KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
can we have a why not? I might eventually but am in no rush now, I think other than 15 hp and the r kudos mine is better than the 890 As it stands.
yes it’s cost a bit to get where it is but who’s going to buy an 890r and not buy add ons for it.

·
Super-Moderator
123 Posts
This should get interesting... :ROFLMAO:

I'm going to guess that most people here, who've already purchased a 790D, and have invested heavily into it, are in no hurry to sell it, take the depreciation hit, and buy a 890 D R .

·
Registered
341 Posts
This should get interesting... :ROFLMAO:

I'm going to guess that most people here, who've already purchased a 790D, and have invested heavily into it, are in no hurry to sell it, take the depreciation hit, and buy a 890 D R .
You can buy a new 790 here in the uk for £6500 At the moment, when I asked about a trade in price the dealer wouldn’t even give me a price as he didn’t want to insult me.

·
Super-Moderator
123 Posts
You can buy a new 790 here in the uk for £6500 At the moment, when I asked about a trade in price the dealer wouldn’t even give me a price as he didn’t want to insult me.
It's just the way of things. 3.5 years ago I bought the latest & greatest iPhone 7+, (I got great use from it), for around $900, I'm trading it in, super-clean, for $150, so it goes, 💰🚽 :censored:

That being said, my personal feelings, coming from years in the Powersports industry, is that the 790D was overpriced from the onset, (given the components), and is now priced accordingly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Blwnbyu
Registered

Joined 3 mo ago
50 Posts
Discussion Starter • #55 4 h ago (Edited)
Ok. Now that my 890 is no longer overheating and the weather has cooperated, I can give you guys a proper review. I rode all day and never got over 4 bars. The radiator is the same temp top and bottom. My Dealer's KTM rep is an idiot though. I can elaborate more later lol.

Today, I was able to ride both bikes back to back to back to back.

I'll list the mods first so you know what I've done.

Rider: 6'1" 250 LB

2020 890R 130 Miles ODO.
KTM Tech Pack which includes ALL electronics the 790 has.
SC Project SC1 Slip On
Power Parts Mirrors
Rizoma Corsa S Front Turn Signals
MNNTHBX Tail Tidy
(Competition Werkes Link Pipe and Akra Evo Map to be installed at 600 mile service next week)

2019 Duke 790 740 Miles ODO
15 Tooth Front Sprocket.
EBC Front Brake Pads
Powerparts Exhaust Hanger/Rear Peg Delete
Stock Exhaust until my Chinese Knockoff Akrapovic Slip-on arrives
NRC Tail Tidy
890R Mirrors

I rode the 790 first this morning after not riding it since I got the 890. Even after dropping the front sprocket down a tooth last night, the 790 felt so underwhelming that I almost thought something was wrong with it. Early morning riding was just casual until the roads warmed up. ( I live in the mountains in Montana). After returning from the first ride, I had my buddy who rode my 790 alot last week (mainly on one tire) hop on the 890. He has never ridden it to this point. Even after a quick spin around the neighborhood and up to about 70 on a back road, he COULD NOT BELIEVE the difference between the two bikes, which is my same sentiment. The 890R is impressive on paper, but is even MORE impressive than it sounds.

890 Improvements versus the 790.

1. Low RPM. The 890 is MUCH smoother below 3500 rpm. You can cruise at low speed without the surging and bucking that you get on the 790.

2. Ergonomics. This one is much harder to explain. The 890R is quite a bit taller than the 790, but I can't really tell why. Regardless, for me, it just FEELS better. The handlebars are much flatter, the pegs higher and more aggressively angled down, but the bike just feels better. It does seem to be more stable above 80 mph as well. It definitely climbs over 100 alot faster and I don't feel as much wind turbulence at speed.

3. Brakes. I will say the EBC pads on the 790 are a MUST. The difference in initial bite and confidence is substantial. The lack of bite with the stock pads was downright scary. I added the EBC pads after the first day of ownership. With that being said, the Brembos on the 890 are simply phenomenal. They probably have less initial bite than the EBC's on the 790, but you know with just a hair more pull you have all the stopping power you could wish for at the tip of your fingers. The hotter you get them, the better they work. With a brake that powerful, I can't imagine wanting any more initial bite than what they already have.

4. Engine. I cannot overstate this enough. These engines do not feel like they are only 91cc apart. The 890 is more responsive, snappier, and has GOBS more torque.
This bike is the PERFECT wheelie machine for my weight. (250#) If I just roll aggressively into the throttle in first (AWM off), the front end climbs to the sky without any pull on the bars. As a matter of fact, Anti Wheelie Mode is REQUIRED to keep the front end down if you want to accelerate quickly. (I'll grab my gopro tomorrow and video for you guys). The quickshifter is smooth and fast. As a matter of fact, I ripped multiple high angle wheelies starting in first and quickshifting mid wheelie all the way through 4th gear before dropping down. The engine in the 890 is everything that the 790 is not. It pulls much harder up top, and mostly felt, is the MASSIVE amount of torque gained, from idle to redline. You feel it in every gear, at every speed. This engine reminds me of my 01 R1 ( the torquey R1's). That bike was a wheelie machine as well.

5. Suspension. The WP forks on the 890 are definitely more plush on large bumps at high speed or even setting the front end down from a wheelie. I found the suspension on my 790 to be quite harsh on big hits. The 890 is definitely smoother, and you feel a little more control from it. I have yet to play with it too much as this is technically day 2 of having the bike. I will start tuning it when I can start hitting corners hard.

6. TIRES TIRES TIRES. I've always been a michelin fan, on both bikes and cars. I remember adding Pilot Powers on my R1 and it completely changed the handling characteristics of the bike. I am very tempted to swap wheels and tires between the two bikes to see how much of the better handling comes from the Michelins (I'm guessing 90%). No one will argue that the stock tires on the 790 are not confidence inspiring. The Power Cup 2's are INCREDIBLE. The bike lays down so easily. It WANTS to corner. I literally feel bad riding on straight sections of rode just due to the tire wear on these masterpieces. Even though I'll be selling my 790 shortly once I get the title, I'm super tempted to order some new tires for it just to see how much more fun it will make it through the canyons (I have INCREDIBLE curvy 2 lane mountain roads in all directions from me)

Faults. The ONLY thing I can really complain about on the 890 is the lack of preparation on KTM's behalf with the release of the bike. KTM added heated grips to the menus AND a physical plug behind the headlight just like the 1290's have, YET, they say only the heated grips for the 790 that includes the switch will work for now. This is irritating. Just on a hunch, I borrowed the 1290 grip set and plugged them in to the plug, turned on the option in the menus, and then turned on the grips, but they didn't work. There either needs an additional control box or an update to the bikes firmware to make this work. Also, the KTM MYRIDE is a piece of **** and will not work with my Galaxy S10+ so far. The phone actually connects to the bike, I get the bluetooth Icon on the screen lit up, but go to MYRIDE and it says phone not connected. If you go to the google play store and find the MYRIDE APP, you will see hundreds of reviews complaining of the same issue. So far, that was a waste of $300...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I paid $8000 OTD US for a new 790. I don't care how much better the 890 is. I'm not going to walk away from that much savings for a fantastic bike to begin with. I'm not interested in the more aggressive ergo of the 890. That's a negative in itself. I'm only Street Rosi; I don't need all those upgraded components for the streets. But if I don't already have a 790, maybe I'll get the 890 depending how much discount I get for a 790. But honestly, the ergo is the one thing that would prevent me of buying the 890. I'm 50 years old! I'm not young anymore.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh geez. LOL 🤣
That's embarrassing.
But it is nice that KTM improved on the already great motorcycle. Now, it can go head to head with the other big boys.
It's crazy here in the US in that I don't see any KTM 790s at all on the streets. Even the dealers mentioned that they don't get many buyers for the 790. That's a shame.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I paid $8000 OTD US for a new 790. I don't care how much better the 890 is. I'm not going to walk away from that much savings for a fantastic bike to begin with. I'm not interested in the more aggressive ergo of the 890. That's a negative in itself. I'm only Street Rosi; I don't need all those upgraded components for the streets. But if I don't already have a 790, maybe I'll get the 890 depending how much discount I get for a 790. But honestly, the ergo is the one thing that would prevent me of buying the 890. I'm 50 years old! I'm not young anymore.
$8k?? That is insane.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm 50 and love my 790! Little jealous of the 890 and I'm sure it's awesome, but for the street the relaxed ergonomics and having provision for a passenger is a good thing for this old 790 owner. I've got the Coober ECU, Coober Airbox lid, Akropovic slip on, and Ohlins suspension plenty of wheelie power quick handling for this old guy. Most people can't ride the 790 to its full potential on the street let alone the race track. I giggle in my helmet every time I pass guys on bigger bikes like the1290 and sport bikes!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm 50 and love my 790! Little jealous of the 890 and I'm sure it's awesome, but for the street the relaxed ergonomics and having provision for a passenger is a good thing for this old 790 owner. I've got the Coober ECU, Coober Airbox lid, Akropovic slip on, and Ohlins suspension plenty of wheelie power quick handling for this old guy. Most people can't ride the 790 to its full potential on the street let alone the race track. I giggle in my helmet every time I pass guys on bigger bikes like the1290 and sport bikes!
Ergo isn't much changed from the 790. 890 sits higher, but it's relatively the same riding position overall. Also the 890 comes with a rear seat and footpegs for a passenger on top of the seat cowl.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts