·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to drop a tooth on the counter and so I ordered:

15T OEM damped countershaft sprocket
41T SuperSprox rear sprocket
DID 520VX3 X-Ring chain

However, after ordering from KTM-parts.com I read the description on the DID site and they rate that chain for up to 800cc. I think it will likely be fine on the 890, but still, the rating bothers me.

·
Registered
'20 890R
48 Posts
If it's possible to do a return I would go for their zvmx instead. Used it on all my bikes and never experienced any issues. The slightly higher price is (in my opinion) more than compensated by the higher mileage you get from the chain.

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered an RK 520GXW chain, rated for 1000cc. I will return the DID one when it arrives.

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the upgrade. The CZ chain was really difficult to break, almost beyond the capabilities of my Motion Pro PRB tool. I did get it done by grinding down the heads of the pins.

However.... I just noticed that there are index marks on the chain adjuster blocks, but apparently no index marks on the swingarm itself to line them up with. Hmmm. I'm satisfied I got the adjustment right by referencing the ends of the adjusters with the cast in rectangular blocks on the swingarm that are next to the adjusters, but WTF are the index marks on the adjusters supposed to line up with? The user manual is no help.

·
Super Moderator
'09 CBR1000RR
638 Posts
I did the upgrade. The CZ chain was really difficult to break, almost beyond the capabilities of my Motion Pro PBR tool.

I did get it done by grinding down the heads of the pins.
The dealer replaced mine yesterday with a D.I.D ERV7 - it's Gold which isn't my first, or second choice of colour BUT, it is the top chain available and I was amazed at just how much less rolling resistance it has compared to the cheapo CZ chain - spin the rear wheel now when it's on the stand and it does 3 full revolutions compared to 1-1.5 with the CZ on it - I'm really happy so far (in the puny 100 miles I have on it).

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same with the DID chain. The CZ is really a POS.

I also was riding down a long hill on my short test ride and put it in neutral and shut the engine off. It's very quiet with the new chain and sprockets.

I put on a KTM 15T damped engine sprocket and a SuperSprox 41T rear, for a little lower gearing, and it makes a very noticeable difference. The bike is geared high from the factory, probably to help pass noise restrictions.

·
Super Moderator
'09 CBR1000RR
638 Posts
I put on a KTM 15T damped engine sprocket and a SuperSprox 41T rear, for a little lower gearing, and it makes a very noticeable difference. The bike is geared high from the factory, probably to help pass noise restrictions.
Agreed - it's too tall as standard, I almost never use 6th gear and almost never spend anytime over 100mph so it's waste - I'd much rather get to 100 quicker! :)

·
Registered
362 Posts

I also was riding down a long hill on my short test ride and put it in neutral and shut the engine off. It's very quiet with the new chain and sprockets.

New chain was still 118 links?

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My new chain was 120 links, but I cut it to length. I think the stock chain is 116 links, but I did not count them, I just cut the 120 to the same length as the removed stock POS.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Agreed - it's too tall as standard, I almost never use 6th gear and almost never spend anytime over 100mph so it's waste - I'd much rather get to 100 quicker! :)
If I use my 790 to commute I seldom get into 5th. One part usually 3rd is top. Yup! - fun roads.

From the fiche - standard is 116links. 16:41 stock. 15:42 might be fun!.

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
According to Coober.eu:

"actually there is no install manual at all inside the ecu box. installation of the ecu on the 890 duke, takes normally between 6 and 10 minutes. its only 12 srews, 2 ziptie and that's it. only tool you need is torx 25 and side cutter"

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
According to Coober.eu:

"actually there is no install manual at all inside the ecu box. installation of the ecu on the 890 duke, takes normally between 6 and 10 minutes. its only 12 srews, 2 ziptie and that's it. only tool you need is torx 25 and side cutter"
Blimey!. My COOBER came via WINGS (the exhaust folks) and had a manual inside.
6-10 minutes is VERY OPTIMISTIC ime. Certainly the first time.
In addition to that mentioned by COOBER you need a stack of patience and smallish hands. I'd recommend a small torch too!. Too much light makes things worse!.
I'll scan the version received tomorrow at work. And add my "discovered by experimentation" notes.

I know this SOUNDS awkward, but tbh I cursed a lot during the PCV install on the Triumph too. I'm fussy when it comes to wiring - there! - I admit it.
Just finished doing my Guzzi from scratch. Spent a ruddy fortune on TechFlex. But!.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Did you use the torque specs from the 790 service manual? Also, did you use Loctite 2701 on the rear sprocket fasteners as specified in the manual? I have never changed sprockets before so I am curious if high strength threadlocker is necessary instead of just using medium strength.

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, used the 790 torque specs. Used 2701 on the rear fasteners and 243 on the countershaft sprocket nut. BTW, if I recall correctly, 2701 is difficult to find in the US. When I found it I bought a large bottle.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
49 Posts
Did you use the torque specs from the 790 service manual? Also, did you use Loctite 2701 on the rear sprocket fasteners as specified in the manual? I have never changed sprockets before so I am curious if high strength threadlocker is necessary instead of just using medium strength.
I religiously use the recommended thread locker and torque spec. The peace of mind alone is worth the extra $13 for the right goo

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke, 2006 SV 650, 2008 Hot rodded KLR, 1991 Honda Hawk NT 650
149 Posts
I ordered an RK 520GXW chain, rated for 1000cc. I will return the DID one when it arrives.
That was probably a bad idea.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts