KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a weird issue with my 790. It seems that it switches the lights from the bottom segment to the top segment on its own. So basically, without touching the switchgear, the light changes from bottom to top and back again. About every 30 seconds ish. The middle segment doesn’t come on unless you use the switch gear and turn on high beam, and accordingly all three segments then work.

Anyone else had this issue?

I have a video. I’ll try to post it but not fully sure how yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bottom section is DRL - Daytime Running Lights - and the top section is dipped beam. When the sensor thinks it's getting dark or you're in shade it switches between the two. You'll notice your screen changing from white background to black when it changes between day and night

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Ming. Thanks heaps. I thought it might be something like that, but when it was doing this the dash was the lighter day dash?

Its funny, the switch seems to have only 3 positions. So pull to flash hi beams, middle (default) DRL, and push forward position for high beams. So, how does the dipped get switched on? Is this just an automatic feature with no user control?

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yep, dip comes on when the dash thinks it's dark enough to warrant it. Seems KTM have set it up to change to night setting at the slightest hint of shade but they do take a time to switch back. At least you know you have some light at all times

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Ming.

Thanks heaps. well that puts my mind at ease. I wonder if they could have fixed that with a software update / patch when servicing. Being that my bike is 2018 I’m not holding out much hope that it gets sorted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They all do it mate.

Try getting it running in daylight and then cover the dash with a cloth. You'll see the headlights change from bottom to top. Then remove the cloth and see how long it takes for the dip beam to go out and the DRL lower lights to come on.
It'll take a bit longer but the main thing is you have lights.

I'd prefer it to have the dash display in daytime mode all the time but you can't stop it going dark when it senses you're in a darker environment

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I was just looking in the manual re the DRL. It says you can switch the DRL off which will enable the low beam permanently. Your right about the dash, it bounces back and forth like a beach ball. That doesn’t bother me too much, but thanks for clearing that up for me as I did confuse me. I don’t know of other bikes that demonstrate that behaviour of auto switching the lights fir the user. weird.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The dash changes far too quickly. Every time I go under trees it goes dark and impossible to read through a tinted visor. I hope the headlight doesn't change as quickly. Drivers might think I am flashing them to pull out of junctions.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
51 Posts
Whilst it looks nice, I personally consider that it is wise to disable DRL and thus maintain permanent dipped beam whilst riding. I think that permanent dipped beam will enable you to be noticed better by other road users, than DLR alone.
Remember - we motorcyclist are virtually 'invisible' to most other road users, so we need everything going for us to make ourselves more noticeable, including Hi-Viz clothing. Think "Safety" above all, when riding.

Reactions: dma

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all,

I have a weird issue with my 790. It seems that it switches the lights from the bottom segment to the top segment on its own. So basically, without touching the switchgear, the light changes from bottom to top and back again. About every 30 seconds ish. The middle segment doesn’t come on unless you use the switch gear and turn on high beam, and accordingly all three segments then work.

Anyone else had this issue?

I have a video. I’ll try to post it but not fully sure how yet.
Mine does the same, related to amount of sunlight. Goes to a lower fixe3de brighter light in the shade, and then back to upper level daytime running light in bright sunlight. I first noticed it rolling into my bike port.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts