KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good writeup, cheers. The 890 will feel higher as it will sag less under your weight. First thing i noticed when changing my 790 suspension was the bike sat higher, and the suspension worked instantly, not the soft initial soft sag. I do trackdays with 2 mates on 1299S, so extra power won't help me other than down the straight, and i do back road riding with a 939SP and a couple of Husky Nuda's, the 790 now with the better suspension pushes those guys hard, they can't get away from me. So the 790 has enough power. If id never had the 790, then sure id get a 890. But with the 1290GT and my Multistrada, i don't need more power, i did need better brakes (pads) and better suspension, i now have both, and love my 790. I think if i was to change, id go for the new 1290R, and maybe trade the 790 and the GT.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In response to the OP, I just found out the sticker price of the 890 in my country and its quite reasonable, so basically for the cost of tyres, brakes and pillion cover, youre getting that and WP apex, big bore, higher compression, hot cams etc.
Whats not to like? I actually asked about the 890 when I bought my 790. Salesman said 'Its not happening because of Coronavirus'. Still havnt seen new ones advertised either.

I'd also like to know more about reliability, and theres a few gizmos that just seem a bit experimental to me, such as the manifold pressure optimized fuelling.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
can we have a why not? I might eventually but am in no rush now, I think other than 15 hp and the r kudos mine is better than the 890 As it stands.
yes it’s cost a bit to get where it is but who’s going to buy an 890r and not buy add ons for it.
Interesting question, especially why wouldn’t you go for an 890! That will depend on what an individual is looking for in a bike. Age, height and end use are all relevant to me. At 72 and 5’7” (170cm), I wanted a light bike with a suitable seat height to offset a knackered body 😊 . It also needed to have sport-oriented performance as I spend a fair bit of time mentoring and examining riders who want to obtain raise their roadcraft skills.

It was a toss-up between a Street Triple 765 and the 790. I chose the 790 because it had a stronger emotional appeal. I enjoyed the test ride more on the 790, a real joy and over 12 months down the track since then; it still makes me laugh every time I take it out. I had a GSX-S1000 before the 790 and found it boring by comparison. More horsepower but much less enjoyment/emotional appeal. A clear demonstration that buying a bike has to be with both the head and heart!

This all adds up to being pretty satisfied with what I’ve got so currently not interested in an 890 or anything else for what I personally want from a bike. Guess I’ve struck lucky in that respect and would sooner spend money on my other interests.

·
Top Speed guru
76 Posts
I'm one of the ones who's been bit. My 790 has under 2600 miles, has the PP windscreen, has never been down and is in perfect condition. Anyone interested please message me on here or my email is [email protected] and yes, the reason for selling is I want to purchase the 890. Crazy part is the 790 does everything I want it to. Great handling, great acceleration, and lots of fun. I also installed the Wings slip on and the Coober ECU and air lid. Can sell with or without muffler/ecu. I still have all the stock parts. If it sells, I'm 890 bound, if not, I'm still going to have some fun... :)

Attachments

·
Super-Moderator
119 Posts
I'm one of the ones who's been bit. My 790 has under 2600 miles, has the PP windscreen, has never been down and is in perfect condition. Anyone interested please message me on here or my email is [email protected] and yes, the reason for selling is I want to purchase the 890. Crazy part is the 790 does everything I want it to. Great handling, great acceleration, and lots of fun. I also installed the Wings slip on and the Coober ECU and air lid. Can sell with or without muffler/ecu. I still have all the stock parts. If it sells, I'm 890 bound, if not, I'm still going to have some fun... :)
Hey Rock! Congrats on making the 890 move!
Make a 'For Sale' ad in the section here, who knows?
Also, CycleTrader, Craigslist, LetGo, Facebook marketplace, are great places to advertise these days.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can buy a new 790 here in the uk for £6500 At the moment, when I asked about a trade in price the dealer wouldn’t even give me a price as he didn’t want to insult me.
Well I did get a shock too when I asked! But lets face it there’s a lot going on at the moment so hopefully things will settle down and become a little more realistic.
The 890R is going to appeal to those that want an out an out sports bike and the 790 will be the more practical option. More of a blank canvas that can become whatever you want it to be!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well I did get a shock too when I asked! But lets face it there’s a lot going on at the moment so hopefully things will settle down and become a little more realistic.
The 890R is going to appeal to those that want an out an out sports bike and the 790 will be the more practical option. More of a blank canvas that can become whatever you want it to be!
I asked For a trade in price before Covid 19 kicked off, The problem is ktm selling off last year models new £2500 less than list price, which is nothing new with ktm.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, I'm not hopping on the 890 bandwagon anytime soon. The only major change I'm contemplating is suspension upgrade, and that's a big maybe.
Same. For how often I ride on the street, the 790 seems pretty good out of the box. Still got the dirt bike for winter, and track, dunno, probably rather get a cheap GSXR than track this thing.

...and if I wanted to woop Blowbyu I'd go get a raggedy ass Superduke😅

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am yet to try the Duke 890 but I sat on it on a convention (lol) and it felt much worse on my knees than the 790. Hell, the 790 has been my "standard" of comfy as hell.
The footpegs on the 890 feel too high and my knee angle is noticeably smaller. Got an injury on the left cap so thats pretty much a no go :( unless I figure out how to refit the 890 to have the same knee / leg position, I will be getting the 790 as my next bike this year. Anyone else noticed or wondering the same?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone,
Wasn't planning on this but when I went to my KTM dealer to pickup the KTM 690 Enduro R that I ordered last year. They had an KTM 890 Duke R on the show room floor. When I saw it and sat on it, and immediately knew I was in trouble. The KTM 790 Duke that I purchased last year (2019) is still in my mind, a great bike. I did have the suspension upgraded to WP Apex forks & shock and this is what really made the 790 Duke my favorite bike (until the 890 Duke), the suspension is the best I've ever had on any of my motorcycles. That being said, I love the new riding position on the 890 R over that of the 790 Duke, which has flater handle bars and foot pegs that are a little higher and rearward, this puts you in a slightly leaning forward position, sort of reminded me of my old Suzuki SV-650. I love the new motor its a hoot to ride in the twisties as you don't have to ring it's neck to move along briskly. I also never had top of the line brakes on any of my motorcycles, so I was immediately jealous, Brembo envy <|;-) the 790 brakes are OK but they don't give you the feeling that the Brembo's give you unless you get other brake pads, Vesrah or EBC. Also the Michelin Power Cup tires are amazing. It was also nice that I could take my trick parts off of the 790 and put them on the 890. The KTM 890 Duke R is just better in a lot of areas that the KTM 790 Duke needed improvements in. Lastly there are only 500 coming into the US and this does provide a small measure of exclusivity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I didn't go from a 790 to 890 but I did trade my 18 Ducati Hyper 939 SP on an 890. I've only had time to get in one real ride and my initial impression is that it may be the most fun bike I've ever owned. I've had GPz, FZ, GSXR, VFR, Tuono and the Hyper through the years. I had my eye on the Duc Streetfighter and SDR but the 890 is everything I can really use on the street & then some. From what I've read, seen on Youtube and my 1 ride so far that it's "more scalpel" than a lot of SS without being wadded up like a pretzel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a deposit on a 2020 Streetfighter V4S (SFV4) for months but the dealership experience killed the deal for me. I looked at the 2020 1290 SDR as I thought it might be the next best option for me, or maybe even a better one than the SFV4. While researching the latest SDR, I ran across a few interesting posts about the 890 and the Kawi Z H2. I ended up buying the H2 and love the bike so far except for the crappy rear shock. I still was looking for something to really carve up the backroads and the 890 is probably the perfect option for me.

Best part is for slightly more $$$ than just the SFV4 alone, I can buy the 890 and the Z H2. There is one big miss on the SFV4 that I would have really hated long term, it has no cruise control. I do think KTM should have bundled all the software packages and maybe charged another 500 for the bike rather than adding them as options.

I put in an offer on the 890 and waiting to hear if they accepted it. With any luck will be picking one up later.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I picked 790 (black 2019) over 890. Gravel roads was important factor.
890 positives: about 15 hp more, suspension, more ground clearance
890 negatives: foot pegs and handlebar moved to wrong direction, no passenger seat, no QS and track mode, flashy colour, about 4000 euros more expensive with back seat, QS and track mode.

Very happy with 790. On bumpy gravel and dirt roads there would be use for front suspension upgrade. Stock is too soft. After 4000 km I know I have very little use for QS and track mode. I also know 15 hp less is no problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I picked 790 (black 2019) over 890. Gravel roads was important factor.
890 positives: about 15 hp more, suspension, more ground clearance
890 negatives: foot pegs and handlebar moved to wrong direction, no passenger seat, no QS and track mode, flashy colour, about 4000 euros more expensive with back seat, QS and track mode.

Very happy with 790. On bumpy gravel and dirt roads there would be use for front suspension upgrade. Stock is too soft. After 4000 km I know I have very little use for QS and track mode. I also know 15 hp less is no problem.
Passenger seat comes with the bike for free.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I didn't go from a 790 to 890 but I did trade my 18 Ducati Hyper 939 SP on an 890. I've only had time to get in one real ride and my initial impression is that it may be the most fun bike I've ever owned. I've had GPz, FZ, GSXR, VFR, Tuono and the Hyper through the years. I had my eye on the Duc Streetfighter and SDR but the 890 is everything I can really use on the street & then some. From what I've read, seen on Youtube and my 1 ride so far that it's "more scalpel" than a lot of SS without being wadded up like a pretzel.
I know exactly what you are saying when you claimed that the Duke 790/890 is the "most fun bike I've ever owned". Before this Duke, I thought that the FZ07 was the most fun bike I've ever owned, but I needed all the riding electronics to make street riding safer. Hence, I bought the 790. Once I got the 790, I sold all of my other street bikes (GSXR750, Ducati 948 and 996, etc). Now, I'm eyeing the Yamaha Tenere 700 for the occasional off-road and long distance trips. One thing that I don't like about the 790 is that, over 85 mph I started feeling the pressure to my neck and helmet.

·
Premium Member
2020 790 Duke
18 Posts
I just picked up my 790. The dealer had a 890 on the floor but I didn’t really look at it hard because I got $2k off MSRP on the 790. The Duke has plenty of power for me. I’ve had super fast bikes that you really can’t use to it’s full potential on the street. A K1600GT with its 165HP and 155 torque is mightily impressive. But to even get close to it’s potential on the street you’d risk your licenses being revoked. And let’s face it. If we wanted a track bike there’s tons of SuperSport used bikes out there for much less money. Who’s going to really feel comfortable giving it your all on a $12,000 bike when you can get a track bike for half the price or less. And it won’t be lacking on the performance hardly any if at all. Without a windscreen breaking a ton on my 790 makes me feel like I’m ether going to dislocate my shoulders or bend the bars from holding on for dear life. Haha. There’s always going to be something better and faster. That doesn’t mean we need it. The 790 is a wonderful bike admirably capable of keeping a smile on your face every time you ride it for the rest of your life. The 790 has the soul to keep you happy for many years to come. And isn’t that why we ride? There’s far greater capable sport bikes out there than the 790 or 890 for less money if you really want to get into it. In the end either one will keep you happy. Just don’t fret that there’s another bike out there that’s “better.” Better just like beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Or is that beer holder. Anyway. Enjoy the rides. No matter what you have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Got my 790 new this year for £2k under the original retail price here in the UK. With that kind of saving it was hard for me to justify paying nearly £3.5k more for the 890 Duke.

Also with that kind of saving, I can upgrade the tyres, brakes, suspension over time and still save a few pennies. Just won't have the bragging rights 😂

Waiting for my local ktm dealer to get a demo one in so I can go a proper blast and see what the fuss is about.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts