KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
VIP member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, 890 owners, I have a few questions:

1. Does the 890 have preload adjusters in the fork?

2. What kind of preload adjuster does the shock have?

3. The shock has a reservoir, right?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'll take a wild guess - it has the shock and forks specced as upgrades for the 790D on the WP suspension site - The rear shock has hydrualic preload - that's from KTM's web.

From the photo - Yes it seems to have the remote reservoir too.

Forks - the photos do show something atop the forks - but it's unclear if that's just the damping.

@RokBagorosParts had the factory WP upgrade done to his 790D - maybe he knows!

·
VIP member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A little more digging turned up this photo. The fork appears to have no preload, as I suspected. The shock answers all my questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, 890 owners, I have a few questions:

1. Does the 890 have preload adjusters in the fork?
Definitely not.
The suspension the 890R has are the WP APEX; they are in between the standard 790 WP and the aftermarket 790 WP APEX PRO, quality wise.
If you upgrade the 790 with the WP APEX PRO (like you did), you have better suspension of the one you get on the 890R as a standard.
I expect WP to release an APEX PRO kit even for the 890R (hopefully).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Surprising that preload is only spring and non adjustable. I don't know why they take short cuts like this.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It will be interesting to hear what sag settings guys get on the new 890 with the up rated suspension. Im surprised theres no preload adjusment up front. Im wondering have they gone away from progressive springs or not. The original 790 had big sag numbers, so im hoping the new 890 is more of a tort set up in stock form.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd rather have springs correct for my weight than preload adjusters. I'm heavy, and more preload will not fix having springs of too low rate. The only correct fix is installing the correct springs, in which case no preload adjuster is needed.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'd rather have springs correct for my weight than preload adjusters. I'm heavy, and more preload will not fix having springs of too low rate. The only correct fix is installing the correct springs, in which case no preload adjuster is needed.
Absolutely, but if you take a passenger of carry gear preload is handy, and even with the correct springs, you still need to fine tune the preload to the sag settings you like, and to match the front to the rear.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Absolutely, but if you take a passenger of carry gear preload is handy, and even with the correct springs, you still need to fine tune the preload to the sag settings you like, and to match the front to the rear.
I don't carry passengers, ever, and my 890 will be set up without a pillion seat or pegs. Any tuning I need to do can be done with internal spacers. That's what I always do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts