KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any have an idea if or when this will become reality?
Nothing at all wrong with the standard 790 but I’d like to see specs or get an idea of when it will be out before making a purchase.
Sold me previous bike so on the hunt for the replacement.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Any have an idea if or when this will become reality?
Nothing at all wrong with the standard 790 but I’d like to see specs or get an idea of when it will be out before making a purchase.
Sold me previous bike so on the hunt for the replacement.
If you're UK based,, IF IF IF they make one, it won't be till lat 2020, US, i'd say 2021....

But none have been really discussed anyway. According to my dealer, they won't make an R.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m in the UK, my ‘local’ dealer is Colwyn Bay and when I spoke the them over the phone a few months back they didn’t know anything. Makes the decision to go for the 790 that bit easier I guess.

·
Wish You Were Here
619 Posts
I’m in the UK, my ‘local’ dealer is Colwyn Bay and when I spoke the them over the phone a few months back they didn’t know anything. Makes the decision to go for the 790 that bit easier I guess.
I think the answer is no one knows, best guesses ….

I think the standard is very good
unless your looking at the track for most road riders its more than good enough

·
Registered
276 Posts

Even on track with a set of Supercorsas fitted it's fine for fast group. Several fast lads rode one round track with no issues at all. I was happy in Inters on it without doubt.

·
Registered
236 Posts

Even on track with a set of Supercorsas fitted it's fine for fast group. Several fast lads rode one round track with no issues at all. I was happy in Inters on it without doubt.
Pleasant experience on track here aswell, even thou I had the stock tires:). Can’t wait for next season with new tires and wider bars!

·
Wish You Were Here
619 Posts
my point is that, its such a good bike in standard
Do you want to wait 1-2-3 plus years on the off chance the R will be made?

Remember they charge a significant premium of the 690 from standard to R

if your worried save money buy a used 790 and swap if as and when the R comes out

·
Registered
276 Posts
my point is that, its such a good bike in standard
Do you want to wait 1-2-3 plus years on the off chance the R will be made?

Remember they charge a significant premium of the 690 from standard to R

if your worried save money buy a used 790 and swap if as and when the R comes out
The slight difference here is that the 690 as stock was a bit weak in the suspension department, so the 690R was quite a step up... however the 790 isn't at all weak in suspension, so for most people the R would only be pose factor, not an actual improvement mostly.

·
Wish You Were Here
619 Posts
The slight difference here is that the 690 as stock was a bit weak in the suspension department, so the 690R was quite a step up... however the 790 isn't at all weak in suspension, so for most people the R would only be pose factor, not an actual improvement mostly.

Agree

so what would a 790R have?
1/ adjustable suspension probably, but most people would not gain meaningfully by this due to lack of skill in setup
2/ better front brakes probably, slight gain, i certainly prefer my modded front brake
3/ different exhaust probably, this could be a win as a lot of people have, like me changed or are considering exhaust changes.
4/ more power not sure as the cat will stay, can they increase RPM and or compression, yes, maybe a a few HP.
5/ Better tyres, yes
6/ lighter wheels, too expensive

how many would pay £2k more not many i think
how many 690R's where sold comparing with standard 690 anyone?

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
I think something be lost in translation here - no one said anything about an A2 R version.

The image doesn’t prove anything other than there may be an R at some point, likely 2020.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I really don’t think the R version will be out soon or maybe never will. People in general are not buying because of the suspension or brakes.

So I do not see any advantage to KTM release a R version for now. Just a few people will pay extra bucks for more equipment when you already have a great setup in standard version.

Sometimes the wait is not worth it.

When a person looks to a bike and dreams riding that machine, just get one and be happy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts