KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the 890 out for its first track day yesterday and I had an absolute blast! Overall my lap times were 1-2 seconds slower tha my previous bike (K6 GSXR-1000) Not bad at all for being down 50 HP and about 40MPH top speed.

Some observations (most all comparisons are from the K6 gsxr)

Bike is WAY more comfortable! My legs hurt MUCH less today and I was able to do full sessions for all 7 sessions.

Bike is much faster in the corners. I was able to get my right knee down for the first time in several corners. My left knee was touching down much more consistently and with a bit more pressure than before. I think this was a combo of higher corner speeds and being able to get off the bike more and get my knee out a bit more.

Traction control saved my bacon when i had a missed shift at full throttle in 2nd gear. Before I knew what was happening, the engine revved up, slammed into gear, front wheel came up and traction control put it back down. I found i had to be careful when shifting my body weight while preparing to upshift. My toe would bump the shifter and the quick **** would cut ignition and try to buck me a little bit. I made a slight adjustment to the shift linkage to give my toes more room to get under the shifter.

Power cup 2 tires performed very well. I was a bit concerned the rear tire was getting plenty of heat but not the front. I had to adjust my normal brake markers and go deeper into my braking zone so I could brake hard enough to put more heat into the front. Slight pressure adjustment and harder braking helped a bit, but I would like to see more. This tells me I need to run a harder compound rear in the heat or a softer front if its cold out..

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Supermoto

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can't wait to get one. Perfect timing. Looking at a 790 or 890 for the occasional trackday and occassional commuter. Had a Tuono and the feeling was great.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Great pictures of the bike and pipes, love the horizontal link pipe. I might get an 890 one day when I've grown up 😃👍

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the 890 out for its first track day yesterday and I had an absolute blast! Overall my lap times were 1-2 seconds slower tha my previous bike (K6 GSXR-1000) Not bad at all for being down 50 HP and about 40MPH top speed.

Some observations (most all comparisons are from the K6 gsxr)

Bike is WAY more comfortable! My legs hurt MUCH less today and I was able to do full sessions for all 7 sessions.

Bike is much faster in the corners. I was able to get my right knee down for the first time in several corners. My left knee was touching down much more consistently and with a bit more pressure than before. I think this was a combo of higher corner speeds and being able to get off the bike more and get my knee out a bit more.

Traction control saved my bacon when i had a missed shift at full throttle in 2nd gear. Before I knew what was happening, the engine revved up, slammed into gear, front wheel came up and traction control put it back down. I found i had to be careful when shifting my body weight while preparing to upshift. My toe would bump the shifter and the quick **** would cut ignition and try to buck me a little bit. I made a slight adjustment to the shift linkage to give my toes more room to get under the shifter.

Power cup 2 tires performed very well. I was a bit concerned the rear tire was getting plenty of heat but not the front. I had to adjust my normal brake markers and go deeper into my braking zone so I could brake hard enough to put more heat into the front. Slight pressure adjustment and harder braking helped a bit, but I would like to see more. This tells me I need to run a harder compound rear in the heat or a softer front if its cold out..

View attachment 5465

View attachment 5466 View attachment 5467

View attachment 5468 View attachment 5469 View attachment 5470 View attachment 5469

View attachment 5473 View attachment 5474
What PSI did you run your tires at (hot), I have heard huge variations from different people. Luv the pipes BTW!

·
a d m i n .
151,080 Posts
Here's the cheat sheet from Michelin themselves
I am curious, do the 890 Duke R’s still come wt the Power Cup EVO’s?

Other than tire sizes, is there a difference between the EVO’s and the larger size Power Cup 2’s, (I run these on my CBR1K SP), for TD’s and currently street, which they are incredible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts