KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
With the steering being as light as it is, I wonder how it would feel without the damper...:surprise:

Not going to try it, though :devil:

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
You have to remember that slow damping values should be close to none, while fast damping value should be very high. The idea behind a steering damper is that it will be barely noticeable in normal riding but will dampen fast side to side movement, characteristic to head-shake.

And it will have some free play, always.

Reactions: J D

·
Super-Member
600 Posts
I was wondering about that QCS. Thanks for posting.

I was also wondering, since my Scott damper on my old bike was a lot more stiff (which I liked), if the oil in the 790D damper could be changed and if it is worth it. Thoughts?

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
I am not too familiar with the unit on the Duke, but looking at the workshop manual it seems like a simple, sealed, non adjustable unit. I would think that trying to make changes to it is not going to yield a lot. Maybe replacing with an adjustable unit, like this Ohlins makes more sense. Naturally, the correct model needs to be installed. I did not find one on Ohlins' site.

I am not sure Scott (or similar units) have applications for the Duke 790, but it's worth looking into. This adventure model might be compatible with the Duke.

Please remember that a steering damper is designed to be invisible in most situations and provide damping under extreme conditions, such as a head-shake.

Reactions: J D

·
a d m i n .
151,144 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Scotts & Ohlins, the same kit? I didn't see anything listed by them either.

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Scotts & Ohlins, the same kit? I didn't see anything listed by them either.
I hope I understand the question.

The designs of the Scotts and classic Ohlins are different. Scotts uses a radial piston design, while classic Ohlins is a linear piston (like the one already installed on the KTM). I guess you might be referring to the Ohlins radial damper, as can be seen here.

The linear and the radial are the two designs that are being used for steering dampers. I am not personally familiar with anything else. Most are mechanical but there are also variants with electronic control (through the ECU).

Scotts just released a unit for the 790 adventure. Some of the linear models are universal. Ohlins even sells them as such. You need to know the desired length and stroke (travel) and you should be able to fit something.

Here is a good video from MC Garage discussing steering dampers:

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
Got it. You are probably right. I was not aware.

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
I mean, to be straight, that was 20 years ago, when I bought my first Scotts rotary for racing. Things change.
I should have known. I can join AARP is a couple of years...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I dare to say the damper on the 790 could use some more stiffness.
At least on the wet on Monday last week I could clearly feel the front going back and forth too freely for my taste fractions of seconds after the rear wheel started to slide and before I lost the whole thing for good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts