KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I like the look of stock/ OEM (in this case KTM), and I like how the handlebar setup looks with the clamps for the clutch/ front brake located inboard of the switch control pods. (It just looks much cleaner to me due to my self imposed OCD.)

And, while I was at the dealer getting my break-in service done I was able to take a good look at an 890 R they had on the floor. I LOVED the feel and adjustability of the stock 890 R M/C, especially the quick adjustment RCS, something I have not seen on "regular" Brembo RCS M/Cs.

With that being said, I think I would like to put one on my 790 and my question is will it work, or would I also have to change out the calipers/ discs? My guess is that the 890 R M/C is setup for whatever the piston size is of the stock Brembo calipers and I doubt it is the same as the JJuan ones on the 790.

***Also, frustrating is the fact that I cannot find any online KTM parts sites listing 890 R parts yet. I called a local dealer and they are not seeing 890 R parts yet either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You won't have the same feeling by simply changing Duke 790 MC. You will need at least Brembo Stylema/m50 calipers(4x30mm pistons) without that it will be totally different.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You won't have the same feeling by simply changing Duke 790 MC. You will need at least Brembo Stylema/m50 calipers(4x30mm pistons) without that it will be totally different.
I don' think that's true.

You will find a lot who changed only the MC and were happy with the results.

I think that's a good idea since the 890 MC is a really good one designed for the handlebar of an 790/890

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love to do just the M/C from the 890 but I hear what adamwwa is saying. I think the piston sizes are different on the stock 790 JJuan calipers compared to the 890 Brembos. Because of that, I bet the feeling would be different. But maybe it wouldn't be bad? Don't know.

Due to cost, I would like to source the 890 M/C for sure and maybe try it with the stock 790 calipers. (Unless someone knows for certain that it would be bad.) Then source the Brembo calipers if I have to.

Regardless, I bet new discs will be a must.

Still a moot point as of now because I still can't find a US source for 890 parts.

·
VIP member
547 Posts
if you can find out what size the MCS’ piston is, that will go a long way toward telling you how it will feel with the J.Juan calipers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to the dealer today and they were able to pull up the listing for parts for the 890 R (finally). It looks like a "full" 890 R brake setup would be very cost-prohibitive as I would need the M/C, calipers, discs, ABS module, etc. and who knows if everything would even work with the 790 ECU.

I am sure I would be happy with HH pads, maybe 320mm discs, and a "regular" Brembo M/C.

Still wonder if the 890 M/C would work though...

2019 KTM 790 Duke
3 Posts
The j juan piston sizes are two at 30mm and two at 34mm for an average of 32mm; the Stylema's on the 890 all have 30mm pistons. The MCS 19.21 on the 890 is appropriate for either (at different settings) and should considerably increase brake feel (not brake power) without another upgrade.

So, I like the look of stock/ OEM (in this case KTM), and I like how the handlebar setup looks with the clamps for the clutch/ front brake located inboard of the switch control pods. (It just looks much cleaner to me due to my self imposed OCD.)

And, while I was at the dealer getting my break-in service done I was able to take a good look at an 890 R they had on the floor. I LOVED the feel and adjustability of the stock 890 R M/C, especially the quick adjustment RCS, something I have not seen on "regular" Brembo RCS M/Cs.

With that being said, I think I would like to put one on my 790 and my question is will it work, or would I also have to change out the calipers/ discs? My guess is that the 890 R M/C is setup for whatever the piston size is of the stock Brembo calipers and I doubt it is the same as the JJuan ones on the 790.

***Also, frustrating is the fact that I cannot find any online KTM parts sites listing 890 R parts yet. I called a local dealer and they are not seeing 890 R parts yet either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts