KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call up your dealer and see if it's available yet, the 790 one was pretty cheap when I got it (maybe $20cdn?).

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just bought an 890 from the dealer two days ago and part of my negotiation was that they were required to provide me a factory service manual as part of the deal. Official info below that I was relayed by the dealer from KTM North America

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We currently don’t offer any service manuals just owners.

Austria terminated the CD repair manuals but are working on a downloadable version.

We still don’t have an ETA on the PDF files but expect them to be available later this summer.

Have a good day,

ANDREW WINFREE
DEALER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ah crap, I didn’t go all the way to checkout because I haven’t even taken delivery of my bike yet. My suggestion try another browser or if on a mobile device try a computer. Sometimes forms are shitty on mobile.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Worked for me, I had a local dealer so I picked it, but I was fine to proceed past it. The PDF is watermarked with my contact info so it’s a cheeky way to limit sharing.

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
496 Posts
I purchased the bundles of both the user and service manuals. $120 I like having the paper manuals when I'm working on the bike. Don't like getting my electronic devices dirty. Yes I know. I could just print out the relevant pages. I'm old school when it comes to books.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Little bummed that there’s no electronic diagnostic information, even though I don’t have a scan tool that can access it. It means that they are hiding a lot of the modern methods of “repairing” one of these bikes.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Little bummed that there’s no electronic diagnostic information, even though I don’t have a scan tool that can access it. It means that they are hiding a lot of the modern methods of “repairing” one of these bikes.
Most dealer diagnostic devices are guided on the screen so that is why it's not written in the manual. I have a Texa Navigator and they have finally released support for the 790. It has a couple issues still but hoping they fix it soon.

I also have the BMW full dealer software at home and can do software updates to my other bike.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had the Ross-tech VCDS tools for my Audi, and I work in the Automotive aftermarket, so I appreciate having the diagnostic tools to manage the ongoing service of my toys! That Texa navigator is a $$$ tool, doesn't look like there is a service "lite" option for "consumer" use is there?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had the Ross-tech VCDS tools for my Audi, and I work in the Automotive aftermarket, so I appreciate having the diagnostic tools to manage the ongoing service of my toys! That Texa navigator is a $$$ tool, doesn't look like there is a service "lite" option for "consumer" use is there?
None that I am aware of for this model KTM. There are a couple good tools for BMW i.e. GS911 and Motoscan app

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
49 Posts
I have one of those book scanners that you can turn a physical book into a pdf.......🤔
I just ordered a physical copy :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: .

For anyone trying to order this online, if you get stuck at the "no dealers near you" just expand your search area to 300+km. Select a dealer but then have your manuals delivered to "invoice address".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys,

I purchased the srevice manual for my Duke 890R, but I have found obvious mistakes inside. For example : on page 270 the cylinder diameter is not correct. (Probably a copy paste issue from the 790), same problem for the piston on page 272.

Do you have the same issue with your manuals also?
How could I believe in other data (tolerances, tightening torque spec., etc.) after this mistake? I bought the manual to have/know those values , the correct values. What if I strip a thread somewhere just because the 790 and 890R values are different?
I tried to contact the printing company but I only got back nice automatic mails that they will contact me soon. Nobody contacted me. After a few weeks I sent an email to a specific person asking for a corrected manual. The response was :

"Thats not how it should work out. Sorry.
When did you order your manual / from which year is your bike?
I need this info for my next step:
I will then forward your mail and your findings to the technical documentation team. They will contact you directly with further infos or questions.

Thanks
Stefan Moser

support print.ktm.com"

Needless to say, after providing them the required data, nobody contacted me.

In my opinion it should work like this (if I were the seller):
1. Apologize for the mistake
2. Review the manual (all of it) and correct (all) the mistakes
3. Send the updated version to all former customers.

What's your opinion, how should I proceed?

Thank,

Peter

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Hi guys,

I purchased the srevice manual for my Duke 890R, but I have found obvious mistakes inside. For example : on page 270 the cylinder diameter is not correct. (Probably a copy paste issue from the 790), same problem for the piston on page 272.

Do you have the same issue with your manuals also?
How could I believe in other data (tolerances, tightening torque spec., etc.) after this mistake? I bought the manual to have/know those values , the correct values. What if I strip a thread somewhere just because the 790 and 890R values are different?
I tried to contact the printing company but I only got back nice automatic mails that they will contact me soon. Nobody contacted me. After a few weeks I sent an email to a specific person asking for a corrected manual. The response was :

"Thats not how it should work out. Sorry.
When did you order your manual / from which year is your bike?
I need this info for my next step:
I will then forward your mail and your findings to the technical documentation team. They will contact you directly with further infos or questions.

Thanks
Stefan Moser

support print.ktm.com"

Needless to say, after providing them the required data, nobody contacted me.

In my opinion it should work like this (if I were the seller):
1. Apologize for the mistake
2. Review the manual (all of it) and correct (all) the mistakes
3. Send the updated version to all former customers.

What's your opinion, how should I proceed?

Thank,

Peter
What dimensions are they, i will look at my 790 manual.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What dimensions are they, i will look at my 790 manual.
Coming from owning a Ducati to a KTM 890, I know for a fact that these discrepancies do exist in all manuals. If there is a silver lining here, the KTM manual is pretty darn good in comparison to other more niche manufacturers. If you can get Big Corporate to move for, more power to you.

Best you can do is what you just did qualify the discrepancy in a public forum for record and public reference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts