miles (at least 10 rides) on the bike, but by now the chain lube/gunk has already heated off and slung off (I think). What I'm seeing is thin oil. Possibly from the countersprocket seal, but I'm just guessing at this point. I'm going to hit break-in, change oil, clean and lube the chain, take off sprocket cover and clean...look at what I see. If I still get the thin oil leak I'll let everyone know. It will be going to the dealership at that point.
You'll need to remove your front sprocket cover and remove the huge wad of bubble gum, you're better off doing it now so you can keep riding in confidence. I had to do it on mine after approx 300km because I noticed some droplets, I didn't want any oil on my rear tire so I checked and the seal was dry but that wad of bubble gum was oozing when hot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I finished my break-in period and also had the thin oil running down. I suspected countersprocket seal, so I took off cover and cleaned the chain grease out. I didn't see any visible leak and after putting everything back together I've gone another 400 miles with no thin oil below the cover. My bet is the thin oil is a wax coating that was on the chain and once it gets hot enough it starts to come off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Interesting. I'm seeing this too. I'm over 500 miles and still seeing the this oil after coming back from a ride. Will be taking it in to the dealer in the next week or two for the break in service, so I'll report back on the findings. Originally I thought it was the grease/oil on the chain heating up and running down but not sure now....

·
Registered
16 Posts
@John San @A-AronP me three on the leak, very minimal, was waiting for my abba stand fixtures to be here to put bike up and service the chain more thoroughly. Already ordered the “updated” countersprocket seal just in case that’s the deal don’t want to have any down time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My sprocket cover and chain guard looked close to that, but my engine didn't. Mine is definitely an oil sheen/drip.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Picked up my brand new 890 today. After about 125 miles of riding it home, there is oil dripping off the screen moldings and any other collection point on the left side.

I wiped it down and will watch it. My chain appears to have been cleaned because there is no white grease on it. It feels oily, but not like it has chain lube on it. Maybe that is what is all over the bottom of the engine and the CAT.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been back and forth on this, after about 125 miles yesterday there is very little oil beneath the sprocket. I cleaned it up before I went up, so now I'm back to thinking it's just the lube on the chain from the factory. It just really looked like motor oil the first few times. Again, it's going in for break in service soon so I'll point it out to them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I cleaned my chain with kerosene and a rag this morning, and cleaned off the oil mess on the engine. Went for 150 mile ride, and when I got home there was just one drop of oil on each of the oil strainer housings. I don't think the engine is leaking.

·
Registered
109 Posts
There is ALOT of grease that comes off the Chain, sticks to the engine, gets hot and thins out looking like oil.
I had big blobs of it on my garage floor when I got the bike home. Thought mine (2018) had the countershaft seal issue but like yours it was just the chain grease

1 - 15 of 15 Posts