KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new 2020 790 on Halloween day. Got 450 smiles/miles on it. It's been love at first ride and that feeling just keeps on growing.

My fairly recent bike list is as follows:

2014 Yamaha FZ09. Bought new and put 24k miles on it in a little over 2 years.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650. Bought used and put 22k miles on it in 2 years.

2015 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. Bought used about 6 months ago and have put 5500 miles on it.

Duke vs FZ09. The best part of the FZ is that 3 cylinder motor. A real powerhouse for 850cc's. The most power of all 4 bikes but the ride by wire throttle is very snatchy and the stock suspension is crap. The Duke has the smoothest fueling of any bike I have owned and is a true ride by wire as it does not have any cables involved. The motor in the Duke has a lot more character than the FZ and the suspension and handling of the Duke is vastly superior even after I spent $2k on suspension upgrades on the Yammy. The winner is the Duke.

Duke vs Versys 650. I really don't have anything bad to say about the Versys except it is kinda boring. It's not flashy or very fast but it will make you smile. Handling is decent and power is adequate and it's 250 mile range will allow you to ride all day without worrying about where the next gas station is located. The engine is bullet proof and will last longer than you will. Versys wow factor is pretty much non existent where the Duke is off the chart. Clear winner is the Duke.

Duke vs Aprilia Dorso. My Versys burned up in my garage fire last April. The Dorso just happened to be available at a pretty good price so I grabbed it. I actually like it a lot. The V-twin motor has a lot of character and power. The stock suspension is excellent as is the handling. The biggest down side is the seat height. Think it's around 34.5 inches and my 30 inch inseam has me on my tippy toes every time I stop. If your down foot is on the down side of even a minor slope your life flashes before you as you hope you don't fine yourself on the ground. And then there are all the oil leaks and 100 mile range between fuel stops. Also the tank is plastic and swells up after a few years. I currently have it for sale. Once again the Duke comes out on top. I cannot tell you how delighted I am to be able to flat foot a bike again.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Mountain range
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycling
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive tire

Registered
Thanks for the review! Gives us a chance to virtually ride a few more bikes :cool:

Great pictures too. Do you live somewhere in California, with those redwoods?

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the review! Gives us a chance to virtually ride a few more bikes :cool:

Great pictures too. Do you live somewhere in California, with those redwoods?
The Dorso pic was taken in front of a "cabin" at Shaver Lake. It's at 5000 foot elevation close to the lake.

Not my cabin. Definitely above my pay grade.

Some great riding in that area.

Registered
The Dorso pic was taken in front of a "cabin" at Shaver Lake. It's at 5000 foot elevation close to the lake.

Not my cabin. Definitely above my pay grade.

Some great riding in that area.
It appears you are a fan of a certain aftermarket seat. Can I ask who made your seats?

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears you are a fan of a certain aftermarket seat. Can I ask who made your seats?
Seth Laam Custom Seats. He is a one man show up in Redding California.

He has done 4 seats for me and I am thinking about number 5 for my 790. Each seat was a work of art and is a Hawaiian vacation for your butt.

Seth uses your stock seat pan so it easily fits back on your bike, unlike some of the other custom seats that have their own seat pan. He blends several different densities of foam and shapes it for maximum comfort. Most stock seats have a crown that puts the most pressure on your tail bone. Laam seats are dished out so they distribute the load onto your hips and legs, not just your tail bone and buns. It will turn an ass burner into an all day rocket.

The price is considerable less than most custom seats and the quality is excellent. All my seats cost just $399 and trust me that is a steal.

Here is a link to his Facebook page where you can see pics of hundreds of his seats. https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=laam custom motorcycle seats

If you decide to order one go to his website. Laam Custom Motorcycle Seats

Don't bother trying to call. You order on the website then he will call you to talk about the seat order and issue you a production date. About a week prior to production date you box up your seat and ship it to him. Once he gets it the turn around time is about one week. It's a bit of a process but worth every minute of your time.

Registered
Seth Laam Custom Seats. He is a one man show up in Redding California.

He has done 4 seats for me and I am thinking about number 5 for my 790. Each seat was a work of art and is a Hawaiian vacation for your butt.

Seth uses your stock seat pan so it easily fits back on your bike, unlike some of the other custom seats that have their own seat pan. He blends several different densities of foam and shapes it for maximum comfort. Most stock seats have a crown that puts the most pressure on your tail bone. Laam seats are dished out so they distribute the load onto your hips and legs, not just your tail bone and buns. It will turn an ass burner into an all day rocket.

The price is considerable less than most custom seats and the quality is excellent. All my seats cost just $399 and trust me that is a steal.

Here is a link to his Facebook page where you can see pics of hundreds of his seats. https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=laam custom motorcycle seats

If you decide to order one go to his website. Laam Custom Motorcycle Seats

Don't bother trying to call. You order on the website then he will call you to talk about the seat order and issue you a production date. About a week prior to production date you box up your seat and ship it to him. Once he gets it the turn around time is about one week. It's a bit of a process but worth every minute of your time.
Thanks for the info. Not going to do anything just yet. My longest day ride has been just over 200 miles and I'm curretly just under 1k. 200+ is doable on the stock seat, we'll have to see how many more miles the old rear end can handle in a setting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts