KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's been a while since I had my FZ09 but don't remember it being more cramped than my 790.
Really? I remember the bars being narrow and annoyingly close to the rider, and foot pegs relatively high and forward. I may confuse it with MT-07 too, it's been a while since I've ridden either. But for certain I remember the XSR900 having a much better upper body ergos than the 09.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@Bill - I am a bigger guy than you and the 890 pulls me very well. Can't say that very often I am really wanting more power unless I am up in the triple digit range (MPH). That is where I think the 1290 is better but I spend such a small portion of my time at those speeds on the street anyway as I like to stay out of jail. As I've mentioned in other posts, according to KTM test riders, the 890R lapped some of their test tracks quicker than the 1290 SDR. That is pretty impressive.

@Djangofou - one nice thing about the packages, is you can get only what you want, and add it later if you decide you want it. I don't believe the Yamaha offers an actual track pack. If the cruise for the North American markets, is like the Euro one, the cruise doesn't work until you are at least 30 mph in 4th gear and up. The TFT screen is tiny, much smaller than the one on the 890R. You also have to spring for the SP version if you want cruise. Apparently they shrunk the wheelbase too. Will make it even more wheelie prone. For me the most interesting news out of Yamaha is they've been working on a turbo version of their bikes. Supposedly they had a test mule with the MT09 motor but they can't easily make into a street version but will probably due it on the MT10. Put it in a bigger chassis for a larger guy and I'd definitely consider selling my H2 Kawi as I like turbos better than superchargers.
The only reason why i hesitate on buying the 890r is reliability!! But most people say they’re some minor issues fixed with the first service!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The only reason why i hesitate on buying the 890r is reliability!! But most people say they’re some minor issues fixed with the first service!!
I bought mine in October, and have put 10kkms on in with zero issues. Well, once the quickshifter stopped working, but switching the bike off and back on again solved it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The 890 is lighter, thinner, has WAY better brakes, better tires, better chassis specs (which give it the better handling) and better torque (performance from 0-100). The 890 Duke R also gets 20% better fuel economy over the MT09. The MT09SP has a place in peoples garages, but will be another second place bike when compared to the Super Scalpel in tests.
The new mt is the same weight as the 890

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
217 Posts
Really? I remember the bars being narrow and annoyingly close to the rider, and foot pegs relatively high and forward. I may confuse it with MT-07 too, it's been a while since I've ridden either. But for certain I remember the XSR900 having a much better upper body ergos than the 09.
It may have been the MT-07. I remember sitting on a few of those and thinking, man this thing is tiny and cramped. You are right about the 900. It has a more traditional stance and comfort.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The new mt is the same weight as the 890
Really? I was not able to confirm anything more than the MT09 being "wet weight 419***" But no notes as to what the three asterisks mean. Cycle World has the 890 wet weight at 406.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Pounds are cheap to shave off a bike. I really wish someone (maybe the media outlets) some info that would be very useful to know such as unsprung mass (weight). Why have a 15 pound wheel if I can have one that is 10 pounds and just as strong?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well usually shaving pounds off the rider has much better performance to buck and higher potential for weight savings 😉

Stuff like comparing unsprung, or better yet, dynamics of rotating weight would certainly be interesting, but it takes an effort and if, say, some medium would start doing it, they'd need a way to make money on it. That's the sadly the truth nowadays.
I'd put my faith in bloggers of vloggers, but sadly most of them seem to have no idea what they're doing, and the gems get lost in a sea of nonsense.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
217 Posts
Well usually shaving pounds off the rider has much better performance to buck and higher potential for weight savings 😉
Right on Squid.

I have to chuckle when I see some boasting about shaving off 3 pounds here and 4 pounds there on their bike. Then the following weekend they load up on beer and pizza and all their expensive weight savings migrates from bike parts and lands in their mid section.;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Pounds are cheap to shave off a bike. I really wish someone (maybe the media outlets) some info that would be very useful to know such as unsprung mass (weight). Why have a 15 pound wheel if I can have one that is 10 pounds and just as strong?
No they're not... unless you think $2k on wheels is cheap.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It was an auto correct issue on my part and I couldn't edit it later for some reason. I meant to say point aren't cheap to shave off though if I could get a set of lightweight wheels for 2k total I would spend it.

Alternatively swapping out some things isn’t that expensive to do like an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's like marrying the same woman 4 times... And now back for a 5 peat after a quick fling.

While I've owned a lot of bikes, averaging buying about 4 for every year I've been riding, I've only ever done a true repeat and that was with Africa Twins. I might have bought maybe 5 bikes in a row from the same manufacturer, or bought 6 Audis in a row, but never bought the same model other than the AT. Closest otherwise was 900 Ninja and then years later the 1000 Ninja.

Good for you that something captured your fancy so much you keep coming back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's like marrying the same woman 4 times... And now back for a 5 peat after a quick fling.

While I've owned a lot of bikes, averaging buying about 4 for every year I've been riding, I've only ever done a true repeat and that was with Africa Twins. I might have bought maybe 5 bikes in a row from the same manufacturer, or bought 6 Audis in a row, but never bought the same model other than the AT. Closest otherwise was 900 Ninja and then years later the 1000 Ninja.

Good for you that something captured your fancy so much you keep coming back.
I reason I buy the latest bikes & then update them when new versions of ECU's come out, I build tunes for bikes with different pipes & reflash the ECU's as a hobby, the MT09 went through quite a few ECU updates & I had to build tunes for each different ECU bin file, I can add race tools software in the flash if the rider wants the package or part of the race tools, I can add up/down shifters, launch control, pit limiter & race warm up blipper, a lot of fun.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Really? I was not able to confirm anything more than the MT09 being "wet weight 419***" But no notes as to what the three asterisks mean. Cycle World has the 890 wet weight at 406.
[/QUOTEyeah
yeah well i watched a lot of videos talking about the new SP and one of them mentioned the 890 being the same or close weight!! I can’t remember which one though!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have had 4 x MT09's in a row, 2014/16/17 & a 2018 09SP, I now have a 890 Duke & have a 2021 09SP on order, I will be able to compare first hand on the 2021 model when they land in Australia & I get mine.
I’ll be waiting for your comparison!! Justed put a deposit on my 2021 890!!!!! The dealer near me only gets 4 of them this year!! And I’m one of them!!! Can’t wait

21 - 40 of 40 Posts